Little NV tip

Davyo

Well the new kit all worked very well.

The light was fading fast and two decent sizes lads came out at a hair over 75m. The light was too low for me to see them unassisted.

Without the lamp they were relatively easy to see through the new kit, so crop muncher #1 got the bad news.

One thing about using a screen which is very handy is: where I was positioned is on a slight downhill slope. I have a jiggered back, so I can't just lie there and wait - prone. I was able to lock the stock onto my thigh, while kneeling, and take the shot from there. I still got the head-shot, he wasn't aware of it, but I'd rather it that way.

So: his buddy shot off into the hedge. I waited, the light went completely (The cloud I wished for earlier was supplied in good quantity) - no one else showed (that I could see).

My 501b (even with new battery and fancy lens) is not up to the job. The rabbits there are very lamp shy, so,,,,,, Looks like I need a new IR lamp with a bit more oomph.

BTW, my concern about running both camera and screen on 2 * 18560 batteries (7.4v) instead of 8 * AA (12v) was needless. Tested in the kitchen just fine. Working lifetime of charge remains to be seen, but,,,,,,, (watch this space).

Ohhh, in case you haven't noticed - I'm hooked!

I can think of at least 3 different set-ups I want to have a play with.

Was chatting with the farmer after I came off the fields.

He's convinced I'm mad, but as long as I keep supplying him with rabbit corpses,,,,,,,

Edited by Alpha Mule

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the new kit all worked very well.

The light was fading fast and two decent sizes lads came out at a hair over 75m. The light was too low for me to see them unassisted.

Without the lamp they were relatively easy to see through the new kit, so crop muncher #1 got the bad news.

One thing about using a screen which is very handy is: where I was positioned is on a slight downhill slope. I have a jiggered back, so I can't just lie there and wait - prone. I was able to lock the stock onto my thigh, while kneeling, and take the shot from there. I still got the head-shot, he wasn't aware of it, but I'd rather it that way.

So: his buddy shot off into the hedge. I waited, the light went completely (The cloud I wished for earlier was supplied in good quantity) - no one else showed (that I could see).

My 501b (even with new battery and fancy lens) is not up to the job. The rabbits there are very lamp shy, so,,,,,, Looks like I need a new IR lamp with a bit more oomph.

BTW, my concern about running both camera and screen on 2 * 18560 batteries (7.4v) instead of 8 * AA (12v) was needless. Tested in the kitchen just fine. Working lifetime of charge remains to be seen, but,,,,,,, (watch this space).

Ohhh, in case you haven't noticed - I'm hooked!

I can think of at least 3 different set-ups I want to have a play with.

Was chatting with the farmer after I came off the fields.

He's convinced I'm mad, but as long as I keep supplying him with rabbit corpses,,,,,,,

Get yourself a T20 or T38 IR torch, with the new 'AS' IR pil. It's excellent. :good:

Get yourself a T20 or T38 IR torch, with the new 'AS' IR pil. It's excellent. :good:

Other than the lens diameter what is the difference between the two?

I'm looking to use it on my HMR so looking at clear ID and definition to about 120m.

Will the T20 with AS pill do the trick?

Also: prices vary massively. Any links to 'keenly priced' ones would be appreciated.

Other than the lens diameter what is the difference between the two?

I'm looking to use it on my HMR so looking at clear ID and definition to about 120m.

Will the T20 with AS pill do the trick?

Also: prices vary massively. Any links to 'keenly priced' ones would be appreciated.

According to Ludicrous Lumens, where I bought mine from, the bigger the lens diameter, the tighter you can reduce the beam size. I have a T38 as well, with a 50mm head, and there is a slight difference between this and my T20.

I would just go with a T20/AS pil. It will suit your needs.

Ludicrous Lumens may not be the cheapest, but certainly not the dearest. Plus you get free next day delivery and excellent customer service.

Dave-G, Have you got a picture you could put up that shows how the KPC E709 and 16mm lens fits inside the tube?

And lastly, When you say "pre-removed" IF filter, do you mean pre-removed only if I buy it from Sure24? I'd more than likely buy it from there, but just wanted to be sure. No pun intended..

Cheers.

J.

