Why are there so many different types of rifle bullet?

955i

Target bullets are target bullets.

Some target bullets "can" be used for hunting.

Some target bullets are too frangible to be used for close range hunting and can make a bit of a mess if clipping bone

If the range is extended then they could be a good choice bullet

Some expanding ammo is designed to expand rapidly on varmints.

Some expanding is designed to retain weight to get good exits.

Some expanding is designed for moderate stalking ranges with impact velocities lower. Put these in a faster cartridge at a shorter range and you get different terminal performance.

And so it goes on.

There are a lot of cross over bullets for a given cartridge but there is room for many different bullets

Target bullets are target bullets.

Some target bullets "can" be used for hunting.

Some target bullets are too frangible to be used for close range hunting and can make a bit of a mess if clipping bone

If the range is extended then they could be a good choice bullet

Some expanding ammo is designed to expand rapidly on varmints.

Some expanding is designed to retain weight to get good exits.

Some expanding is designed for moderate stalking ranges with impact velocities lower. Put these in a faster cartridge at a shorter range and you get different terminal performance.

And so it goes on.

There are a lot of cross over bullets for a given cartridge but there is room for many different bullets

Thanks Mr Tumble :lol:

My head hurts now, starting to wish I hadn't asked LOL

To some extent u are right, when i was a boy and starting keepering there was very little choice in calibres, most keepers would have 2x 22lr (1 with a mod and subsonics for lamping and 1 with High velocity for daytime/longer range work) and a 243 for foxing and possibly a 270/308 for larger deer species, and in thse days no mod's on cf rifles.

Can still mind when the boss got his first 222, wot a pleasure it was to shoot, no kck at all, even the 243 packs a bit of a kick with no mod when ur just a young boy

Now there is so many different calibres that there will be some degree in overlap between them. Probablly not a lot off difference between most of the 22cf rifles, but there is a bit of a difference betwwen a 223 and a 243, basically a 243 will fire a bullet 2x as heavy, 50ish grains to ur 100 grain, where if u move up to a 308/3006 ur up to around 200 grain

And then u get on to the different bullet design like wot bk has highlighted above.

For hunting all to do with penetration, proper expansion and stopping power

It can be as complicated as u want it to be, but all u have to do is find a calibre/bullet thats is legal and works and the rest doesnae matter.

A lot of these more modernly fashionable calibres/bullets are just a fashion gimmick really

Many would disagree with me, but i think ur right there is no need for that many calibres so similar in size, in my opinion. Keepers/stalkers managed for years before all these calibre were popular. And u then have ur custom wildcat rounds in between the more normal calibre's.

Not to say some of the more fashionable 'modern' calibres re not more 'ballistically' sound than some of the older 1's, like i said earlier the 22cf rounds are a vast improvemnt for foxing compared to using a 243 but it still does the job

Also i think u may be getting bullets and calibres mudled up? I think hornady is a bullet manufacter not a calibre (but i may be wrong) in very very basic terms the calibre is the barrel dia (smilar to guages in shotguns) while bullet type is design/shape of the bullet 'head' (and i realise there is no such thing) ur soft point, ballistic tip etc

Dunno wot is driving all these calibres wether it is the rifle/ammo makers trying to sell u more rifles u dinae really need or folk trying to be different/better than each other?

Whereas 30+ years ago all that mattered was the rifle/ammo combo done the business no one cared wot it was or wot it looked like

fingers in pies,your main competitor comes out with a claimed all the bells n whistles bullet ,u buy a box dismantle it ,copy it with a subtle variation so no copyright violation and bingo .people buy it to compare jobs a good un.people like choice so theyl wonder whose is best and u have ten bullets in the same calibre all claiming the same thing

Well even in the smaller rounds you get HMR, HWR, Hornady, Hornet (think they are all right).

Surely there can't be a need for that many differences in one calibre, or am I totally not on the right track :/

Why are there so many threads used in engineering....bsf whitworth unf unef unc bsp pspt metric x3 plus loads more all because they have a different use.....

TEH