How will this work then?

Scully

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richie - it is still an enclosed space - merely ventilated. I accept that car fuel pumps junk into the air. I don't have a simple solution or "right" answer - just my opinion.

Steppenwolf - your thought process worries me. I presume you have definitive proof that each and every report on second hand smoke is bogus.

Hmmm let me think, look at the correlation of increase in asthmatics to the car ownership. The fact that a study showed in the US that there was a direct relationship between children living near busy roads and asthma. Also the fact that petrol and diesal have more complex chemical composition than dried plant leaves.

So are you afraid of children being near barbeques, bonfires for what they possibly can breath in, but you are perfectly happen with the walking next to heavy traffic.

How you can think that dried leaves can affect your children more than thousands of cars pumping out fossil fuels into the atmosphere.

Unfortunately cigarettes contain more than just 'dried leaves'. They contain a cocktail of added chemicals for various purposes. And yes - particulates from vehicles (particularly diesel) are not good for the respiratory system - with prolonged exposure.

But you said:

Passive smoke has little affect compared to the amount of pollutants found in exhausts.

So where is the evidence of this comparison?

Yes, both are bad, but one is much more easily avoidable. Smoking in front of children in enclosed place such as a car - is just criminal.

Exactly. Nevermind that all the reports into second hand smoke are bogus in my opinion. So this is just about forcing peopel to think and act in a certain way.

Tell that to Roy Castle should you meet him in the afterlife. My mother was a heavy smoker and we all shared it in cars and certain rooms in the house.....

Unfortunately cigarettes contain more than just 'dried leaves'. They contain a cocktail of added chemicals for various purposes. And yes - particulates from vehicles (particularly diesel) are not good for the respiratory system - with prolonged exposure.

But you said:

Passive smoke has little affect compared to the amount of pollutants found in exhausts.

So where is the evidence of this comparison?

Yes, both are bad, but one is much more easily avoidable. Smoking in front of children in enclosed place such as a car - is just criminal.

How are exhaust fumes avoidable?

How do you think smog is formed, cigarette smoke?

It's hilarious that some people in this thread are actually trying to justify that it's ok to inhale second hand cigarette smoke :lol:

My late aunt who never smoked, but ran a pub her entire life and had a tracheostomy in her later life, thanks to second hand smoke.

I'm not saying that car fumes are clean, but at least they get to go through the catalytic converter and are relieved of some harmful chemicals. Using this to justify that it's alright to light up in a car with children, or anyone else for that matter is just stupid.

They aren't - but cigarette smoke is. Transportation is a necessary part of life and our economy. Cigarettes aren't.

You are repeating the same thing you said in the last thread. So what if smoking is banned, will make really little difference, just to the people that farm it and make cigs and the distribution and corner shops, which won't affect the economy.

People can give up easy enough, it won't matter in the end. Will you be happy then, then will can get on to banning something else then.

It's hilarious that some people in this thread are actually trying to justify that it's ok to inhale second hand cigarette smoke :lol:

My late aunt who never smoked, but ran a pub her entire life and had a tracheostomy in her later life, thanks to second hand smoke.

I'm not saying that car fumes are clean, but at least they get to go through the catalytic converter and are relieved of some harmful chemicals. Using this to justify that it's alright to light up in a car with children, or anyone else for that matter is just stupid.

My aunt had a tracheostomy, she never went to pubs and never smoked, never lived with anyone that smoked.

What does that prove?

Edited by Richie10

I think the law would be hard to enforce and might cause friction between friends, but is there anyone - honestly - who thinks it's okay to smoke with children in their car?

You are right - it will be hard to enforce. Similar to how the partial ban on smoking in pubs would have been difficult to enforce. The only realistic option is to ban smoking in vehicles

You are repeating the same thing you said in the last thread. So what if smoking is banned, will make really little difference, just to the people that farm it and make cigs and the distribution and corner shops, which won't affect the economy.

People can give up easy enough, it won't matter in the end. Will you be happy then, then will can get on to banning something else then.

While I wouldn't shed a tear if smoking was banned completely - this is unrealistic. I doubt the Zimbabwean or American tobacco farmers will hurt much if smoking in vehicles is banned.

all together.

I think the law would be hard to enforce and might cause friction between friends, but is there anyone - honestly - who thinks it's okay to smoke with children in their car?

+1. But wouldn't it have made sense to make the age 16 and not 18? Considering you can legally smoke at 16 now. Just seems like two laws will be out of step. Thinking of 16/17 year olds say in friend's of the same ages car.

Edited by TriBsa

You are right - it will be hard to enforce. Similar to how the partial ban on smoking in pubs would have been difficult to enforce. The only realistic option is to ban smoking in vehicles

While I wouldn't shed a tear if smoking was banned completely - this is unrealistic. I doubt the Zimbabwean or American tobacco farmers will hurt much if smoking in vehicles is banned.

all together.

I really wouldn't care if it was banned, the fact is that people are so fixated on smoking and stopping it that they are blinkered to the real issues facing the environment and peoples health.

Having said that, I strongly believe that my dad's smoking in the house when I was a baby/todler has a lot to do with me developing respiratory issues later, but hey, this was the '70's, what did they know? :big_boss:

Actually just about everything, they knew of the effects from as early as the 1930's passed legislation in 1964 and banned tv advertising in 1970, if not for the tax it would have been banned years ago.

KW

Richie10

I have read all that you have written in this thread, surely it is better to stop passive smoking in a confined space when youngsters are present and then move on to the next thing to sort out. If it were to save a small person from starting to smoke or prevents them succumbing to lung cancer or any of the other terrible conditions.

But have it your way.

Richie - it is still an enclosed space - merely ventilated. I accept that car fuel pumps junk into the air. I don't have a simple solution or "right" answer - just my opinion.

Steppenwolf - your thought process worries me. I presume you have definitive proof that each and every report on second hand smoke is bogus.

Nope not definite proof, but it still doesn't mean I buy the "evils of second hand smoke"