Shotgun renewal

turk101

Hi guys i have'nt posted for ages, but still read the post's on the site(still excellent).

Anyway had a visit from the london/essex police for my shotgun renewal, very routine & actually much more friendly & easy than expected. The major problem being after all the inspection's etc he asked for my shotgun licence so he could take it away, as these were the new goverment laws. i hesitantly but firmly said i was not willing to do this because i would need it if i went shooting, & was not prepared to take the chance.

He said he would give me his number & if i got stopped i could get the to ring him, & that it was similar to driving a car you need a license but don't have to carry it with you. i tried not to sound cocky but said i thought this was wrong, in the end he said when i get my new one i can take the photo of the old one & return it by post.

I have never heard of this before has anyone else experienced anything like this?

regards to all turk101

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he show you any ID??

Don't like the sound of this (don't want to worry you), but a bit more info required.

What do you mean about the photo off the old one???

When is your SGC renewal date up??

Have you filled in the renewal form?? He can't take your SGC if you have not sent in any forms, as your ticket should be sent in with the forms.

Taking his number is no good, because if you got stopped it would be on file anyway, and they would have to do the checks there and then.

Ring the Firearms dept as soon as and explain.

And NO it's not new government laws at all :good::/

It is an offense not to be able to produce your license when asked to do so by a Policeman when on a shoot. So on that basis he is wrong. But just like Kip, it all smells fishy to me. Contact the Firearms Department as soon as possible.

It is an offense not to be able to produce your license when asked to do so by a Policeman when on a shoot. So on that basis he is wrong. But just like Kip, it all smells fishy to me. Contact the Firearms Department as soon as possible.

says who? axe

i never take my licence with me never ever it could get wet muddy or get lost

so whos rule is this and is it different in scotland??

i think i had to send my licenceses in with my appliction for renewal of my coterminos (spelling lol)

never given this any thought before

any info would be grand and where can i read up on this ?

thanks kirky :good:

Lothian & Borders police will accept a Photcopy of SGC or FAC, because of the amount of people who lose the original's.

When and if you do lose your original you get a mark against you, because you are bound by the conditions to keep them safe :good:

t is an offense not to be able to produce your license when asked to do so by a Policeman when on a shoot

sorry Axe but thats wrong mate. there is no legal requirement to carry fac/sgc.

the plot thickens :good:

whats a man to think ??/

where can we read up on this

as i dont think its necessary to carry one all the time when shooting as any police man could check on there computer by radio to see if you are cool

kirky

Mark,

If you cannot produce your SGC or FAC the police have the power to confiscate your weapons until you provide the documents.

i know that kip.

if you have any id with you at all there is no need for the old bill to arrest guns.if they do, they are being very annal.

Hi guys

Kip NO he did'nt show any i.d , but in his defense it was a pre-booked appointment, so i knew when he was coming.

My SGC is up next month so still got some time in them regards.

My application forms had all been sent & received by police, he had them with him.

All in all i'm pretty certain he was genuine but i think he is new to the job or not very well informed.

Very unusual for the firearms department.

Oh he meant when i received the new SGC i should cut out the photo on the old SGC & send it back in the post, that way no one could do anything with it(supposedly)

Regards turk101

Well i have never heard of that,(keeping your old ticket with no photo) but glad it was OK.

Take a photocopy of your current cert, then send it by registered post to them, you will be legal.

I am waiting for my FAC & SGC renewal, my FAC runs out on Friday so if i don't get my FAC by then i have to put my rifle's into storage with an RFD, but i can keep my shotties because my ticket for them runs out next year.

Do you have to put guns in storage rfd if you are do not have in your possesion your sgc.the reason i ask is i moved house so had to hand in my sgc for the change of adress,which by the way took 4 MONTH to come back after 6 phone calls to the firearms department.They even had to take a phone call from my local gunshop to ok the purchase of cartridges.Iwas technicaly still licensed but if anyone asked to produce my license i had nothing to produce.

Do you have to put guns in storage rfd if you are do not have in your possesion your sgc.the reason i ask is i moved house so had to hand in my sgc for the change of adress,which by the way took 4 MONTH to come back after 6 phone calls to the firearms department.They even had to take a phone call from my local gunshop to ok the purchase of cartridges.Iwas technicaly still licensed but if anyone asked to produce my license i had nothing to produce.

i was in the same position during a variation.got a visit from a arv

and had no ticket on me. all they did was call the firearms department.

I am waiting for my FAC & SGC renewal, my FAC runs out on Friday so if i don't get my FAC by then i have to put my rifle's into storage with an RFD, but i can keep my shotties because my ticket for them runs out next year.

Mine both run out tomorrow and i,ve been told not to expect them back for 6-8 weeks :blink:

No need to store them as you are still a ticket holder until denied your renewal :blink: so they tell me <_<

not to expect them back for 6-8 weeks

they can if they may be bothered issue an emergency ticket .

Did ask for one once :blink:

and was told its a lot off hassle <_<

Funny thing happened, my renewal appeared on my door step the next day :o ???:lol:

Which goes to prove they can do it when they want to :blink: :good:

not to expect them back for 6-8 weeks

they can if they may be bothered issue an emergency ticket .

Did ask for one once :blink:

and was told its a lot off hassle <_<

Funny thing happened, my renewal appeared on my door step the next day ???:lol::lol:

Which goes to prove they can do it when they want to :good: :o

allways ask for a covering cert as this has to be registered and goes against them not running to time .

just renewed my cert and went co terminous with a new fac , arrived a week late but not to bad .

they do like to take your old cert away with them now . dont forget they are not police just citerzens like you and me :blink:

Hi guys i have'nt posted for ages, but still read the post's on the site(still excellent).

Anyway had a visit from the london/essex police for my shotgun renewal, very routine & actually much more friendly & easy than expected. The major problem being after all the inspection's etc he asked for my shotgun licence so he could take it away, as these were the new goverment laws. i hesitantly but firmly said i was not willing to do this because i would need it if i went shooting, & was not prepared to take the chance.

He said he would give me his number & if i got stopped i could get the to ring him, & that it was similar to driving a car you need a license but don't have to carry it with you. i tried not to sound cocky but said i thought this was wrong, in the end he said when i get my new one i can take the photo of the old one & return it by post.

I have never heard of this before has anyone else experienced anything like this?

regards to all turk101

I READ SOMEWHERE RECENTLY HERE IN KENT THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE POSING AS FIREARMS OFFICERS IT SEEMS IT MAY HAVE SOME TRUTH IN IT!! BE WARNED <_< :blink: :blink: D2D

im with avon somerset and with them you dont have two send back the old cert,and i all ways take my certs with me if out shooting.iv not heard the law when they come round and take you cert.i would have phoned the firearms department befor given my certs.