daystate rebuild

activeviii

Picked up a daystate X2 a few weeks ago. A bit narly, needed a major service, parts remade, so e reworked. Paid a fair price for it bit then I knew what I was getting into.

Here is a couple of before photos.

IMG_20150325_130530_zpsdpfelger.jpg

IMG_20150325_130556_zps308oahb3.jpg

IMG_20150325_130728_zpsk4o8pp83.jpgIMG_20150325_131545_zps7ms1m6a5.jpg

As photos show. It needed some TLC.

Before I could get started I need to build a bigger oven so I could cerakote the air tube plus a few other bits

IMG_20150403_151403_zpskffv6kib.jpg

With that done I could get started. Total strip. Everything that could come undone, did get undone. Those that wouldnt, soon got the message when the drill and grinder came out. Need to add a photo when I can find it.

After a lot of machining, lapping, polishing and swearing I have got this far. New bolt and probe, new safety, trigger reworked, ground and polished. All the internals have been eithe remade or reworked. Stock bolt and nuts made.

All but the breach and barrel have been cerakoted in either graphite black or tactical black.

IMG_20150407_181200_zps4zluhong.jpg

IMG_20150407_150013_zpsjwrszbkr.jpgIMG_20150407_181317_zpserggqptt.jpg

Now I have to make the silencer internals and that's all the metalwork finished, well, until I find the right air gauge to mount under the airtube that is.

Now it's a few weeks to strip, stain and tru-oil the stock. The checkering is a bit blunts but I haven't a tool so it will have to stay like that.

Sorry if there's a few spelling mistakes and bad grammer. Trying to do this on my phone.

I'm very happy with the put come of this one so far.

Thanks for coming in

All the best

Phil.

superb job buddy, certainly now worth all the hard work and swearing lol,

take your time on the stock and my advice is get the chequering done as the stock done properly will make the rifle look brill, you have spent a long time getting all the metal right so don't ruin it by scrimping on the stock,

the x2 is a cracking rifle and you should be proud,,just a shame some of the engineers at daystate don't take as much pride in their work as you do

well done

atb Evo

Flipping eck evo. You daystate tart.

Just put it back in the stock so I can run it all in, check for leaks and re bed the barrel after a deep clean.

One hole groups with 3 differant makes of pellets. 14.3 grain seams to be the sweet weight.

Now its back in the stock, even though temporary, I'm not sure whether I'm keeping it or selling it on. Might change once stock is done.

I have truoil here already, 12 coats then flat it back and 2 top coats gives a hard satin finish. Staining black, well sort of, so needs the listed to pull it off I think. Hense the reason why shiny bits on rifle. Might change idea yet, I normally do.

Flipping eck evo. You daystate tart.

Just put it back in the stock so I can run it all in, check for leaks and re bed the barrel after a deep clean.

One hole groups with 3 differant makes of pellets. 14.3 grain seams to be the sweet weight.

Now its back in the stock, even though temporary, I'm not sure whether I'm keeping it or selling it on. Might change once stock is done.

I have truoil here already, 12 coats then flat it back and 2 top coats gives a hard satin finish. Staining black, well sort of, so needs the listed to pull it off I think. Hense the reason why shiny bits on rifle. Might change idea yet, I normally do.

ha ha ,, tell ya what ,, I love the way you have changed the safety on it,, that is much better than how it was originally, its much better presented, you should get in touch with daystate as its better than their ones

I couldnt belive the way they did the safety. But and bolt. It was cack looking. All I did was make a sleeve for the bolt to lock into. Its made to measure once the trigger pull length was taken into account.

I popped the anti-tamper out as well. A pin glued in that was ruff cut to length. Also a bad job.

It will be fine for the rats Mr preen.

Thanks telf, not really clever, stubborn and tight I get told.

Evo, the stock has been stained and is very very pink. Stripper will not touch it and i dont want to throw another stain over the top to end up with a real pants colour. Its toning down but so far its been 3 coatings of hydrogen peroxide

Tried a few thing so next today is the harsh bleaching, peroxide and lye. Can buy it from Ruskin's for £30 but thats a rip off. All they do is name it part A and part B, well I can do that with a £4 bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a £5 box of sodium hydroxide.

I will take an other photo of the colour later, it really is pink.

Right, after. Lot of head scratching I have just about finished the stock. Need to make a stainless a him for in between the butt pad and stock and just waiting for my stainless sling swivels to turn up.

After finding a good bleach to get the red out the atock and neutralising that chemical, I was then onto staining to a tone I liked and thought matched the rest of the rifle. First attempt turned blue and black, the blue looked good but the black would not take into some of the grain and left whiter patches. I hated it so back to the bleaching and a new stain.

After near a week of coating, sanding more coatings and a finish of tru-oil, I'm more than happy with the way it turned out.

This was how I picked it up. It was OK but not great.

IMG_20150325_130541_zpsjye07r0z.jpg

IMG_20150325_130728_zpsk4o8pp83.jpg

This is it now.

IMG_20150419_153805_zpswodeuf3y.jpgIMG_20150419_153836_zpscztoenx0.jpg

The barrel is waiting its 2Kcarbon shroud when it gets here and the couple outer bits I mentioned earlier.

So, keep or sell?

Found a BSA superten in need of help but need funds.

Thanks for looking

Phil