Christmas newsletters, love them or hate them?

malkiserow

Christmas news letters from friends and family.......

Over the years I've had some dire ones and some good ones. Sometimes with a photo tucked inside sometimes not.

I just had one which was hard to read as it was so sad from a relative overseas who is having a number of health issues. Whilst I do feel for him, it is hardly a Christmas newsletter of joy!

Some are all about the kids which can be fun but a bit same-old-same-old.

So..... Do you love them or hate them and why.......?

Do you write one and what makes a good one?

Edited by malkiserow

My wife writes a short letter / note in every card to the people we don't see from one year to the next. I believe it makes her feel that she is closer to them again just for that moment. They all also do likewise. So keeping in touch and bringing the families up to speed so to speak works for us.

Personal notes are fine in my opinion. The round Robin boastful letter telling everyone how wonderful Tarquin and Guinivere are and how fabulous the holidays this year have been are the ones that go in the bin.

Only get one like this these days from a very distant friend.

Personal notes are fine in my opinion. The round Robin boastful letter telling everyone how wonderful Tarquin and Guinivere are and how fabulous the holidays this year have been are the ones that go in the bin.

Only get one like this these days from a very distant friend.

My wife gets a card like the one mentioned above, every Xmas, from her cousin, who she does'nt really bother with. (apart from a Xmas card) Her cousin adds a letter explaining how her children/grandchildren are doing so well, and how they (cousin and husband) managed to get in 4 holidays this year!

never had one, as were a largish family that seems to meet up too often for my liking, my friends i see anyway but must admit i would have a dislike for reading it all in a letter once a year prefer brief instalments over a beer or 10 that way no matter how boring the conversation about somebody elses kids is, the numbing effect of lager will get you through

I had cliche of cliches this year, a christmas email from a mate's wife telling me that they had decided not to send cards but decided to 'donate the money to charity' instead, but didn't happen to mention which one.

The highlight of the email was when they explained what a TOTAL NIGHTMARE it was getting skiing gear and lessons for three children, urgently at this time of year, prior to an all expenses paid trip to Canada for christmas courtesy of daddy.

Makes "one family's desperate search for a second pony" somewhat tame in comparison.

When my mate gets back the **** taking will be merciless.

Do people still send those awful Round Robin Christmas letters? After all the parodying, compilation books, **** taking and scorn poured on them by comedians etc for the last twenty years. You must have the skin of a Rhinoceros, the ego of Simon Cowell and the self awareness of a Mars Bar to even think about it. A note, handwritten and personal, from someone you actually know and like is acceptable, provided it is modest and brief. Anything printed from a computer, anything with pictures of offspring of people you barely know or anything boastful is a crime against humanity.

Do people still send those awful Round Robin Christmas letters? After all the parodying, compilation books, **** taking and scorn poured on them by comedians etc for the last twenty years. You must have the skin of a Rhinoceros, the ego of Simon Cowell and the self awareness of a Mars Bar to even think about it. A note, handwritten and personal, from someone you actually know and like is acceptable, provided it is modest and brief. Anything printed from a computer, anything with pictures of offspring of people you barely know or anything boastful is a crime against humanity.

On the other hand ............ :lol:

I might do a Micky take one this year. Along the lines of such diurnal highlights as which are the fittest teachers I met at my son's parents evening, how many animals I've murdered / foie gras consumed, how many boring family events I've managed to get out of and an account of catching my son masturbating for the first time.

:)

I might do a Micky take one this year. Along the lines of such diurnal highlights as which are the fittest teachers I met at my son's parents evening, how many animals I've murdered / foie gras consumed, how many boring family events I've managed to get out of and an account of catching my son masturbating for the first time.

do it and send me a copy, I think it could be very entertaining.... :yes::good:

nice to see your boy is taking after his dad but I think he will need a lot of practise before he can take the master bater crown from his dad :whistling:

I had cliche of cliches this year, a christmas email from a mate's wife telling me that they had decided not to send cards but decided to 'donate the money to charity' instead, but didn't happen to mention which one.

The highlight of the email was when they explained what a TOTAL NIGHTMARE it was getting skiing gear and lessons for three children, urgently at this time of year, prior to an all expenses paid trip to Canada for christmas courtesy of daddy.

Makes "one family's desperate search for a second pony" somewhat tame in comparison.

When my mate gets back the **** taking will be merciless.

problems tell me about it I have just found out half the staff at my house want some days off over xmas very inconvenient