help lamping

devon fowler

I have shot solo at night for many years because it is so difficult to get people to turn out. There are advantages and disadvantages >> Pros >> you can come + go as you please. You get to take all the shots. >> I like the peace and solitude of it. It is a lot quieter and simpler with just one not forgetting the dog. Disadvantages >> your on your own if you hurt yourself >> ( I once went b over a when I stumbled into a trench in a corn field that had been washed out by a thunderstorm). Luckily I only fell flat on the ground and winded myself and the rifle wasn’t damaged. There is always the possibility of a confrontation with antis when you get back to the vehicle or damage to the vehicle, which might not be much fun if you are on your own. ( I did have someone walking along out in one of the fields with a torch looking for me but I wasn't going to play that game and I just went black and watched with my binos. He tried to be cunning and went black also but I was watching a light in the distance and as he came back he blanked the light as he walked by it. After he had gone back near to the road he use the torch to see the last gate. He had got no chance of finding me because I know the ground so well that I can walk it totally black other than the unexpected trench in the corn.

I can't believe someone was crazy enough to start hunting someone else with a gun in the dark alone! He wouldn't have known who he was going to meet, you could have been the next Raol moat! Some people want to get a life

That is my usual method - What I call a sitout. Classic FM on the Walkman, coffee in the flask, my dog laying on my feet and guess what? ----- I fall asleep - but you knew that was coming.

(Or the other way is, pull up in a likely spot, put caller out in field, set up rifle, coffee,NV spotter and seat on the back of the pick-up and wait).

If your from the south east of England i found it hard to believe that people wouldn't come out with espically if they say they are keen however that said by the sounds of it your permission sounds like you risk getting a good thrashing from someone lol maybe thats why they wont come out with you.

Nick.

I can't believe someone was crazy enough to start hunting someone else with a gun in the dark alone! He wouldn't have known who he was going to meet, you could have been the next Raol moat! Some people want to get a life

I'm not quite sure how my post came across but this incident only happened once and I just think that it was someone that thought that there was someone up to no good or was just being nosy to find out why they occasionally saw a red or more usually a white light out in the fields at late night and by this I mean it could be 1 or 2 am. It would be very unlikely that anyone would intercept me or even get anywhere near without me knowing of their presence either by being illuminated by black light (ir) or white. And the dog is out there on patrol about a hundred yards away. If someone were waiting up she would bark at them and alert me. I don’t think that there are many people that would go and get involved with a confrontation with an unknown armed person with an dog . Through doing it for a long time I know how to use the land to hide me either by dips and hollows or into woods and through hedges. Friends do come out with me but it is always getting everyone to operate off of the same hymn sheet at the same time. I had Sunday afternoon out with one of the son in laws and we are going out for a look round one evening this week, as it gets dryer underfoot. In the past I have had pesky people try to come out to have a chat when I have been going back to the vehicle and they are just a pain. I just try to avoid any contact with them.

I bought a Fenix torch with the pressure pad adaption, stick it on the top of the scope and go walking, its not how many shots you have its how much you enjoy being out in the sticks on your own at night with a little lamp. I personally prefer it to driving around in a converted Discovery with a big lamp.

As a nation we spend so much time involved with other people, family, work the pub, etc etc we have forgotten how to walk in a straight line and be alone. Get back to basics and enjoy a bit of hunting, its what we do!! My Father always quotes me, "man travels faster alone." He's only bloody right the old ***!

Although I have for some years only lamped alone(land owner's conditions) I really have not enjoyed it nearly as much or indeed been as successful compared to when I used to lamp with a good friend(sadly deceased).I hope you find a good lamping/shooting buddy: I miss mine greatly.

Get a gun mounted lamp, no need to rely on anyone else, still good fun sometimes though

:yes::good:

Shooting alone can commonly be more productive, half the footfall, smell, noise and you tend to concentrate more!

I probably spend more time solo, it can tend to become more social than business when shooting accompanied (not always).

:good:

Ive only just started lamping fox last month and have just been doing it myself; got a cheap scope mount and torch from `ludicrous lumens` (red) and using an aldi £20 torch for scanning & a £2.99 caller. Really enjoying it and had loads of advice from on here and mates from my shoot. Would be good to go out with an experienced lamper to learn but ive had a few fox in the last couple of weeks so either beginners luck or doing something half right. The cold snap and snow on the ground might have helped. Quite happy on my tod for just now.

:yes::good:

Shooting alone can commonly be more productive, half the footfall, smell, noise and you tend to concentrate more!

I probably spend more time solo, it can tend to become more social than business when shooting accompanied (not always).

:good:

Agree with you there mate. I do the majority of my shooting solo though now with NV kit. The majority of the ground I cover is only really suitable on foot due to crops, steepness etc so I can go at my own pace and be nice and quiet. One of the pieces of ground I shoot is a mates and he comes out every other time I go up. Pretty well every time he comes I dont shoot anything and when he doesnt come I normally get a shot. I am sure he is a Jonah. However this highlights the difference between a sociable outing and a pest control outing. I enjoy the outing with the 2 of us more but the ones on my own are more productive. I suppose it depends on set up and having a good understanding of what the lamper/shooter is doing/wants to do.

Ive only just started lamping fox last month and have just been doing it myself; got a cheap scope mount and torch from `ludicrous lumens` (red) and using an aldi £20 torch for scanning & a £2.99 caller. Really enjoying it and had loads of advice from on here and mates from my shoot. Would be good to go out with an experienced lamper to learn but ive had a few fox in the last couple of weeks so either beginners luck or doing something half right. The cold snap and snow on the ground might have helped. Quite happy on my tod for just now.

Well done crowdie sounds like you have had a good start.

I am in Fife and have a coupls of permissions, the landowner only wants Rabbit and Roe shot on one of them, they don't allow anyone else to shoot other than those on a legal document that we have both signed. I can shoot anything that is legal to shoot on my other couple of permissions, but quarry is limited on the other places. If I had someone give me a offer like this I would be there in a heart beat, not to muscle in on your permission, just to help out, Your mates don't realise what opportunity they are missing, well done.