FAC wish list

Carman06

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but I'm starting to fill out my FAC application tonight and trying to decide what to put on it. As far as I can make out I should be able to ask for any rifles which I have good reason for(based on club ranges), have sufficient storage for and would expect to buy in the next 5 years. So far I have about 4x .22rf , 1x .223, 1x .243 & 1x .308.

I do most my shooting with my son who is 10 so will be looking to make sure I have things he can use.

Rimfire wise I will be looking for a setup for iron sights, bolt action, semi auto and long range 3 position.

Can anyone see any areas I should be considering so as not to be spending £26 on a variation later.

I will be looking to add things like a LBP later along with .17hmr & FAC Air when I get a permission.

All advice welcome, (p.s. I'm in sleaford lincs for licensing).

(Just to clarify my son only shoots at the club range under the club certificate)

Edited by Carman06

Really, only you know what you want. You haven't mentioned if you already have any shotguns. If you have and with that lot detailed in my neck of the woods rightly or wrongly you'd be looking for extra security in the form of alarms. More expense. Also, once you've finished forking out, a £26 variation fee is loose change by comparison.

If you dont have any permissions yet you can only apply for what you will use for target shooting. 22lr, .223 & .308 should be ok but i doubt you'd get .243 as well. ask for moderators for all of them, if you decide not to get any then you can do a 1 for 1 variation for a new calibre later. 2 x 22lr probably ok but unlikely to get more.

Thanks for the advice guys

In answer to some points, I don't have a SGC but will be applying for it at same time as FAC. I have a little experience with .223 from 12 years in the MOB which is what's pushed me to get back into it, having missed it since I left two years ago.

I'm only looking at target shooting at the min unless I get a permission for a bit of rabbiting etc.

I wasn't sure about the .243 it was just suggested down the range due to the time it takes lincs to sort the paperwork out. Looking back at it I feel my main calibres will probably be .22lr and .223 due to economy of amunition.

I am looking for a few Rimfire purely due to the different disciplines down my club. Being semi, bolt action, iron sight and a takedown ruger 10/22 for when I go on my motorbike. (A little less obvious then big gun bag on my back)

I already have fairly high security setup with alarm etc.

I agree I will be asking for moderators for all calibre's for health and safety due to the ranges being mixed use from juniors using air rifle to the larger ones even .50 cal on the 100 meter range. (Can't afford one of those yet though)

Cheers guys