Legislation passed

LeadWasp

I and I am sure others, have just received the BASC Scotland news letter email and there is a link to the Airgun licencing and also the proposed changes to land ownership in Scotland.

I haven't yet read it all in detail but as a first pass it has answers to some of the questions being asked. I need to look at it in a bit more depth.

I am sure there will be a link from the main BASC web site to the Scottish section for all to have a look at.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that unfortunately a lot of people will comply but that the licensing scheme will be a debacle for the following reasons:-

• With a reduction of licensing staff from 31 to 14 there is no capacity in the system to handle 500,000 odd air rifles OVERNIGHT which a change in the law will require.
  • A lot of people will own air rifles but be completely unaware of the changes, therefore expect to see the Nats make early examples of any transgressors as they are proponents of the whole 'stick' rather than 'carrot' approach to government. It will take a while for the concept of licensing to seep into the psyche of the population as it is such a change.
  • It will put a lot of people under financial pressure - tens of pounds is still tens of pounds.
  • The Scottish air rifle market is now largely worthless
  • There will be thousands of 'dead uncle' gun scenarious every week for the police to deal with as yet more air guns are found in potting sheds, on top of wardrobes..........

Most people are law abiding and/or don't fancy time inside for possession.

This law is a classic example of the legislation process at it's worst. Regardless of the actual remit which the resident Scot's gave them they now think they can gallop ahead with their 'plans'. Their election to government has given them the opportunity in recent years to pop the cork on decades of furious political frustration. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle now and anyone who doesn't fit in with their narrow view of the world will be a target. They've only just begun on the whole land and sporting machinery of Scotland. Dark skies.

Yet I've seen no evidence of protests.........................

Yet I've seen no evidence of protests.........................

Perhaps these who voted the Scottish Government into power want all this? Only around 20,000 people could be bothered to lobby regarding the air gun legislation as far as I can recall ( even less cos I wrote twice ) so the will isn't there obviously.

It simply shows us up for what we are. It doesn't matter how many organisations we have nor how many members those organisations have if, despite the best efforts of those organisations, the members can't be bothered to even voice their concerns. We get what we deserve, as always.

Only around 20,000 people could be bothered to lobby regarding the air gun legislation as far as I can recall ( even less cos I wrote twice ) so the will isn't there obviously.

maybe the most of those 20,000 are already holders of a fire arm or shot gun certificate and therefore taking a further interest in there given hobby , pastime or employment. I don't know how far reaching the initial lobby against the legislation went and how it was covered by the press. I know that BASC Scotland did keep there members informed, don't know how the likes of SACS, gamekeepers association etc covered it with there members.

We also we do not know the exact numbers of air guns that are owned by current certificate & licence holders out of the 50.000 that are alleged to be in circulation currently. Were the numbers boosted up to give the bill some extra punch ??

It may not be so easy to organise an all out protest as suggested but I think now that the bill has been passed it will be very difficult to revoke. If the little red riding hood can get her own way she will and I think if this, as a lot of people are saying is the thin edge of a wedge against gun ownership in Scotland more gun owners will come out against any further changes to the law. Well I least I hope they would.

maybe the most of those 20,000 are already holders of a fire arm or shot gun certificate and therefore taking a further interest in there given hobby , pastime or employment. I don't know how far reaching the initial lobby against the legislation went and how it was covered by the press. I know that BASC Scotland did keep there members informed, don't know how the likes of SACS, gamekeepers association etc covered it with there members. ​I think you're right, most of the 20 odd thousand who lobbied were already firearms owners, but how many were in Scotland I have no idea. I live in England and wasn't urged to lobby by anyone. I signed the online petition which was on here I think, but had already lobbied by email anyhow, but never received a reply. Perhaps because I'm English and therefore my opinion wasn't relevant?

We also we do not know the exact numbers of air guns that are owned by current certificate & licence holders out of the 50.000 ( 500,000 ) that are alleged to be in circulation currently. Were the numbers boosted up to give the bill some extra punch ?? Not sure, but I think the 500,000 figure originally came from BASC sources rather than a Scottish government source.

It may not be so easy to organise an all out protest as suggested but I think now that the bill has been passed it will be very difficult to revoke. Yes, far too late now If the little red riding hood can get her own way she will and I think if this, as a lot of people are saying is the thin edge of a wedge against gun ownership in Scotland more gun owners will come out against any further changes to the law. Well I least I hope they would. So would I, but they wont.

I lobbied against the change in legislation and will continue to do so, but I think the sad fact is that in terms of bigger life issues this is small beer for most; it is a minor inconvenience compared to other things in life for the vast majority so there won't be any exceptional actions to protest, just a sad shrug of the shoulders and a sigh. Sadly I believe that the same would hold true for shotgun/firearm license changes too.

I think there is also a feeling of a 'fait accompli' amongst the non SNP supporting Scottish populace, they (SNP) have sufficient majority to push through what they want and they will regardless of the pressure applied externally. The consultation had 90% disagreement from those that bothered to respond yet they still push this along as a headline policy.

They convincingly lost the referendum and yet less than a year later they are posturing for another one, they simply do not care about or listen to anybody who voices an opinion different to their own. They do menace and bully businesses who speak out against their policies, despite their protests of innocence.

As a very proud Scotsman I really do despair at what is happening in my country just now, there is this mass obsequiousness towards the SNP and whatever they say, it is mass hysteria. There truly is a mindless observance to the SNP machine, I genuinely worry about where it might end.

I lobbied against the change in legislation and will continue to do so, but I think the sad fact is that in terms of bigger life issues this is small beer for most; it is a minor inconvenience compared to other things in life for the vast majority so there won't be any exceptional actions to protest, just a sad shrug of the shoulders and a sigh. Sadly I believe that the same would hold true for shotgun/firearm license changes too.

I think there is also a feeling of a 'fait accompli' amongst the non SNP supporting Scottish populace, they (SNP) have sufficient majority to push through what they want and they will regardless of the pressure applied externally. The consultation had 90% disagreement from those that bothered to respond yet they still push this along as a headline policy.

They convincingly lost the referendum and yet less than a year later they are posturing for another one, they simply do not care about or listen to anybody who voices an opinion different to their own. They do menace and bully businesses who speak out against their policies, despite their protests of innocence.

As a very proud Scotsman I really do despair at what is happening in my country just now, there is this mass obsequiousness towards the SNP and whatever they say, it is mass hysteria. There truly is a mindless observance to the SNP machine, I genuinely worry about where it might end.

100% correct and very well put!

Good post. Worrying times indeed.

The shooting community has suffered from an acute dose of apathy for decades.....I think Stereophonics line sums it up quite well......"there's more life, more life, more life in a tramps vest"

very well said.We need more detrmination FIGHTING SPIRIT and a good dose of UNITY or we'll end up screwed!

This is very eloquently put and you've managed to condense what a lot of us are feeling.

As others have already posted, well said.