Something of interest to Young Guns - Stay Legal

bakerboy

What is the definition of "Possess" in this context? Basically being having one in your hands, but not necessarily 'owning' it?

I'm assuming it is legal for under 14's (without an FAC) to shoot section 1 firearms at a Home Office approved shooting, as long as there is supervision by a certificate holder over the age of 18?

Edited by aris

What is the definition of "Possess" in this context? Basically being having one in your hands, but not necessarily 'owning' it?

I'm assuming it is legal for under 14's (without an FAC) to shoot section 1 firearms at a Home Office approved shooting, as long as there is supervision by a certificate holder over the age of 18?

On the notes, it does state that it is legal :

2. When part of an approved club or cadet corps

No mention is made of the necessary age of the person supervising in that case, but I'd imagine they'd need to be an approved RCO.

On the notes, it does state that it is legal :

2. When part of an approved club or cadet corps

No mention is made of the necessary age of the person supervising in that case, but I'd imagine they'd need to be an approved RCO.

Yeah, I saw that - but I think it boils down to what they mean by "Possess". The dictionary says "have as belonging to one; own."

The legal definition in this case may be different.

My mates son was 16 and had his own shotgun,sgc,key to the cabinet etc BUT in the same cabinet was an air rifle(12lb),his dad was breaking the law for having an air rifle where an under 18yo could gain access to it,the Police never said anything during visits and he left it in there,a truly ridiculous state of affairs.

Seeing it printed out like that makes it all the more laughable.

So a 14 year old can possess a section 1 firearm and ammunition but not an air rifle. Laugh out loud.

It is a useful chart though thank you.

Yeah, that is ridiculous.

A 14-17 year old can have a FAC, and on that, FAC air rifles - which they can have sole access to. However, that same young person cannot have access to a sub-12 ft/lb air rifle in the same house.

A badly thought-out piece of legislation, if ever there was one.

Yeah, that is ridiculous.

A 14-17 year old can have a FAC, and on that, FAC air rifles - which they can have sole access to. However, that same young person cannot have access to a sub-12 ft/lb air rifle in the same house.

A badly thought-out piece of legislation, if ever there was one.

What about a section 1 shotgun on a firearms.

So he could have a 8 shot but not a 3 lol

Edited by leadbreakfast

Email it to you feo and local police force :whistling:

yes, then he will be as wise as you.? And more Laws :yes: .

Sorry about edit:::

Yes, But there is something missing in this block above:

Try and ask the child (For thats what he is) go into a shop and BUY ammunition or BUY a Gun of any Description.

You would be laughed out of the shop.??.

IT Seems the wording has not all been put in place and gives a FALSE sense of what the act is.

It does not stop there, Read on::: There are Several paragraphs in the act you have emitted:::

Edited by subsonicnat

its so complicated now

when I was 12 year old

me and my mate

would carry our air rifles cocked over our arms like shotguns walking through the village with no covers

we would buy our pellets from the local newspaper shop, who would try and sell you a knife to go with your fine gun

if you bumped into the local bobby

you would say you were going down the stream to shoot rats (no permission, never even knew what one of those was)

his answer would be ---- now you lads stay out of trouble

if anyone saw you on the public footpaths they would just think

there's some young ones out shooting

HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED

Had Different types of guns since was 14 air rifles shotguns rifles never had one as a weapon all been sporting equipment. Security Forces have weapons To Protect and Defend. When the sporting users of firearms call them weapons that is what the general public think that's why we have them to use them as a weapon. My guns are part of my sporting equipment like my wellies and my dog.

Had Different types of guns since was 14 air rifles shotguns rifles never had one as a weapon all been sporting equipment Security Forces have weapons To Protect and Defend. When the sporting users of firearms call them weapons that is what the general public think that's why we have them to use them as a weapon. My guns are part of my sporting equipment like my wellies and my dog.

quite agree with this even the police class them as weapons no there not a weapon a gun is sporting equipment or as I like to class it as a tool just google the definition of a weapon

Edited by littlerob

Saddest thing for me is our shooting organisations call them weapons why because shooting came to them after being in the military or police not from being with them through youth not that it matters much but in the public non shooters eyes. Shooting organisations calling sporting equipment weapons perpetuates the whole sorry thing.