do i stand a chance? FAC application

I think you need to wait until you have a 5 year clear record to succeed here ,your post in post 28 is not the attitude to have and your brother being "involved " with the police will not help .

A .22 is not a primary fox gun also a .17 has limited use on birds other than crows on an open field with a correct backstop

As to shooting "Game " with a rifle with a 5 or 10 shot magazine is also against the Countryside and Wildlife Act

15 acres is also a very small area to shoot

Good luck

Deershooter

I am going to ask if they can give me a number for my areas feo when i go to get a copy of my records, im not sure if my adress comes under hampshire or surrey police tho, on my.postcode it says surrey, geographicaly the adress is in hampshire and i have onoy ever seen hampshire police in the village

This is what I'd have typed.

You should be able to get the number for your feo through your forces website, email them as they will be the ones that can best answer your question, not us. Good luck on the application.

Edit: Having now read through the thread I think this will bother an feo "What do you mean? i have been arrested 3 or 4 times and have had a couple of them yellow slips they used to give to groups of youths moping around the streets (c12 i think it was called), if there is anything other than that it has honestly completely slipped my memory"

Look at it from an feo's perspective. Would you be happy to grant a firearms cert to a person that had been arrested that number of times and had other run ins with police? It's an assumption but I'm guessing these things didn't happen as long ago as other members here who have convictions for assualt ect but 10,20,30 years before applying.

Edited by Muddy Funker

This is what I'd have typed.

You should be able to get the number for your feo through your forces website, email them as they will be the ones that can best answer your question, not us. Good luck on the application.

Edit: Having now read through the thread I think this will bother an feo "What do you mean? i have been arrested 3 or 4 times and have had a couple of them yellow slips they used to give to groups of youths moping around the streets (c12 i think it was called), if there is anything other than that it has honestly completely slipped my memory"

Look at it from an feo's perspective. Would you be happy to grant a firearms cert to a person that had been arrested that number of times and had other run ins with police? It's an assumption but I'm guessing these things didn't happen as long ago as other members here who have convictions for assualt ect but 10,20,30 years before applying.

Yes worded like that it might not go down too well, i will tell them everything i have actually been in trouble for when the time comes, by then i will know exactly how many times i have been arrested/in trouble and what for atm i dont and as for the yellow slips i cant see that there will be any record kept of any of thosr, them things were handed out like they were going out of fashion, for next to no reason at all.

Well no, if it was someone in trouble with the police often/recently i wouldnt even think about letting them have a gun but if it was someone with typical offences committed by a jumped up, know it all teen, who has kept there nose clean for a while and grown up then i would consider it tbh, everyone makes mistakes

Edited by appo94

appo94, you are likely to get a mix of reactions on here from the supportive and from the hang 'em high brigade and it has the potential to get a bit emotive.

Do what you have suggested, pop down to your local nick and get a copy of your record and the phone number for your firearms department. Then give them a call and discuss it with them honestly, tell them why you want a ticket and you understand that being a naughty boy earlier in life might have an influence, but that is all firmly in the past.

Tell them the area that you have permission to shoot over, if you are successful in getting a FAC, and they might well be able to tell you what that land is cleared for, if at all. Then you can use all that information to decide whether to apply or not and what to apply for if you do go for it. Worst case is that you get your application fee back and told no if you do apply.

If they are a bit negative on the phone and suggest it is unlikely then join one of the shooting organisations and chat to their licensing teams and get a second opinion. If both say that it is very unlikely then you can still apply of course, but at least you will set your expectations properly and not get your hopes too high.

Best of luck.

Edited by grrclark

How many years since your last offence?

Have you a way of legitimately showing how you have changed your life for the better and got evidence of such?

I only say this as saying you:

- Had problems in your teens including a few 'yellow slips' aka C12's, arrests and a fine... (for things including fights)

- Issues being at home with your dad who'd be your mentor

- Not being able to remember your offences (does that mean that having a lot would make the whole essence of the shame of having an offence to your name has been dumbed down?)

All of this and only being 21 - sort of would give off a bad impression without perhaps evidence of a real hard change and new direction.

Edited to say:

I'm not one of the 'hang em high' people here - but more interested/concerned about your own 'personal PR'.
I say this as a friend of mine has a few issues under his belt with the law and it all went bad for him for a long while (wrong crowd perhaps) and since then he has turned his life around to working hard in his job, building good contacts, being respectable and raising a family well etc... but he has a good back story as to when and why he changed and has changed his 'personal brand' to be one of a more mature man who can laugh about the past as he's put it behind him and moved on - not a angry chav with a respect problem.

Edited by Mentalmac

Some good advice there from Mentalmac.

Having been in a similar position,I left it 14 years since my last (relatively minor) conviction.

I had never been convicted of a violent offence,I did tidy myself up ,raised a family and more importantly joined and made good use of various air rifle,clay and firearms clubs.

This gave me good reason,and with a clean slate ,got me my tickets.

However,I also got what the FEO referred to as a final written warning,basically any trouble I got myself into,be it a traffic offence or anything more serious,I would have questions to answer,with both tickets possibly forfeit.

