Semi Auto in .22WMR?

Mitchiet123

Hi all,

Im thinking about getting a semi auto in .22wmr as I love HMR but fancy a bit of extra knockdown power for foxes and obviously cant get a semi auto in .17hmr (not that I would want that with all the issues they have!)

So what would be the best gun to have in .22wmr (not a bolt-have considered it but really want a semi auto) and what are the ones available as cant find anything except for the CZ 512?

Cheers,

Mitch

Whilst legal in the UK your choice of WMR semi rifles is certainly limited.

CZ still do the WMR semi as do Remington in the 597, I'm pretty sure the 10/22 is no longer available in WMR, and the Magtech and Mossberg are only available in .22lr. I don't think Anschutz make semis anymore at all, but I believe they were only .22lr anyway.

There must be others but I can't think off the top of my head.

Just a rider on the HMR Semis, they were of course legal in many countries although not the UK, but are no longer made by anyone and have been withdrawn.

The 512 is a good gun though, as semis go you will not be disappointed.

Over to others to add/correct or fill in the gaps.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Out of interest, why not a bolt action?

There's plenty of choice, bolt actions are, by and large, more accurate and reliable.

Browning's T-bolt WMR is one that I've been considering as a replacement to my elderly match barrelled Walther WMR: Faster loading than conventional bolt action and no need to take your eye off the line of sight.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/browning-t-bolt-rifle

Edited by Savhmr

Out of interest, why not a bolt action?

There's plenty of choice, bolt actions are, by and large, more accurate and reliable.

Browning's T-bolt WMR is one that I've been considering as a replacement to my elderly match barrelled Walther WMR: Faster loading than conventional bolt action and no need to take your eye off the line of sight.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/browning-t-bolt-rifle

Already got a bolt action in .17hmr, and although I can cycle the bolt pretty fast, I have to take my eye slightly away from the scope, whereas the semi I can fast fire shots (a lot faster than a BA) into a 1-2" circle reliably without moving. Did think about the T-bolt but didn't like the feel or stiffness of the bolt, may have just been because it was new though!

Almost got a H&K Model 270 in .22 WMR, a few years back.

Wish I'd bought it now....but was after the .22lr version at the time.

Nice one I'll have a look at that!

Thanks for your input folks

Mitch

Already got a bolt action in .17hmr, and although I can cycle the bolt pretty fast, I have to take my eye slightly away from the scope, whereas the semi I can fast fire shots (a lot faster than a BA) into a 1-2" circle reliably without moving. Did think about the T-bolt but didn't like the feel or stiffness of the bolt, may have just been because it was new though!

Nice one I'll have a look at that!

Thanks for your input folks

Mitch

Indeed you can, I got 10 shots off in 1.8seconds prone on the bipod at 100 yards at Bisley, and they all went in the black.

Unfortunately that is what the semis are very good at, using ammunition quickly and giving you a big grin...... and an empty pocket.

I run semis and BA, and if truth be known there are only a handful of times every year the semi is first choice, I reach for the BA more often! :good:

Indeed you can, I got 10 shots off in 1.8seconds prone on the bipod at 100 yards at Bisley, and they all went in the black.

Unfortunately that is what the semis are very good at, using ammunition quickly and giving you a big grin...... and an empty pocket.

I run semis and BA, and if truth be known there are only a handful of times every year the semi is first choice, I reach for the BA more often! :good:

How do you actually test that? as I would like to test how fast I can fire my beretta a400 as they all claim its like 8 shots in under a second or something crazy!

It would seem i'm chasing the rush of blasting off some rounds in quick succession then! Would normally make sense to just get one in .22lr but id like the magnum for the foxes!

Mitch

How do you actually test that? as I would like to test how fast I can fire my beretta a400 as they all claim its like 8 shots in under a second or something crazy!

It would seem i'm chasing the rush of blasting off some rounds in quick succession then! Would normally make sense to just get one in .22lr but id like the magnum for the foxes!

Mitch

A strong fit trigger finger and someone with a stop watch, I concede it isn't that scientific but we had several goes and under 2 seconds regularly.

As for accuracy, then its simply a matter of locking your sight on the target and hanging on. :good:

Edited by Dekers

A strong fit trigger finger and someone with a stop watch, I concede it isn't that scientific but we had several goes and under 2 seconds regularly.

As for accuracy, then its simple a matter of locking your sight on the target and hanging on. :good:

Just got to find a shooting buddy now then! :D

And of course wait a few months for Gwent police to do my variation....

Just got to find a shooting buddy now then! :D

And of course wait a few months for Gwent police to do my variation....

