None toxic shot: Steel vs What ?

Folks,

A farm I very occasionaly walk around has some duck on a small pond and am fancying having a go at them, they havent been there before so ive always used lead for my walk arounds up there for crow, pigeon and rabbit. (The farmer is hapy for me shoot them also before anyone asks.)

I know very little about none toxic shot but I do know that my new Browning 525 is safe for steel and has the FDL stamp.

So as just for a box of 25 (am sure this will be pleanty)what brand, shot type, shot size would you recommend ?

ATB

Matt

The only thing to really consider is if you're restricted to fibre wads or not. If you are, then steel is pretty much out, I think all steel is plaswad.

If that is the case , then bismuth is probably the best choice. If you aren't shooting lots, then the price doesn't really get prohibitive

Guest cookoff013

he needs to inform the farmer that there is little choice. steel = Plastic.

when i`ve shot, i`ve picked up way more plastic wads than i`ve shot. i even picked up a carrier bag full of rusty old shells, where fibre wads were mandatory.

it is a little give and take required. going on the odd litter pick isnt above and beyond.

he needs to inform the farmer that there is little choice. steel = Plastic.

when i`ve shot, i`ve picked up way more plastic wads than i`ve shot. i even picked up a carrier bag full of rusty old shells, where fibre wads were mandatory.

it is a little give and take required. going on the odd litter pick isnt above and beyond.

I normally pick wads up when I have had a good day on the pigeon if the crops are not too tall , they mostly all fall in a similar area at a similar range so its no great task at the end of a session

May be a bit more difficult over water , but I guess they will all blow into the windward bank.

So you say you're not going to use plaswads, to avoid upsetting the farmer, but then, all of a sudden, you are going to use steel and plaswads.

Bizarre. But hey, it's your permission to risk losing

Hi Robbie, it isnt ideal but with the price difference in mind and that I may be lucky to have 4-6 shots its not going to hert me to have a walk around after and pick up the wads if I can find them is it. Have you seen the price of these cartidges, I was shocked as I was none the wiser.

ATB

Matt

http://www.gamebore.com/products/37/12g-silver-steel-fibre

Gamebore ITM can be had in fibre and Eley Bismuth fibre / photo-degradeable also

-H

What he said. Gambore silver steel is 32g 4's with a fiber wad. They are a great duck and all purpose load. They are in limited supply, but last I knew just cartridges had some from the last production run. For shooting a flight pond, there is no reason to use anything else.

thanks

rick

Hi Robbie, it isnt ideal but with the price difference in mind and that I may be lucky to have 4-6 shots its not going to hert me to have a walk around after and pick up the wads if I can find them is it. Have you seen the price of these cartidges, I was shocked as I was none the wiser.

ATB

Matt

It would be more expensive to go against the farmer's wishes and have to find a new place than just buying a couple 'premium' non toxic if you're only shooting < 10 a year. A handful of Bismuth fiber 4's isn't going to set you back much and most dealers will have some.

thanks

rick

Gamebore silver steel come in a fibre cup for steel. There was a post on here not that long ago about a shoot where they have to use fibre wads and they got the above carts.

Personally I wouldn't say anything and just pick up your wads.

Bismuth is expensive.

Figgy

It would be more expensive to go against the farmer's wishes and have to find a new place than just buying a couple 'premium' non toxic if you're only shooting < 10 a year. A handful of Bismuth fiber 4's isn't going to set you back much and most dealers will have some.

thanks

rick

That's the point I was trying to make too. If you're only shooting 10 or 20 shells a season then the additional cost over steel isn't going to break the bank. (£30 for a box of bismuth, £7 for plaswad steel, so £23 saving for a box)

It's all fine saying "say nothing, just pick up your plaswads", but if you happen to miss one, and the farmer finds it ... and if he's said fibre only ... you've potentially lost your permission.

If it happens to be a FAC permission too, and it's your 'good reason', then it could be goodbye FAC too.

All for a saving of £20 or so.

Gamebore silver steel come in a fibre cup for steel. There was a post on here not that long ago about a shoot where they have to use fibre wads and they got the above carts.

Personally I wouldn't say anything and just pick up your wads.

Bismuth is expensive.

Figgy

That was our shoot. Fiber only, even for ducks and geese.

rick