Firearms ownership demands great responsibility,maturity and the police 99.9% of the time err on the side of caution.

And thats the way it has to be to keep private gun ownership in this country.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,but if I were you I would give it some more time and join some clubs,let the police know where your permissions are for your sub 12 ft lb air rifle,basically build yourself a good reason.

ATB

The police will ask you who else lives in the house. They then do a pnc check on them as well.

They did with my old dear who has been been in trouble in life. .

They also want to know what kind of "environment" in the gun going into.

I kid you not about these questions.

Edited by Tattooed

The police will ask you who else lives in the house. They then do a pnc check on them as well.

They did with my old dear who has been been in trouble in life. .

They also want to know what kind of "environment" in the gun going into.

I kid you not about these questions.

Its a fact- many questions during interview about non shooting related things. home/co-habitants/social life/work/relationships with work colleagues/how long u worked there/ looking for a change etc etc. It might not be your previous trouble that stops you getting it

Best of luck

How many years since your last offence?

Have you a way of legitimately showing how you have changed your life for the better and got evidence of such?

I only say this as saying you:

- Had problems in your teens including a few 'yellow slips' aka C12's, arrests and a fine... (for things including fights)

- Issues being at home with your dad who'd be your mentor

- Not being able to remember your offences (does that mean that having a lot would make the whole essence of the shame of having an offence to your name has been dumbed down?)

All of this and only being 21 - sort of would give off a bad impression without perhaps evidence of a real hard change and new direction.

Edited to say:

I'm not one of the 'hang em high' people here - but more interested/concerned about your own 'personal PR'.

I say this as a friend of mine has a few issues under his belt with the law and it all went bad for him for a long while (wrong crowd perhaps) and since then he has turned his life around to working hard in his job, building good contacts, being respectable and raising a family well etc... but he has a good back story as to when and why he changed and has changed his 'personal brand' to be one of a more mature man who can laugh about the past as he's put it behind him and moved on - not a angry chav with a respect problem.

4 years since my last offence which i went to court (1st and only time)for breach of the peace which resulted in being bound over, never receieved any fines, what would be legitimate evidence? Havent had any troible with the police at all since last offence and have a full time job, what more can i do to prive im not a little ******** anymore?

my dad doesnt live at the same address as me, its not that we dont get on at all its more that we are too similar and end up disagreeing on things, which doesnt seem out of the ordinary to me, people disagree. i didnt mean what i said literally, just a figure of speech

they were left behind when they were done with, havent thought about them since and didnt really want to remember them to be honest, its not that i have a record that long i cant remembet half of it just decidedvto leave them in the past.

Thanks for all the replies gents, Much appreciated, think im just going to go for it, have been speaking to members on here with dirtier records than me that have still been granted sgc and fac so think i atleast stand somewhat of a chance, will wait and see

Edited by appo94

I would apply and see how you get on. If they do refuse you will get your money back.

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Go for it!!!

If they refused me this time im assuming i would be able to re apply in say 5 years time? Its not a 1 chance only type thing in that respect is it?

ill save you a journey....

The police station will not give you details about your record...

Get on the forces website and look up subject access....

This will allow you to make a request for information subject to the appropriate fee....

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/do-it-online/online-forms/foi-request.html

Couple hours late with that mate lol, cheers anyway tho will have a look on that, copper behind the desk did say she couldnt give me a copy and that i would have to contact the firearms department first to see what part of my record i need? I thought i needed everything they had on me. Anyway, going to give them a call either later on or tomorrow

If they refused me this time im assuming i would be able to re apply in say 5 years time? Its not a 1 chance only type thing in that respect is it?

No if you are refused they will tell you why. You can re apply again in maybe 1-2 years.

it might also be worth joining a club. That might help as well.

Edited by Tattooed

Couple hours late with that mate lol, cheers anyway tho will have a look on that, copper behind the desk did say she couldnt give me a copy and that i would have to contact the firearms department first to see what part of my record i need? I thought i needed everything they had on me. Anyway, going to give them a call either later on or tomorrow

We have a body called disclosure Scotland that produces a history of a person that discloses any material facts from public record, police records, etc. This operates at a few levels from any current convictions, spent convictions, police warnings, etc. They operate a service for this applying for a FAC where you get a copy of everything through them and not the rozzers.

I daresay that there is an equivalent body in England too.

Edit: Here you go, the standard disclosure report should give you everything you need to know.

https://www.disclosureservices.com/page/criminal-records-bureau-crb-check

Edited by grrclark

We have a body called disclosure Scotland that produces a history of a person that discloses any material facts from public record, police records, etc. This operates at a few levels from any current convictions, spent convictions, police warnings, etc. They operate a service for this applying for a FAC where you get a copy of everything through them and not the rozzers.

I daresay that there is an equivalent body in England too.

Edit: Here you go, the standard disclosure report should give you everything you need to know.

https://www.disclosureservices.com/page/criminal-records-bureau-crb-check

legend, cheers mate