Farndale Hunt

scolopax

On Saturday the 225 year old Farndale hunt held its last meet.

The hunt was not brought down due to the now ten year old hunt ban, nor the activities of the Sabs, or LACS or the RSPCA. It was brought down by shooting, intensive commercial shooting. It is a shame that the shoots could not accommodate the traditional activities of the hunt, after all shooting and hunting works well together across the country with a bit of give and take.

Farndale is an absolutely beautiful valley on the southern edge of the North Yorkshire moors which used to be fantastic fox hunting country, but it is now very intensively keepered, as are of course the grouse moors that surround the dale of three sides. So with no trails to follow and no where for them to follow trails the Hunt decided to finish for good at the end of this season bringing to an end a 225 year old tradition in the dale.

Edited by scolopax

The anti is a completely different breed to your average football orientated hooligan.

Driven by political ideology, a misplaced sense of the natural order, over sentimentality when directed at wildlife (of their right sort) and a belief that the results justify the means, however illegal or immoral.

The football lot just want a tear up with the opposition's firm.

Then of course there are the pharmaceutical companies, your local butchers, abbatoirs, cattle markets to hassle too. Gives the thugs something easier than being a football hooligan as they police that too well now.

On Saturday the 225 year old Farndale hunt held its last meet.

It was brought down by shooting, intensive commercial shooting. It is a shame that the shoots could not accommodate the traditional activities of the hunt, after all shooting and hunting works well together across the country with a bit of give and take.

Very sad.

I know exactly how you feel..............we have more and more shoots taking over our valleys to the detrement of hunting and the enviroment in general. They're nothing more than vast intensive chicken farms.

That's a real shame, shoots should accommodate hunts and vice versa.

While in theory I'd agree, it's not always as practically straightforward as that. A mate who owned and worked a Fell sheep farm in Cumbria told me while he thought the local hunt did a good job, he eventually stopped them coming onto his land due to the damage they caused to dry stone walls, gates, fences etc on their passage through.

He didn't have a small shoot back then but does now, and wouldn't even entertain the idea now, but that was a long time ago, and I'm not sure there is even a pack in the Lune Valley any longer.

While in theory I'd agree, it's not always as practically straightforward as that. A mate who owned and worked a Fell sheep farm in Cumbria told me while he thought the local hunt did a good job, he eventually stopped them coming onto his land due to the damage they caused to dry stone walls, gates, fences etc on their passage through.

He didn't have a small shoot back then but does now, and wouldn't even entertain the idea now, but that was a long time ago, and I'm not sure there is even a pack in the Lune Valley any longer.

My farmer isn't too keen on them either,they made a right mess this year

Very sad when a part of history goes.

I run a small syndicate cost sharing shoot in North Suffolk. We have a local harrier pack. They are allowed to hunt most of the local farm land. However, the chap who owns my shoot area wont have them on his land. Historically they did, but the agreement was they came after the shooting season and on agreed days. They turned up in November - went straight through 60% of our cover strips and woods. Although only the hunt staff and master were supposed to cross the land whilst the followers went around the margins, everyone went straight across three large wheat fields.

We hadn't even had our first shoot - The result was not a surprise to anyone except the hunt.

I would be happy to renegotiate with them but the boss is adamant about it. It's his livelihood.