Gun parts from the USA

Harry136

Hi, I'm off on holiday to the US in 5 weeks. I'm thinking of bringing back some shotgun parts:-

Benelli M2- a sling plate and a couple of spare firing pins/ bolt parts

Browning Cynergy- a couple of firing pins and springs etc

Are there any rules on bringing back parts like these? Also does anyone know what the most common failure parts are in these shotguns, as I may as well buy them cheap and bring them back home?

Many Thanks

Any rules? YES

Google ITAR

Also...bolt parts may or not be pressure bearing, in which case they'd come under FAC/SGC rules.

Nothing plain & simple sadly....plus not too much logic involved either.

Firing pins ARE classed as "gun parts"

Sling plates are "accessories"

Look on the Brownells USA site for an idea of what parts are classed as what....

As long as these parts are under $100 it should be OK, various parts like magazines, barrels, complete bolt assemblies etc. are not allowed under ITAR but basic repair type spares etc. are up to the $100 limit.

Unfortunately Brownells, Sinclairs, MidwayUSA tend to err on the side of caution by a large margin and classify almost everything as unshipable to the UK.

Edited by phaedra1106

I'd not use Midway in any form, US or UK

Brownells DO ship most parts, within a $100 max. order umbrella - though it could be that as I said, only SOME of the order IS classed by them as restricted parts....with other items being free of restrictions: so you can get $98 of "gun parts" yet still put in an order of $200 to $400 or so of other parts!

Midway no longer ship to the uk...

Bring back pretty much whatever you want as long as its not actions, barrels or SOME bolt assemblys.

I was out there this time last year and must have brought back about a grands worth of bits (At uk prices).

Make sure it goes in your hold luggage though, not your carry on.

Be very careful over infringing the US ITAR regulations, it's not a little slap over the wrists and a fine kind of thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations

The Americans go for criminal charges and significant jail terms, UK citizens have been extradited to stand trial in the US and imprisoned as a result, corporate entities like the UK's largest defence contractor have been fined millions of dollars for relatively minor infringements. The UK Government seem to stand to one side and let people get roasted for it.

I know this sounds like scaremongering, it isn't, they really aren't messing around.

3 or 4 years ago I ordered some Briley chokes from a company based in Texas, they completed the export paperwork with the description 'tubes', yeah technically correct but rather economic with the truth, some months later I had to attend ITAR training and my blood ran cold when I learnt the risks I'd just run.

I worked with someone that decided there'd be no harm done if he added a few things in his luggage that he'd legally bought in the USA...

He got to extend his stay...they even provided him with three meals a day, clothes to wear & free lodgings....and he managed to extend his trip by a good few months.

If something is ITAR I get it from one of the firms that have the paperwork & I stick below their established "$100 max. ITAR goods" limit (for Brownells)

Many US dealers some of whom we have been dealing for many years are currently being very curious about exports as there are ,like all legislation , some strange and seemingly daft rules . For example we bought a 20 bore 9.3x74R two barrel set . No problem shipping the shotgun barrels but special export permits were required to ship the rifle barrels .

I am currently in conversation with an American dealer who wants some parts sent from the UK to the US so I will ask him if he can advise the best way to ship small, parts and accessories from the US and what is and is not allowed .

I have very recently got back from the states where I had a company ship the gunstock that I ordered to my hotel.

After reading and investigating the subject before I ventured forth and ordered the items I just shoved them in my checked in luggage and forgot about them (all below $100 and not restricted items)

Before all this I was looking at buying a stock and forend from Boyds... Here I was told as the items together were over $100 dollars there were not able to sell me the items. I could however, order them separately, pay seperate shipping as long as each item was not individually over $100... :hmm: to coin an american term... Go figure!

Edited by jeffjjack