Shooting corvids using a plastic owl

Dead-Eyed Duck

Using a plastic owl is probably the easiest way of consistently shooting crows.

Put the owl on a fence post on on a stake with a dead rabbit/pigeon nearby.

Here's hoping this pic ends up being attached

post-2687-1172518341.jpg

Well, it appears to have worked.

The ideal time to set up is just before dawn as the crows are flighting out.

These few were shot in a couple of hours on a Saturday morning - the magpie was a bonus.

Don

I've used Hootie for years, and the sight of a big, brutal owl always drives crows demented. All their common sense seems to go out of the window.

Don't over-use it as they soon get wise to it.

As always when crow bashing, an excellent hide and cammo gear (including face veil etc) is essential.

As you can see on the pic on this occasion I put a dead pigeon on the floor only a couple of feet away, with the belly uppermost and feathers strewn about.

I suppose that you could use one of the smaller owl decoys or a plastic hawk, but Hootie has always worked for me :blink: :blink:

Don

I thought it was something to do with owls big eyes. Good shooting by the way :blink:

what do you mean he had 60 shot,s that day. :blink: :lol::lol:

****** off Magman.

I wuz using Rotweil 36g and not too many got away :lol::P:D

Anyway, all you're good at shooting are slow woodcock. With my muzzle loaders you couldn't hit a barn door - even when shooting 2.5 oz of No 5 shot :D:D:D

Don

Not heard of the owl idea till now. There are 1000 of crows at the horse stud where my girlfriend works, this also borders my permission and are a pain in the ****. I've not attempted to have a go at them as i always setup away from the stud for noise reasons and i'm then a bit far away from their normal roosting. But this might help draw them in.

Just to confirm is it just a bog standard garden centre garden ornament? Thanks for the interesting idea.

Not heard of the owl idea till now. There are 1000 of crows at the horse stud where my girlfriend works, this also borders my permission and are a pain in the ****. I've not attempted to have a go at them as i always setup away from the stud for noise reasons and i'm then a bit far away from their normal roosting. But this might help draw them in.

Just to confirm is it just a bog standard garden centre garden ornament? Thanks for the interesting idea.

I bought mine from a game fair, but have seen them in garden centres.

I repeat though, you have to be very well hidden to get the best results. Using one near to a tree works well, as the crows will land in the tree to have a good look at the owl.

Don

I thought it was something to do with owls big eyes. Good shooting by the way :blink:

what do you mean he had 60 shot,s that day. :lol::lol::lol:

****** off Magman.

I wuz using Rotweil 36g and not too many got away :P:D:D

Anyway, all you're good at shooting are slow woodcock. With my muzzle loaders you couldn't hit a barn door - even when shooting 2.5 oz of No 5 shot :D:D:D

Don

just remember this when i have a red letter day later on this year :blink:

as for slow woodcock i wish , but it brought a nice smile to my face seeing a 50 mile an hour one drop :D

as for muzzle loaders had a chesty cough ever since to much smoke ?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is it about the owl that brings the crows in? :lol:

I think the crow's see the owl as a threat so mob them! I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong?

That is correct, they are nothing but bullys and will take on any bird of prey.

Especially if they appear to of made a kill, once out of the scene they turn on each other and fight for the food.

They rely on their intimidating numbers and are pure evil!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is it about the owl that brings the crows in? :lol:

I think the crow's see the owl as a threat so mob them! I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong?

Especially if they appear to of made a kill, once out of the scene they turn on each other and fight for the food.

They rely on their intimidating numbers and are pure evil!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

Hence the name given to a gathering of crows.......... :lol: D2D

Hence the name given to a gathering of crows.......... :lol: D2D

Thanks guys... I'll have a trawl around the garden centres for Mr Owl :lol:

Been thinking about getting an owl from Deben (there local to me) for a while just never got around to it, looking at this I think I will invest in one at the weekend :good:

Can you leave the crows where they fall or will the shot ones on the ground put any others off?

Do the crows actually land on the ground or just fly around mobbing the owl ?

On our shoot it's the middle of lambing and I'd rather use the rimfire for less noise if I can.

good shooting :good:

They fly around mobbing the owl. Now and again they will land in a nearby tree for a closer look.

When you shoot any you can either pick up straight away, or leave on the ground in the same manner as a shot pigeon for decoys.

Don