Plumbing Help

James1983

So our shower was leaking about 12 months ago when it was in use so we stopped using it as we have a separate bath. We didn't have the money to fix it as we was expecting our daughter. Few months after Lucy was born the other half dad arranged for someone to come round and rip out the old shower as we was planning on installing a new one.

Ordered all the bits earlier this year and they now sat waiting in the Bathroom to be installed which i am happy to do. The only bit i am not sure how to do is the moving of two pipes that are in the way. A friend of ours was going to come and help move the pipes but he now half way through a load of DIY in his own house and they just had their 2nd child so he not going to get chance anytime soon. So i am getting nagged that we will never get the shower installed!!

So is anyone able to give me advice on what to do with the two pipes in the pictures below. We need to get them moved so they can be behind the wall. I was just going to cover them up with a false wall but there not enough space to do that due to the window ledge!

I have done some plumbing in the past but no expert and not done much with coper piping other than fixing a leaky joint

What would you do with these pipes to be able to feed them up the false wall?

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

If going on the lath wall, cut pipes below top of bath level and fix isolation valves below top of bath level/just above floor boards and feed new pipe with 90degree bends behind lath wall and out of wall with 90 degree bends( make sure you can get at ISO valves when bath is fitted for future maintenance)

If going on brick wall , same as above but chase out the wall , fit pipes into wall and plaster over pipes

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

No plumber , but for me it looks like the old lathe and plaster wall needs to come down , then there should be room to run the pipes behind it and back through where needed , obviously you would then need to put up a new stud wall.

Thats what i was planning on doing but the problem i have got is i don't know what to do with the pipes.

Should i cut the section out and replace with the vertical feed in the correct place or am i able to bend the existing ones into place?

Thats what i was planning on doing but the problem i have got is i don't know what to do with the pipes.

Should i cut the section out and replace with the vertical feed in the correct place or am i able to bend the existing ones into place?

cut the pipes and remove the verticals put a straight join in to take the pipes back behind the old wall then a T piece to take them up to where needed and to join back to the existing pipe.

Problem in the pipes behind the wall are a lot higher so will have to fit a t pipe and a 90degree downwards bend in the wall cavity to be able to bring the pipe down to the level below the bathroom floor boards to join back put to the other pipe.

Don't you just love old terrace houses! We just had insurance out as had a leaky pipe coming through kitchen ceiling and turned out there was about 15ft of lead piping that needed replacing! The Mrs was too shy to ask the plumbers to move these whilst they was here and i was at work!

Where do you live? Im a plumbing and heating engineer. If it was me I would drain down unsolder it put a new tee in with a m&f elbow and take them back into the wall. Unless if your a/c is on that back of that wall you could cap them under the floor and come through with new feeds. Ifyou have a cylinder in there if your on a combi.ignore that plan. Depending on how your soldering skills are I think speedfit or hep will help you on this one.

Best advice is either get a plumber in to do job or get ur mate round purely to advise the best way to do it, shouldnae take long to give some advice or even move the pipes.

I'm obviously not a plumber either but could u use that new modern plastic pipe?? See a lot of new build nowadays with plastic pipe al throu house, never used it myself (need an ultra sonic mouse scarer thing plugged in thou to stop mice eating ur pipes!!)

If so get some fittings to take the 15mm/22mm copper onto plastic push fitting and cut pipes below floor level and u will be able to feed pipes where u need easier.

Or can u get extra extra long flexible tap connector type things?? :whistling: That would be a real cowboy/bodged job thou

I magine the shower tray will be going where the pipes are now? If so prob not worth putting an isolating valve there as u wont be able to get to it without lifting shower tray. I would try to stick an isolating valve in somewhere where u can get easy access once new shower is fitted.

Also i'm not sure how isolating valves may affect hot/cold feeds if in wrong place, only used to electric showers so 1 cold feed, it may not be an issue thou?

Not really a lot of point in ripping the old plaster off unless u are going to replace the whole wall (never seen such wide and strong looking lath's before, most i have seen are very spindly althou most would be late 1800's early 1900's plaster) imagine wall will be hidden with tiles or aqua board anyway

Edited by scotslad

Would get a plumber in but with the Mrs on maternity leave funds are tight at the minute.

There is already an isolation valve on each pipe about 4 inches back behind that wall that can be access by the boiler cupboard in the second bedroom.

The house was owned by a dodgy builder before us and keep finding a lot of strange things when we come to do things in the house! Dont even get me onto the electrics!

Think I got a good idea of how I can do it now from all the above posts. Just need to find a spare day to get cracking with it.

Edited by James1983

Use hep pipe and fittings if you are not to good with plumbing,lot less chance of leak behind wall.Toolstation will have all the bits you need.

If u can use plastic flexible pipe would definately make ur life a lot easier, just cut off below floor level and fit the reducer/adapter to take u from copper to plastic and leave plenty of tail coming out of wall

Done a few like that and was very nervous at first but never had a leak in the end.

Use new copper pipe if possible.

Buy a few Yorkshire fitting ( with solder already in them, expensive but super easy for a DIY err ) and a fresh pot of flux from the plumbers mechants

Buy a roll of lead free solder

Buy a rotary pipe cutter (£5 ish) so you can cut in a confined space and not leave any burrs on the pipe ends.

Clean every surface with a ball of clean steel wool.

Get a decent blow lamp and a heat resistant mat.

Cut, clean, DRY EVERYTHING, flux, heat, dab an extra bit of solder on and leave to cool.

Dirt, water and poor alignent makes soldering a bit of a pig.

If you take it slow and clean and dry you shoud be OK.

Edited by harpoonlouis

Would get a plumber in but with the Mrs on maternity leave funds are tight at the minute.

There is already an isolation valve on each pipe about 4 inches back behind that wall that can be access by the boiler cupboard in the second bedroom.

The house was owned by a dodgy builder before us and keep finding a lot of strange things when we come to do things in the house! Dont even get me onto the electrics!

Think I got a good idea of how I can do it now from all the above posts. Just need to find a spare day to get cracking with it.

where near Doncaster?

If you want I could call next week and give you an hour or so.I will have to fit it round my other jobs pm me your number if you want to discuss.

Just want to say a massive thanks to Shootthepigeon for his help today in sorting the piping out for me. Really appreciate what you done for us today and the mrs is already asking me when the shower will be finished now haha.

Owe you a round of clays at the very least so like i said let me know if you ever fancy and hour or two.