Rabbiting Advice Needed.

redthunder

Alrite peeps, I was after a bit of advice. Me and my mate have just picked up the rabbit control on an M.O.D base in Wales. It's 2500 acres in size. No shooting :o but we can ferret or lamp and lercher them. The only trouble is that a lot of the warrens are under thick brambles or overgrown trees. :yp: We've cleared some of the brambles on Friday and hit a fifteen hole warren early saturday morning 6.30am :lol: covered all the holes with the purse nets and entered the ferret 5 minutes later the first rabbit hit the net followed buy another 10 minutes after, then nothing so after 40 minutes i searched with the finder i kept getting a reading 3 foot so we dug and broke through to find the ferret he'd been given a rabbit up a dead end pipe a hard time so i removed the ferret and pulled the rabbit out :good: great so we backfilled the dig and went on to search for more easy warrens but the warrens we were finding were to big to purse net and has loads of thick cover whats the best way around this we tried to clear some undergrowth with a chainsaw and lopers but because of the noise the rabbits were bolting on there own :lol: would it be better to longnet these warrens we want to try and make a dent in the population if we can. :o

I've posted some photos in the picture section :/

I'm no expert but those look hard places to cover.

Traditional drop longnetting might work, put the net between where the feed and where they live, leave it up and let them get used to hopping under it for a few days then on a blowy night drop the net.

With that number of holes like that, SS/Pelt Man and I have tried similar, you can't just longnet alone they will just hole hop. You could backfill a load of holes or use a combination of purse and longnet to go at them.

One of the old hands will be along soon with something that's probably a lot better than my suggestions :good:

i would as said above clear all the bebri you can and leave it for a while as you find youself forever digging as the amount of young about this year exeeds (at least my limitations).the main point maybe that the m.o.d want the rabbits clearing asap and if this is the case then the best bet in my oppinion would be to long net.

good luck

You could use a team of ferrets but now is not the right time of year...and the lack of cold means there is still loads of vegetaition about to..........................2500 acres is a good size :good::/ ....you may get better results on the lamps lurcher and longnetting.......saying that if its just control and not total irradication, then you have the space to practice all disciplins....hide up with air-rifle...snare, longnet, ferret in winter...........well done sir :lol:

Game on................................. :lol: :yp:

Why won't they allow air rifles, any particular reason? I am suprised that if they want them gone that quickly you would imagine they would allow you to employ air rifles if you needed/deemed fit?! Well other than mixi all they could do is use a bunker buster bomb but that would be a tad OTT :huh:, so i hope you can do the job before they get out the mixi viles.

• 2 weeks later...
Alrite peeps, I was after a bit of advice. Me and my mate have just picked up the rabbit control on an M.O.D base in Wales. It's 2500 acres in size. No shooting :( but we can ferret or lamp and lercher them. The only trouble is that a lot of the warrens are under thick brambles or overgrown trees. :yes: We've cleared some of the brambles on Friday and hit a fifteen hole warren early saturday morning 6.30am :) covered all the holes with the purse nets and entered the ferret 5 minutes later the first rabbit hit the net followed buy another 10 minutes after, then nothing so after 40 minutes i searched with the finder i kept getting a reading 3 foot so we dug and broke through to find the ferret he'd been given a rabbit up a dead end pipe a hard time so i removed the ferret and pulled the rabbit out :blink: great so we backfilled the dig and went on to search for more easy warrens but the warrens we were finding were to big to purse net and has loads of thick cover whats the best way around this we tried to clear some undergrowth with a chainsaw and lopers but because of the noise the rabbits were bolting on there own :D would it be better to longnet these warrens we want to try and make a dent in the population if we can. :(

I've posted some photos in the picture section :good:

Well i would put a match to the cover and work the dogs through the summer then ferrat when the winter comes in :):)

I work for the mod in Lincs,and we have a massive rabbit problem around here,undermining buildings,walkways,etc,last year i offered my services only to be told no thanks as if anyone was to see me they might think it cruel and report me.Next thing we knew they had gassed them! WORLD GONE BLOODY MAD.

if you can get your hands on a kubota with a brush cutter or something simalar you could thrash through it all in no time, it'll flatten a few holes but the bunnies'll put em right in no time, you'll have nice clean ground after one of these things have been through