FAC Shotgun application questions?

Dan.

Hello everyone,

I am currently going through my FAC and SGC application process.

I have put down the normal callibers of .22 and .17hmr for vermin control and .223 for fox.

But I have come across a problem, was looking towards putting in for 1 FAC shotgun with the supporting reason of vast quantities of short range vermin to be dispatched to which I have been told it is not a good enough reason to justify the weapon.

If this is the case what would be good enough justification for an FAC shotgun?

thanks again

Dan

I live in North Yorkshire.

Last July my FAC was up for renewal and I put in for a Sec 1 Shotgun - good reason being vermin control. Short or long range not even brought up.

Long story short - it was approved and I now own a Benelli Supernova that holds way more than two in the tube.

Always double check "what you've been told" as you did.

Playing the devil's advocate, unless it's rats where arguably an air rifle would be better, perhaps they're wondering why you need two short range vermin guns particularly as one is far cheaper to run. That is provided of course you didn't mention any safety distance aspect. If you didn't, it might be worth explaining/emphasising that aspect and try again.

But see above.

Ye that's what I was thinking of putting down.

It does mean I have 3 FAC guns for shorter vermin control, but I suppose I could maybe put down it's for close vast amounts of moving vermin?

I will have a SGC shotgun also but that will be a clay/game gun and probably just an O/U to conform :)

Edited by Dan.

I was once turned down for a 2nd S1 shotgun as I'd given my reason as vermin control, (rabbits basically) so phoned up to complain. FEO told me to re-apply and give my reason as 'the shooting of avian species under the terms and conditions of the wildlife and countryside act 19 something or other'. It came back within the week, granted. :yes:

Playing the devil's advocate, unless it's rats where arguably an air rifle would be better, perhaps they're wondering why you need two short range vermin guns particularly as one is far cheaper to run.

Not their concern.

I have 6 rimfire rifles and a FAC shotgun for vermin. A shotgun is a very different beast to any rimfire (squirrels, pigeon, crows etc). A FAC shotgun should really be a formality on a FAC.

Ye I will be putting in for a BASC membership soon :)

I will put it down as for the above and include a few of the above reasons and also go over it in my covering letter :)

Do it now! If you wait and application is rejected you won't be covered!

S1 as in high mag capacity? Or as in short barrel?

Not their concern.

I have 6 rimfire rifles and a FAC shotgun for vermin. A shotgun is a very different beast to any rimfire (squirrels, pigeon, crows etc). A FAC shotgun should really be a formality on a FAC.

How do you mean not their concern?

And how do you it should really be a formality on a FAC?

sorry if the questions seem stupid but I haven't sent off the application yet and I just want it to be pretty **** proof tbh

not knowing your job/age etc is a bit hard to say why, but it seems your asking for a lot on first application for both shotgun and firearms certs

Im a full time pest controller, working for one of the big names, I applied for my shotgun cert first, then a year later my firearms, at that time I asked for the cert to be open, and also for a sec 1 shotgun, they gave me the open cert on first application due to my job, but turned me down on the sec 1 as not needed (I said it was for pigeon control)

it's now been a couple of years, I put in for a variation, giving up one of my .22 rimfires, and asking for a sec 1 for squirrel control, for dray blasting (I own woodland and have permission on a further 80 plus acres) and was given it within two weeks

so I would suggest, get your tickets, leave it a year, then ask again,

Im a full time pest controller, working for one of the big names, I applied for my shotgun cert first, then a year later my firearms, at that time I asked for the cert to be open, and also for a sec 1 shotgun, they gave me the open cert on first application due to my job, but turned me down on the sec 1 as not needed (I said it was for pigeon control)

Did they not believe you had pigeons to shoot? Did you get the refusal in writing from the firearms licensing manager? Did you challenge the refusal using your shooting organisation?

Or did the FEO ask you to remove it from your application and you did without fuss?

There is nothing wrong with rocking the boat if your FEO is being awkward. If you are fit to be entrusted with a SGC and a FAC the a section 1 shotgun should be a formality. Accept nothing less.

not knowing your job/age etc is a bit hard to say why, but it seems your asking for a lot on first application for both shotgun and firearms certs

it's now been a couple of years, I put in for a variation, giving up one of my .22 rimfires, and asking for a sec 1 for squirrel control, for dray blasting (I own woodland and have permission on a further 80 plus acres) and was given it within two weeks

so I would suggest, get your tickets, leave it a year, then ask again,

I work for the Royal Navy as a day job hence why I feel I can apply for such weapons straight off as actually I have shot 1000s of .223cf rounds prior to application.

FAC shot gun is mainly for crop protection on a 210 acre permission I have and the reason I see it fit to apply is due to the density of avian vermin attacking the crops and also the high volume of short range vermin (grey squirrel and rabbit) we also get on the other permissions I have.

All land owners have put down FAC shotgun on the calibers to be used section to get this point across to them I just need to wait and see what they come up with now when the receive it.

I work for the Royal Navy as a day job hence why I feel I can apply for such weapons straight off as actually I have shot 1000s of .223cf rounds prior to application.

Ahh,

that might not work in your favour as well as you think it should.

some police forces can be a little cautious in granting a FAC to those in the forces.

i know devon and cornwall are.

i know 2 people that have been refused certain calibres by d&c.

one serving and one ex.

to be fair, they both had asked for .243 and one asked for .308. both flat out refused.

both raised the point about being in the forces and were told that it doesnt stand for anything and that they look at serving and ex military even more closely before granting incase of PTSD and other such underlying ilnesses.

personally, i can understand that way of thinking. i know that my best friend wasnt exactly in the right kind of place in his mind when he got back from afghan, and that d&c were totally justified in refusing him.

dont get me wrong though dan, im not for one moment saying that i dont think your suitable for FAC. just stating what the 2 people i know were told. :good:

Edited by brett1985