On the maize today.

pigeonblasterian

Arranged to meet with three pw members today and have a day out on the maize strips.

I had checked round to see where pigeons might be on Thursday.I found that pigeons were on the maize that had been sprayed with slurry and the recent rain must have washed it enough to make it appetizing.

So a meet up at 0800 was arranged and when we arrived at the farm the maize had been ploughed in.

Luckily enough was left on the top of the soil and pigeons were feeding on the strips.

After a slow start with hardly anything the first couple of hours the pigeons started to come for a look at the decoys.

They decoyed a lot better than the last few weeks and were in smaller groups.

At last they are breaking up a bit and not staying in one large flock.

We split up into three hides to keep the birds moving and flagged off one strip.

In our hide we managed to get a total of 60 pigeons.

We had 52 wood pigeon and 8 ferals.

Another photo coming later when the pw members get home.

DSC_0016_zpszw5kesbi.jpg

Ian

I found on Saturday that the pigeons started to get interested in the decoy pattern when the sun came out in the afternoon.

Did you have any sun today?

Well done on hosting other members.

It was very windy and cold all day and rather than set up facing into the wind we put the brolly up and made a hide protecting us from the wind.

The sun did come out during the day and that is probably when the pigeons were decoying best.

It was still very cold in the wind when out of the hide.

Later in the afternoon it went overcast and the pigeons were not flying around as much.

Just a write up of last Sunday, I was lucky enough to get a chance to shoot with Ian on his permission, I travelled there with 2 lads from my neck of the woods, Gareth and Richard set up 2 fields away from us, Ian set up bird scares on the middle maize strip, and we set up on the third strip, Ian set us up with the wind at our backs, large umbrella with the hide built round it, set in the open facing a hedge row with the maize strip between us, it was a little slow to start with, but picked up after about a hours, the birds mostly came from behind us and to the left, the swung round over the edge row and into the decks, a great sight, my shooting was iffy to say the least to start with and Ian was nailing everything, Ian thought my seat was the problem ( fishing chair) being to low, sat on Ian's chair while he was having his lunch, I nailed 5 on the bounce, Ian got his spare chair of his truck for me, shot a lot better on it, Ian was great company in the hide, very knowledgeable, gave me a few really good tips, especially let them commit to coming in, we kept Ian's springer Jess reasonable busy in the afternoon, finished with 52 woodies and 8 ferals, fantastic day with great company, many thanks Ian, hope I can do it again, cheers Gary. PS I've order a new chair Ian lol

Edited by garyb7

Looks like I good day there mate

It was and going Friday if you fancy a day out.

Just a write up of last Sunday, I was lucky enough to get a chance to shoot with Ian on his permission, I travelled there with 2 lads from my neck of the woods, Gareth and Richard set up 2 fields away from us, Ian set up bird scares on the middle maize strip, and we set up on the third strip, Ian set us up with the wind at our backs, large umbrella with the hide built round it, set in the open facing a hedge row with the maize strip between us, it was a little slow to start with, but picked up after about a hours, the birds mostly came from behind us and to the left, the swung round over the edge row and into the decks, a great sight, my shooting was iffy to say the least to start with and Ian was nailing everything, Ian thought my seat was the problem ( fishing chair) being to low, sat on Ian's chair while he was having his lunch, I nailed 5 on the bounce, Ian got his spare chair of his truck for me, shot a lot better on it, Ian was great company in the hide, very knowledgeable, gave me a few really good tips, especially let them commit to coming in, we kept Ian's springer Jess reasonable busy in the afternoon, finished with 52 woodies and 8 ferals, fantastic day with great company, many thanks Ian, hope I can do it again, cheers Gary. PS I've order a new chair Ian lol

Your welcome Gary just get in touch if you want to come again and we can see if something can be sorted.

You should shoot better with a decent seat. :yes:

Thanks again ian for a nice day on the pigeon, should have had more but was difficult a times, again the perfect the perfect host Ian.

Thanks

Gaz

See you soon for a day on the rabbits.