EDIT - Now I see the camera housing is 30mmx30mm, are you using a piece of 50mm pvc plumbing waste pipe and end cap to fix the camera/lens into?

Edited by jam1e

Dave-G, Have you got a picture you could put up that shows how the KPC E709 and 16mm lens fits inside the tube?

And lastly, When you say "pre-removed" IF filter, do you mean pre-removed only if I buy it from Sure24? I'd more than likely buy it from there, but just wanted to be sure. No pun intended..

Cheers.

J.

EDIT - Now I see the camera housing is 30mmx30mm, are you using a piece of 50mm pvc plumbing waste pipe and end cap to fix the camera/lens into?

Sure24 sells the E700 camera's with the IR filter removed. You can also buy them with the filter still attached, but pointless of course.

E700 fits the floplas waste pipe fittings just perfick. :)

Cheers Dave!

Just looking at screw-fix actually. I take it you used a small section of their 40mm (Not 50mm as I said) waste pipe and glued (?) the the "end cap" of the 40mm pipe? Can't get my head around how the 2 come together as they advertise so many end caps that look similar when attached to the pipe? Is it the one that states, eeer, "Access plug"? :oops:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-abs-access-plug-white-40mm-pack-of-5/23322

Cheers

J.

Edited by jam1e

Cheers Dave!

Just looking at screw-fix actually. I take it you used a small section of their 40mm (Not 50mm as I said) waste pipe and glued (?) the the "end cap" of the 40mm pipe? Can't get my head around how the 2 come together as they advertise so many end caps that look similar when attached to the pipe? Is it the one that states, eeer, "Access plug"? :oops:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-abs-access-plug-white-40mm-pack-of-5/23322

Cheers

J.

yes thats right one bud

Cheers Ant, thought it was painted.

While I'm here, What have you folks found to be the best route for the cable leading from the camera to the screen/battery box? I suppose I mean, Is it best to route them inside or outside the waste pipe? Or does the camera pick up the cables?

Sorry to be a pain folks, I just want to get it right first time. Although this isn't my first venture into diy NV, and I have a box of allsorts somewhere....

Cheers.

J.

Advice please on 2 x 18650 battery holders for inside the project box.

The batteries I have been viewing on line are flat topped batteries. Is the ebay No 271897325452 holder recommended in this thread suitable for flat topped batteries? If not, is there a suitable holder available and source please?

Many thanks

Advice please on 2 x 18650 battery holders for inside the project box.

The batteries I have been viewing on line are flat topped batteries. Is the ebay No 271897325452 holder recommended in this thread suitable for flat topped batteries? If not, is there a suitable holder available and source please?

Many thanks

The holder is for button topped batteries. The selling price is for a pack of five.

Try: 331617679656

Trial and error I'm afraid. My findings have been that there's button tops and button tops. :oops:

Some are longer than some others. I had some Torchy one's that simply could not be pressed in and caused this:

DSCF5019_zpsiypzq1xe.jpg

As I'd bought so many of them I used to extend them by cutting them in half and gluing them in with a gap between them.

I have now found some that are ideal for flat top cells:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271897325452

Gents: I have to post my thanks to you all.

I've gone and done it!

There was a bit of trial and error and there are some things I'll do differently if I do another ('IF' hahahahahahahaha)

There is a power switch on the other side too.

All it needs now is a quick spray paint and it'll be done.

A piccie for you:

post-14972-0-84877700-1454306699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alpha Mule

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed reading this, probably too much for me to make as I am not that way inclined :-(

Alpha Mule how much did it cost you in total to make that? Including the IR torch? Daft question can it be easily removed to allow your rifle to be used during the day or is it a case that once on its all left in situ??

Enjoyed reading this, probably too much for me to make as I am not that way inclined :-(

Alpha Mule how much did it cost you in total to make that? Including the IR torch? Daft question can it be easily removed to allow your rifle to be used during the day or is it a case that once on its all left in situ??

Go for it. Have a go. I wanted to make a spotter and had the same self doubts. With advice from DaveG, FalconFN I bought a soldering Iron and did it. Really chuffed. Have now built an add on.

Yes. You only put them in the scope for NV and take them off in the day.