Just had my FAC grant via Gwent Police, took 6 weeks from the day i sent it off to the day i received it, was pretty impressed how much quicker it was than getting my SGC 3 years ago. Hopefully shouldn't take too long for you :good:

Just had my FAC grant via Gwent Police, took 6 weeks from the day i sent it off to the day i received it, was pretty impressed how much quicker it was than getting my SGC 3 years ago. Hopefully shouldn't take too long for you :good:

Christ they've improved then. I got mine in September and took around 4 months! Ill get on that then!

I would have to doubt the effectiveness of 22WMR on adult foxes at the sort of distances they are usually encountered at but it is currently the most powerful semi you can legally own. With a fox you almost always only get one shot, miss that semi or not and its gone. Far better to have a small centerfire bolt action in a minimum caliber of 22 Hornet, a 204/222/223 would be better though. Have you discussed this with your FEO ?, they will probably have some advise, which may or may not be good.

A

I would have to doubt the effectiveness of 22WMR on adult foxes at the sort of distances they are usually encountered at but it is currently the most powerful semi you can legally own. With a fox you almost always only get one shot, miss that semi or not and its gone. Far better to have a small centerfire bolt action in a minimum caliber of 22 Hornet, a 204/222/223 would be better though. Have you discussed this with your FEO ?, they will probably have some advise, which may or may not be good.

A

Life may be different in your part of the world but I shoot the VAST majority of my foxes under 100 yards, and very seldom find the need to take them past 200 yards.

The WMR is plenty of gun for 100 yards, even a bit more on fox.

The New Home Office Guide also makes it clear that rimfires, including the .22lr are fox suitable as appropriate.

:yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

I would have to doubt the effectiveness of 22WMR on adult foxes at the sort of distances they are usually encountered

Have you discussed this with your FEO ?, they will probably have some advise, which may or may not be good.

A

WMR was my go to urban fox rifle for a very long time. no idea how many it has accounted for.

None of them ever head shot. side on front on, 17-125yds. usually fells them in their shadow

only one that worried me ran into some trees in around 1yds of grass, other side was a fariway

i thought it had gone into the grass and stayed there or changed direction and got away

turns out it made it exactly 12 yds onto the fairway on the other side

i use 33gr Accu point.

as for FEO's advice.....I suggest you take it with a large pinch of salt as I have yet to come across an FEO that actually has first hand experience of the calibre they are giving advice on!

Life may be different in your part of the world but I shoot the VAST majority of my foxes under 100 yards, and very seldom find the need to take them past 200 yards.

The WMR is plenty of gun for 100 yards, even a bit more on fox.

The New Home Office Guide also makes it clear that rimfires, including the .22lr are fox suitable as appropriate.

:yes::good:

aye same as me, I shoot them on a golf course which runs parallel to a railway so they are not very wary- all under 100 yards id say!

Ive got a slot for .223, but Im not sure whether that would be too loud to use as it is in quite a residential area, and even with a mod I reckon it would be too loud- what are your thoughts on that?

Mitch

I had a H & K in 22wmr and found I could not keep it on target for the second shot as the bolt was so heavy working the action I could not keep it steady.

Also I had a problem keeping the scope rail attached to the action, it was glued on with a special adhesive but still came off.

I had a H & K in 22wmr and found I could not keep it on target for the second shot as the bolt was so heavy working the action I could not keep it steady.

Also I had a problem keeping the scope rail attached to the action, it was glued on with a special adhesive but still came off.

Think i'll probably get the CZ 512, but good point as ive never shot a .22wmr. somehow got to try one out and see if the recoil is affected as you say. cant imagine the recoil would be much more than a .17hmr if anything at all though?

Think i'll probably get the CZ 512, but good point as ive never shot a .22wmr. somehow got to try one out and see if the recoil is affected as you say. cant imagine the recoil would be much more than a .17hmr if anything at all though?

I suspect this may be a feature of the H&K, EMcC knows his stuff and there is no recoil as such from a WMR, he is referring to the action.

This is not a particular problem that I have heard about on any of the usual semis.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

The H&K .22wmr I was talking about as regards recoil.

It was not from the round it was from the size of the bolt slamming back and forth and I was talking about trying to get very quick shots off.

Whilst out once I came across some Soldiers and they thought it was a full blown auto but when I pointed out that it was only a lowly .22wmr and semi auto one of them thought it would be fun to see how fast he could operate it by pulling the trigger fast !!

We stuck a Compo tin at apx fifty yards, a tin the size of a bean can, and I gave him ten rounds to have a go.

Sure enough the first round went dead centre but the second and third were way off, although after trying quick fire on the second and feeling the kick, he readjusted and took the third shot a lot slower and hit the can.

A couple of the other guys called him a wimp and reckoned they could do better but I let a couple more try it and none did any better.

So the general consensus of opinion was that it was a good rifle but only for 'quick' shots as opposed to 'very quick' shots.

Whereas when I had a ruger 10/22 I could blat off a full mag with reasonable accuracy, at least I could get a quick ten rounds off and hit a bean can at fifty yards - most of the time ;-)