.22 rim fire ammo .

Any lead bullet shooting rifle with a lubricant should not be cleaned. The seasoning of the bore with a film of said lube is crucial to performance.

:hmm:

I'm not actually following what you are saying.

Simple fact is, look at any top .22lr target shooters pistol/rifle and ammo/barrel.

None of it is covered in lube or lead!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hmm:

I'm not actually following what you are saying.

Simple fact is, look at any top .22lr target shooters pistol/rifle and ammo/barrel.

None of it is covered in lube or lead!

As you know sir, cleaning a 22 usually requires several rounds after to recoat the bore with lube. Then best accuracy is recovered.

A good shooting rifle of lead bullets hard or soft should not leave any lead in the bore. If the lube is doing its job and pressure not to much or powder type good and if a fire wall is working.

Black powder cartridge rifles lasted years without rotting due to the coating of lube on the bore. It was the priming that did damage eventually.

Many target shooters today of BPMC strive for a lube that leaves a wet star on the crown. It keeps the fouling soft, a must for competitive shooting.

Many are lubed bullets today leave a lot to be desired!

As you know sir, cleaning a 22 usually requires several rounds after to recoat the bore with lube. Then best accuracy is recovered.

A good shooting rifle of lead bullets hard or soft should not leave any lead in the bore. If the lube is doing its job and pressure not to much or powder type good and if a fire wall is working.

Black powder cartridge rifles lasted years without rotting due to the coating of lube on the bore. It was the priming that did damage eventually.

Many target shooters today of BPMC strive for a lube that leaves a wet star on the crown. It keeps the fouling soft, a must for competitive shooting.

Many are lubed bullets today leave a lot to be desired!

Not if the bore etc is true and undamaged, and you clean it properly.

I commonly hear.... never clean, it takes me 50 shots to get it shooting straight afterwards. :lol: :lol::lol:

Odd that mine all shoot straight shot 1, or 2 at worst, and that has nothing to do with lead/lube, it is simply clearing any last remnants of cleaning solvents from by barrel. :hmm::good:

Without doubt .22lr firing exclusively modern Lead subs is hardly tough on modern barrels, and my .22lrs get cleaned least of all my rlfles these days, but action/chambers etc get regular attention because the propellant is still relatively filthy. Back in my serious target days I spent more time cleaning than shooting, and it paid off.

And Black Powder is not .22lr! :good:

Not if the bore etc is true and undamaged, and you clean it properly.

I commonly hear.... never clean, it takes me 50 shots to get it shooting straight afterwards. :lol: :lol::lol:

Odd that mine all shoot straight shot 1, or 2 at worst, and that has nothing to do with lead/lube, it is simply clearing any last remnants of cleaning solvents from by barrel. :hmm::good:

Without doubt .22lr firing exclusively modern Lead subs is hardly tough on modern barrels, and my .22lrs get cleaned least of all my rlfles these days, but action/chambers etc get regular attention because the propellant is still relatively filthy. Back in my serious target days I spent more time cleaning than shooting, and it paid off.

And Black Powder is not .22lr! :good:

OK bud.

A slight tangent, 22 originally was a black powder cartridge, hence the original design of plenty soft lube.

Just got back from a zeroing session with the new T bolt rimfire . I bought some RWS to try out and what a super cartridge they are .

My first target I shot the remainder of the eley subs that I had left and at 70 good paces they gave me a group the size of a two P coin ,there were no flyers and they were very quiet ,very accurate and consistent round .

The next up was the RWS. I was very impressed with this round . They were very quiet and again no flyers ,a sign of consistent ammo . The group was marginally tighter than the eley and shot in exactly the same place ,which is good news ,as I can shoot two different makes off the same zero .

Next I shot some fiocchi . They wereNoticeably noisier than the eley and the RWS but were super accurate with a group marginally bigger than the other two and were shooting about an inch lower .

I then tried some Remington , oh dear . These were absolutely awful . They were very loud and some even sounded like hi velocity . I really struggled to get a reasonable group at all . They were all over the target board and more flyers than a high pheasant day . I really did try to shoot a decent group with them and the best I could manage was a mediocre 3 inch group ,a dreadful cartridge .

All in all a good session with the new rifle . I was very pleased with the eley ,RWS and the fiocchi the Remington ,well what can I say ,rubbish .

CCI segmenting subsonic are meant for semi autos and give a bit of a crack when fired through a bolt action

CCI segmenting QUIET are for bolt actions and yes are very quiet would give my PCP air rifle a run for its money

BUT and its a big but I have found after 35 meters they become very unstable and the group expands some what

Hope this info helps

Cheers K Mac

I thought about getting one of the tbolts as they looked a nifty little rifle but opted for a barrel shortening instead on the old Brno. One thing I did find as a left handed shooter was that I could use my left thumb to pull back the bolt and then push it forward again with minimal movement all round.

I use fiocchi - found them to be an excellent performer.

Edited by Katzenjammer

There's a good write up about .22 sub sonic ammunition in this months edition of Sporting Rifle.

Steve i read that, but wouldnt it have been a better test if the ammunition was put through more than one make of test rifle, or it makes a farce of a particular make of rifle favouring a particular brand of ammunition.

Steve i read that, but wouldnt it have been a better test if the ammunition was put through more than one make of test rifle, or it makes a farce of a particular make of rifle favouring a particular brand of ammunition.

I think that you only need to be concerned with the rifle that you are shooting . It doesn't matter if a certain brand shoots better or worse through somebody else's gun as long as you can find a brand that shoots well through your gun . That's why I will always try different ammo through a new gun . The Remington sub sonics were shocking through my gun ,but I bet somebody will be able to say that they shoot well in their gun .

Harnser

I think that you only need to be concerned with the rifle that you are shooting . It doesn't matter if a certain brand shoots better or worse through somebody else's gun as long as you can find a brand that shoots well through your gun . That's why I will always try different ammo through a new gun . The Remington sub sonics were shocking through my gun ,but I bet somebody will be able to say that they shoot well in their gun .

Harnser

Yes Harnser that was my point, close on 6 pages in Sporting Rifle saying Eley ammunition came out tops in a Anschutz barrel. Another test using a different make of barrel could come out totally different. I see Eley also have an advert saying their subs are best. To recap on your post, its what a particular barrel likes.

I got my CZ452 a couple of months ago, and the guy I bought it from said it likes CCI.

I have used CCI to good effect, but when I tried some Winchesters through it at 50 yards the groups were terrible.

I have just got back from the gunshop and swapped the remaining 100 Winchesters I had left for Eley.

I will give them a go and see how they compare to the CCI.

I guess its part of the fun trying to tighten your groups as much as possible,

Yes Harnser that was my point, close on 6 pages in Sporting Rifle saying Eley ammunition came out tops in a Anschutz barrel. Another test using a different make of barrel could come out totally different. I see Eley also have an advert saying their subs are best. To recap on your post, its what a particular barrel likes.

Well, there's two Anschutz barrels down here that say differently. Eley were good - very good - but having got fed up with the muck on them I switched but my oppo had a good few so stuck with them until he'd used them up and then switched to what I'd changed to after he'd tried them as he also found them superior - SK. I've not seen the article that Steve mentioned so don't know if they were included in the samples tried.