most succesful competition gun of all time

bobby t

No doubt that the H&H's are superb guns but I doubt they get used in competitions much.

682 Beretta's have been used by Digweed, Faulds et al at one stage or another in their careers.

Cat,

If you are reading this, just out of interest how many cartridges do you estimate your 682 has had through it?

My 687 may be about 18 years old now but it doubt it gets a fraction of the use some of the members clay guns seem to get.

That would be a Vostock Skeet gun with Tula chokes, I think they had 26" barrels, and are now a collectors item.

Cat.

that would have been when the russians were banned for using tear drop shaped shot, one of the old guys i shot with competed against the reds many years ago, them bad boys brought in their own loaders for shooting, from what im told the patterns produced gave them advantage over the rest ofthe field, they had shells marked for each station,,,,,,,,,,, still didnt land on the moon though did they,,,,,,,,,, come to that some say the yanks didnt either ?? :/

the remi 1100 has taken more skeet wins than any other gun tis true

Martin

No doubt that the H&H's are superb guns but I doubt they get used in competitions much.

682 Beretta's have been used by Digweed, Faulds et al at one stage or another in their careers.

Cat,

If you are reading this, just out of interest how many cartridges do you estimate your 682 has had through it?

My 687 may be about 18 years old now but it doubt it gets a fraction of the use some of the members clay guns seem to get.

Stuart,

I bought my 682 in August 1984 from Chris Potter in Tunbridge Wells.

I was using a 687 up until then, but Barry Simpson tipped me off that there was a replacement for the 680 range being brought out, and that the first batch of only 3 guns were soon to be imported and were already allocated to Chris Potter, who then was probably the biggest Beretta dealer in the UK.

I phoned him up and made an appointment to view the next day, as two had already been pre-sold, so I went along, had a look at it, fell in love with it straight away and bought it there and then. The retail price was £897, I think he sold it to me for a fair bit less than that.

It is a 28" model, (30's weren't imported until a year later), and it weighs a hunky 8.5lbs, the metal is very dense and this batch used American Walnut, which they soon replaced with the (cheaper?) and lighter Japanese Walnut.

Over the years I've had a lot of alteration work done to it, including stock comb reduction, recoil damper fitted, forcing cones extended and barrels ported. I now use only extended ported Rhino Chokes, as they throw superb patterns and effectively extend the barrels to 29", which seems to suit me fine.

I've shot it continuously since 1984, apart from a couple of 18 month spells when I tried a Mirook 3800, 32", teague choked, (lovely gun, OK for long targets, but kept missing the silly fast close ones..!! :lol: ), and then more recently a 30" 682 Gold E, again a good gun, it actually weighed a full pound less than the 28" model, but for some reason, apart from winning the South East Regional Champs at Southdown with a 95, I never had a result with it.

In terms of numbers of cartridges shot through it, I've not kept a record, but back in the 80's & 90's I was shooting 5000 - 6000 registered Sporting a year, but I'm now down to about 3000 a year on registered clays, when you add in what I've also shot through it at anything from Pheasants, Partridge, Pigeons, Rabbits, Rats together wity practice clays, I've probably put about 175,000 shells through it, which is not a vast amount when compared to some.

It's only let me down twice, :/ ALWAYS in a major competition, I've had to replace a couple of small springs that broke and prevented the second barrel from firing, also the hinge pins have been replaced, apart from that, it's been fine.

Cat

Cat,

Stuart,

I bought my 682 in August 1984 from Chris Potter in Tunbridge Wells.

I was using a 687 up until then, but Barry Simpson tipped me off that there was a replacement for the 680 range being brought out, and that the first batch of only 3 guns were soon to be imported and were already allocated to Chris Potter, who then was probably the biggest Beretta dealer in the UK.

I phoned him up and made an appointment to view the next day, as two had already been pre-sold, so I went along, had a look at it, fell in love with it straight away and bought it there and then. The retail price was £897, I think he sold it to me for a fair bit less than that.

It is a 28" model, (30's weren't imported until a year later), and it weighs a hunky 8.5lbs, the metal is very dense and this batch used American Walnut, which they soon replaced with the (cheaper?) and lighter Japanese Walnut.

Over the years I've had a lot of alteration work done to it, including stock comb reduction, recoil damper fitted, forcing cones extended and barrels ported. I now use only extended ported Rhino Chokes, as they throw superb patterns and effectively extend the barrels to 29", which seems to suit me fine.

I've shot it continuously since 1984, apart from a couple of 18 month spells when I tried a Mirook 3800, 32", teague choked, (lovely gun, OK for long targets, but kept missing the silly fast close ones..!! :D ), and then more recently a 30" 682 Gold E, again a good gun, it actually weighed a full pound less than the 28" model, but for some reason, apart from winning the South East Regional Champs at Southdown with a 95, I never had a result with it.

In terms of numbers of cartridges shot through it, I've not kept a record, but back in the 80's & 90's I was shooting 5000 - 6000 registered Sporting a year, but I'm now down to about 3000 a year on registered clays, when you add in what I've also shot through it at anything from Pheasants, Partridge, Pigeons, Rabbits, Rats together wity practice clays, I've probably put about 175,000 shells through it, which is not a vast amount when compared to some.

It's only let me down twice, :/ ALWAYS in a major competition, I've had to replace a couple of small springs that broke and prevented the second barrel from firing, also the hinge pins have been replaced, apart from that, it's been fine.

Cat

you must love that gun Cat, mine is the Browning ultra xs, one of two i have, again a few things done to enhance the feeling of becoming one with the gun, the only problems i have had were worn ejector sears, of which i replaced and timed and the imo obligatory replacement pins per year, the first couple of years i had it i think i put around 60 k through it and the same the following year, must have been a shell makers dream come true me and the govner shooting the lights out every night, must have in the region of 250k

through the first and a hat full through the others, cant get bored can you, on a side note looking to break in the T.M R7 this weekend on the OTHER :/ range.

Martin