A change of diet.

JDog

I have noticed in the last week or so a definite change in the pigeons dietary behaviour.

The numbers feeding on rape have slowly declined and one flock have gone back onto beech mast and another have been raiding maize cover crops which are still standing. Those lucky enough to have chopped up cover crops in the next month should have some good shooting.

on Saturday whilst at the park with my son, I watched a good couple of hundred crows feeding on maize cover crops, there was loads sitting on the powerlines whilst loads were feeding and it was a constant stream to and fro,

I have permission to shoot this particular farm but not in the pheasant season.

I will be out there as soon as possible when the season closes

will check the other maize areas to see if the pigeons are on it aswell

I've seen many hundreds of pigeons on the maize covers whilst on a shoot, today. Totally expected. I just hope I am allowed to shoot the covers in a couple of weeks time.

I am perhaps going to do a reccy on some maize covers at the end of the week , if there is much doing I will be in touch , they are a bit hasty getting them turned in as a rule though .

On my syndicate on Saturday a very large flock were hitting sugar beat tops on a recently harvested field of about 10 acres, they were in and out of the field all day.

Pity I can't get back to have a go, what with a new job and all. This weekend is out as we have our last day (although I hope to get on terms with a little lot of greylags that have given me the run around for the last two Saturdays) and it's the old mans birthday on Sunday.

Looking forward to the maize cover coming down, as there are lots of pigeons in the locale.

A friend and fellow syndicate member is there this afternoon, be interesting to hear how he got on. If they are there like they were on Saturday he should have had a good day.

On my syndicate on Saturday a very large flock were hitting sugar beat tops on a recently harvested field of about 10 acres, they were in and out of the field all day.

Pity I can't get back to have a go, what with a new job and all. This weekend is out as we have our last day (although I hope to get on terms with a little lot of greylags that have given me the run around for the last two Saturdays) and it's the old mans birthday on Sunday.

Looking forward to the maize cover coming down, as there are lots of pigeons in the locale.