Floating gun slip - recommendations.

mudpatten

I`m after a new floating gun slip, the current one having led a hard life and being beyond economic repair.

It`s to take either a Benelli SBE2 or a Supernova, both with a 26" barrel.

Can anyone recommend a decent one that`s made to last?

My original slip bore the makes/retailers name of "Allen". ( I expect they`re all made in China.) but I can`t find one with that name any more.

It was of the velcro fastened flap top variety with strap and carrying handles with no zips to rust and seize up.

Thanks.

Tide pool do the Avery and the Flambeau , the Flambeau is suppose to be good , I have hears reports on some of the american forums that the quality of avery stuff has taken a dive.

Having said that I have the avery mudslip and am happy enough with it.

http://www.tidepool.co.uk/accessories/gun-slips/flambeau-floating-gunslip-mossy-oak-duck-blind-camo-detail

I'd guess that is like a lot of stuff outsource to China. I know a lot of angling luggage, etc. is of poorer quality now.

Tide pool do the Avery and the Flambeau , the Flambeau is suppose to be good , I have hears reports on some of the american forums that the quality of avery stuff has taken a dive.

Having said that I have the avery mudslip and am happy enough with it.

http://www.tidepool.co.uk/accessories/gun-slips/flambeau-floating-gunslip-mossy-oak-duck-blind-camo-detail

Many thanks for that information gents.

The wife bought my original one via mail order about 15 years ago but could`nt remember where from. I`ve now jogged her memory and it seems that it was John Forsey`s who apparently still stock them.

Thanks again for your help.

Mudpatten, why does it have to float,does the tide come up around you often,or in case it blows away? I'm only curious as not done any proper marsh fowling before.

I seem to recall mudpattern telling a tale of how his dog knocked his gun overboard one day!

I always use my floating slip when I take the boat on the ouse washes

A lot of the access to our tidal islands is by boat across what can sometimes be very lumpy open sea.

If it goes overboard, if it does`nt float, you`ve lost it.

There is what was once a perfectly serviceable 3" AYA sbs at the bottom of the harbour due to my not using a floating gun slip.

It`s amazing how, no matter how careful you are,when loading or unloading piles of gear, hides, decoys,anchors, ropes or dealing with big dogs getting into and out of a boat,shipping and unshipping oars, and running an outboard engine - all in pitch darkness, how gun carrying straps can get tangled up with all sorts of things!

I also do a lot of punt gunning and the heavy padding and waterproof outer shell of a floating slip helps to protect the cripple stopper from getting knocked about too badly.

I must say that the one I`m just about to replace has lasted longer than any gun slip I`ve ever owned.

I see Mudpatten,I didn't realise you were using small boats,I totally understand as I would have a floating slip too.I also have small boats for the loch and the sea for creels fishing etc and know too well how thing's end up in the noggin,sounds like you have good fun down there I'm 'welljel' as teenagers say.

I`m after a new floating gun slip, the current one having led a hard life and being beyond economic repair.

It`s to take either a Benelli SBE2 or a Supernova, both with a 26" barrel.

Can anyone recommend a decent one that`s made to last?

My original slip bore the makes/retailers name of "Allen". ( I expect they`re all made in China.) but I can`t find one with that name any more.

It was of the velcro fastened flap top variety with strap and carrying handles with no zips to rust and seize up.

Thanks.

just pump it full of expanding foam,,,wont sink then :whistling::whistling: :whistling: