Advise Please

WildCamper1982

I asked my friend if I could tag along with him this Saturday on a driven day to see what it's like. He said it was fine after clearing it with the shoot captain first. I will not be shooting, just standing on the peg with him observing what goes on, carrying his guns etc. I thought I best put a shirt and tie, jumper, mole skins and wellies on so I at least look half smart. What is the form on tipping? Do I have to tip the game keeper or shoot captain if I'm just watching? Or will a few beers in the pub after be suffice? Don't want to embarrass myself by not doing the right thing on the day!

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Iain

Guest cookoff013

Just watch and don't express any opinions on the quality of the birds, the standard of shooting, the dog work etc. Don't worry about the drinks, that is for others too.

yep, stay quiet.

dont express any opinion about anything. as you didnt pay for the shooting you have little opinion anyway.

Do not forget that there are paying people there and they have paid for shooting. they have probably worked hard to earn that chance.

dress smart and have a fun day,

yep, stay quiet.

dont express any opinion about anything. as you didnt pay for the shooting you have little opinion anyway.

Do not forget that there are paying people there and they have paid for shooting. they have probably worked hard to earn that chance.

dress smart and have a fun day,

Yes this is very true, I full appreciate people have spent there hard earned money to shoot and I wouldn't dream of giving my opinion on anything. I have only been shooting for a year and couldn't possible comment on anything I know very little about.

I will happy watch and enjoy the day as its new for me and who knows in the future it may lead to me having my own day out.

If it interests you, then you might want to offer to assist with some beating while you're at it. If you do, then explain to the head beater that you are an absolute novice. Even if it's just working a hedgerow, or acting as a stop, you'll get a great deal of experience, and it'll help to make the day even better.

Whatever you do though, here's hoping you have a great day.

Not too cold yet but a whole day standing can be tiresome perhaps see if you can watch the first couple of drives and then join the beaters and dogs (they have far more fun)

Well this is it, least I would get to see both sides of the coin so to speak.

I've heard that they have a good laugh beating :-)

I did exactly the same thing with a friend years ago on the Whitfield estate,ended up shooting,as one of the guns couldn't make it,and as the gun had paid(another friend of mine) I got a days driven pheasant,duck and partridge for free,lol.enjoy your day mate...............

On the shoot that I'm part of, we do walk one stand one - so we beat for one drive, shoot the next, as 2 'squads'. The satisfaction from being able to work a patch of woodland and present good birds to the guns is great.

And yes, it's a good laugh too.

That sounds a good idea to mix it up a bit like that, I'm looking forward to seeing them flying over.

you're fine,no tip required,will be viewed as a loader...have you cleared that you are having lunch?Some shoots will make small charge for extra place at table.

Thank you, my friend told me to bring some sandwiches so I presume it's more of a quick break and shoot through type of day as oppose to a formal type dinner. ( Could be wrong tho). Either that or they will pop me in a shed to eat my sarnie's on my own!

Don't forget your ear plugs. .. standing next to a gun all day gets a bit noisey. And a stick is always handy especially if you join the beating line. Enjoy

Will do cobber thanks, I can imagine it can get quite noisy like on the clay ground without them.

I did exactly the same thing with a friend years ago on the Whitfield estate,ended up shooting,as one of the guns couldn't make it,and as the gun had paid(another friend of mine) I got a days driven pheasant,duck and partridge for free,lol.enjoy your day mate...............

Wow that was lucky! Bet you had a great day, just started my first wildfowling season this year, so will be nice to see the other side to game shooting, it seems to be worlds apart in a lot of ways! Cheers.