mountain bike,which one !

vampire

Hi all,have decided to get a mountain bike for road/off road use as part of a get fitter campaign, nothing serious.

Have read some stuff about what to get and had advice from friends,from that I have this short list,

Marin larkspur,older hybrid bike £60 last choice. Old but nice and the laquer is blistering

Schwinn maverick 2.2,new £159......1st choice. New and spec seems good,love the shape/style

Vertigo eiger,refurbished new,£90 3rd choice. Tesco direct !!!!

Boss black and gold,Halfords£159 !! 2nd choice. Halfords is the worrying bit

Oh and a KCP attack 21 in black £199. joint second choice

The Schwinn,has what I think is what I am after,ie- alloy frame,hard tail (can add sprung seat post),disc brakes,quality forks,lever gears.

Whats the expert verdict from the pigeon wiggins out there.

Edited by vampire

Get the cheapest you can afford,

That way once you've tried it around the block/village/end of the street and cannot breathe or barely circulate blood and you throw the bike behind the shed in disgust.....at least you won't have wasted to much money (been there done that twice)

That way once you've tried it around the block/village/end of the street and cannot breathe or barely circulate blood and you throw the bike behind the shed in disgust.....at least you won't have wasted to much money (been there done that twice)

So what bikes have you got behind the shed then !

First one was a £99 cheapie from Halfrauds,

Rode it once (at the wife's insistence, to get gravy granules from a shop that turned out had shut even before I'd left home)

Got home and threw it behind the shed where it rusted away

Couple or three years ago I bought a hybrid(?) road / town bike, Spent a bit (£350ish) in the belief that I might be more inclined to ride it rather than leave it sitting idle...........guess what... Didn't work and it's rusting away up the end of the garden and the tyres have perished.

Only ridden the damn thing a total of about 2 miles.

Sit down. Take a deep breath. Get yourself a large glass of decent scotch. Reflect on the fact that you are an adult. All grown up. Bikes belong to your youth. That time before you had a car. Grow up and enjoy the engineering delight that is the internal combustion engine. Nuff said!

Sit down. Take a deep breath. Get yourself a large glass of decent scotch. Reflect on the fact that you are an adult. All grown up. Bikes belong to your youth. That time before you had a car. Grow up and enjoy the engineering delight that is the internal combustion engine. Nuff said!

Ha ha,think that's how it all started when I was looking at the Yamaha mt 9,the girls are not happy about me getting another bike and would prefer I get a push bike....

If your employer does it can you join their bike to work scheme? Depending on the amount of tax you pay you get the same as tax off the bike. So if you are in the 20% tax bracket then 20% off etc.

It's a great way to get a better bike for no more money :D

Edited by Laird Lugton

Me too. blush.gif.pagespeed.ce.52mZp8Fmx9.gif

I had a Raleigh - I can't remember the name of it - and it was an excellent bike. The only problem was the idiot on the seat who thought he was 12 again. :unhappy:

Edited by Les*1066

Any one that comes complete with an electric motor.

You can tell her that the motor is the gearing and the battery is the toolkit. Believe me, it works!

I looked at them and I did think,i could get away with that :no: but then I thought,like Taxi Driver it may just end up behind the garage.

I have now won a bike off the bay,the second hand Marin which looks ok ish,so will see if this cycling thing is suited and then get a better one,thats not like me to be sensible.....must be old age creeping in :/

Read up and see what the good makes are ... then get on Gumtree or eBay and look for a second hand bike where someone has upgraded.

So the Marin I won turned out to be not so good,but the guy agreed to cancel the transaction.

Bigthug87,did that and ended up between two second hand ones both in top condition,1st was a carrear Vulcan xc and a commental ,I bought the Carrera tonight and am well pleased,writes ups seem to say its a good entry level bike and it has all the good stuff,so begins me being a cyclist,now what colour lycra to get :lol::whistling:

Anybody know anything about the BT'WIN bikes sold at Decathlon? There's one currently at £289, full suspension, disc brakes, looks good. But, it could be a Halfrauds' Apollo like pile of wombat's droppings. :hmm:

B'twin bikes are generally very good value for money, keep away from anything full suspension at that price though, it will weigh a ton, have more complex parts to fail & if anything put you off using it. Go for a hybrid bike if you're not using it for blasting down the side of a hill. The carrera subway bikes are great & can be found quite cheap on gumtree etc.

B'twin bikes are generally very good value for money, keep away from anything full suspension at that price though, it will weigh a ton, have more complex parts to fail & if anything put you off using it. Go for a hybrid bike if you're not using it for blasting down the side of a hill. The carrera subway bikes are great & can be found quite cheap on gumtree etc.

Thanks for that. I ride on quite heavily potholed/rutted dirt tracks. I had a non suspension bike that used to end up in tingling in fingers, etc. due to vibration. Now have a Raleigh full suspension which is a more comfortable ride but just doesn't "fit" as well.

Anybody know anything about the BT'WIN bikes sold at Decathlon? There's one currently at £289, full suspension, disc brakes, looks good. But, it could be a Halfrauds' Apollo like pile of wombat's droppings. :hmm:

I was shocked when I saw the price, but it actually looks a good bike for the money.

Of course it isn't going to be fast/light as something more expensive but it reviews well

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-500-s-full-suspension-mountain-bike-id_8208677.html