10 bore cartridge availability

Am thinking of getting a ten for the geese and am having difficulty finding what non lead shells are available.

Would prefer not to use steel and for the numbers I'd use (max 50 per season) home loading isnt viable.

Any help welcome.

Edited by grahamch

Remington Nitro steel, is good. Gamebore are also doing 10 ga steel. I don't shoot a massive amount of 10 ga because 50 shells is or should be about 25 geese but I do handload as its about type and availability.

Aliant steel, SAM1 Wad , Remington cases, RTO (on the kitchen table)

Am thinking of getting a ten for the geese and am having difficulty finding what non lead sheels are available.

Would prefer not to use steel and for the numbers I'd use (max 50 per season) home loading isnt viable.

Any help welcome.

Why is steel not an option?

Have seenn too many non kills with steel and heard very bad reports on its ballisitc effectiveness,

Like many others on PW I'm sure, I have been using steel for many years, with no problems. Are you sure the many non kills you have seen isn't because the shooter has been under estimating range when taking the shot.

Put modern steel in the right place and it will kill, put it slightly off and it will wound, miss completely and well I'm sure you can guess. Just the same as lead really. My mate used Gamebore rhino to very good effect last year on our trips up north. Some long range birds stone dead.

If you don't want to use steel its going to cost you to feed a 10.

Have seenn too many non kills with steel and heard very bad reports on its ballisitc effectiveness,

It is far better to try for yourself than to believe all that you see/hear. Steel is not as dense as lead, but pushed fast and with a high pellet count, it is very effective.

Its a load of rot to say steel wounds, all shot wounds when you don't put it in the right place or shoot beyond its truly lythal range. Steel will drop blooming big Greys and Canadas out the sky all day long if you do your bit. FYI Remington Nitro steel factory BBB in 10 ga will punch pretty much all pellets through 9mm best ply at a measured 50 yards- Now tell me that's not Lythal or Humane.

What does happen is people look for something to blame other than themselves, only bad thing about steel is you can break teeth on it, tungsten is not good for you and neither is bismuth health wise and lead does poison fowl taking in grit.

Found a good site online to buy from.

John forsey guns loads of choice for non toxic but not cheap. I'm just considering a 10 bore oddly I'm not finding much lead shot for it locally.

I don't think you will these days Tyrone unless someone has some old stock. 10 bores are really considered as fowling guns, so I would imagine most manufacturers are concentrating on non toxic.

John forsey guns loads of choice for non toxic but not cheap. I'm just considering a 10 bore oddly I'm not finding much lead shot for it locally.

Well they aint using lead much with 10 ga in the USA and inland away from water in Scotland is a small market within 10 ga use, lets face it you can still get lead no3 - BB in a 3" 12 ga

I have it on good authority that John Forsey get most of their cartridges from Country Way Guns in West Malling so may be cheaper going to them direct if you decide to order some ( I stand to be corrected, but a friend has witnessed them buying huge amounts there )

http://www.countrywaygunshop.co.uk/steel-tungsten-matrix-and-bismuth-shotgun-cartridges/

http://www.johnforsey.co.uk/ammunition.html

Edited by belly47

In the USA and in the UK a lot of fowlers use steel in there older full choked sxs 10 bores, Jim.

There has been some previous threads on this. My advise from a Birmingham barrel gunsmith is to be on the safe side they should be opened to at least half bore. He did three 10 bores for me. One of which was a members gun that was already showing a slight bulge after only shooting a handful of cartridges through it. He checked it and said it would be safe once opened up. Dread to think what could have happened. A knackered gun at best.

Local dealer has 4 slabs of Winchester double x magnum Turkey 64g 4s my 10 is full and full not good for steel you see

As it is illegal to shoot lead at wildfowl except inland in scotland etc then you need to get your ten bored out so it is suitable for steel ideally.

As it is illegal to shoot lead at wildfowl except inland in scotland etc then you need to get your ten bored out so it is suitable for steel ideally.

And as I think you would agree fenboy, if you are shooting inland in Scotland you would presumably be shooting over decoys on the fields so you wouldn't need a 10 bore. 12 bore steel are cheaper and would be more than appropriate for the job.

And as I think you would agree fenboy, if you are shooting inland in Scotland you would presumably be shooting over decoys on the fields so you wouldn't need a 10 bore. 12 bore steel are cheaper and would be more than appropriate for the job.

Yes I certainly agree , the 10 is a gun for the foreshore , which is why I cannot understand him looking for lead loads.

Well fen boy. It's actually bought for fun and is now the penalty gun on the shoot.. It's for fun not really for serious shooting. I don't do a massive amount of wild flowing but know enough not to shoot lead.

I took a 10 bore to a corporate clay shoot some years ago when most of the guys had never shot a gun let alone a 10 bore. They loved it.