Beretta Optima AL391 Urike 12 bore

hoggysreels

Well l got the Beretta.

I'd pm'd a member off PW a few days ago. I rate his opinion and equally his ability with a shotgun. He cast a few doubts over selecting the Hatsan, though in fairness never bad mouthed them .. anyhow, you guy opinions are much appreciated indeed .. hope lve done the right thing lol ..

There is what looks like a 4mm aluminium rod, its about 10cm in length. Its fitted in a recess in the gun case .. lve not a clue as to what its for ???

Took it for a familarisation shoot "fun" ... only put 20 cartridges through it ... what a piece of kit !! ... l thought it likely to be good, but it really impressed me "and if you knew me, lm not exactly a person that goes over the top about anything" ... very impressed and pleased. I've been thinking on and off about getting a semi auto for a while. I'm no one that shoot many thousands of cartridges per year. Though l've a feeling l will be using more this year than previous years.

Got home and thought "better clean it" ..well l've cleaned it as best as l'm presently able to. Got to get my head round a few things first. And one of those things is to strip, clean and assemble correctly. Will try and get a manual for it off the internet. There is a push catch on the left side receiver and a small push in type catch button to the rear of the spring loaded flapper "for want of the correct description" .. anyhow l don't see this as a chore, learning about the semi auto, more an enjoyable experience .. well till l get a jam lol

Took it for a familarisation shoot "fun" ... only put 20 cartridges through it ... what a piece of kit !! ... l thought it likely to be good, but it really impressed me "and if you knew me, lm not exactly a person that goes over the top about anything" ... very impressed and pleased. I've been thinking on and off about getting a semi auto for a while. I'm no one that shoot many thousands of cartridges per year. Though l've a feeling l will be using more this year than previous years.

Got home and thought "better clean it" ..well l've cleaned it as best as l'm presently able to. Got to get my head round a few things first. And one of those things is to strip, clean and assemble correctly. Will try and get a manual for it off the internet. There is a push catch on the left side receiver and a small push in type catch button to the rear of the spring loaded flapper "for want of the correct description" .. anyhow l don't see this as a chore, learning about the semi auto, more an enjoyable experience .. well till l get a jam lol

The push catch is the magazine cut off , press it in and when you manually cycle the bolt it ejects the cartridge that is in the chamber without loading another out of the magazine , very handy if you need to switch a cartridge quickly .

The small button in front of and underneath the trigger when pressed will lock the bolt back when you open it.

The button on the side which you press to close the bolt can also be used to empty the magazine , slightly press the cartridge in the magazine upwards and press the button at the same time and it will come out , repeat for second cartridge.

There is some very good informative video clips on youtube explaining all you will ever need to know about cleaning and maintaining your gun trust me i hhave watched them many times when i have been unsure about something

Yep; managed to watch an informative video on youtube. Helped me strip/clean/lube and reassemble. Also managed toget a manual as a pfd.

Decided on selecting a half choke ( 3 x cut outs on the choke tube ) l'd picked up a few boxes of steel when l bought the gun. Reading the manual, it suggested a half choke with steel cartridges gives good patterning. Will see!

Its a 26" barrel version .. l'm not tall and it seems a comfy fit and fairly easy to get onto the target. In fairness lve only used a few cartridges , though l intend on having a session out, hopefully tomorrow .. made up l chose the right SA. It was more luck than judgement on my part ..

This article http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=101242explains how to maintain a 391.

Cheers Mate ..

Can a UK issued Beretta Semi Auto be dated by serial number ? ... only reason l've mentioned 2005 is because inside the gun case was a piece of literature and on it was 2005. Im not sure as to the year of the gun .. atb

Edited by hoggysreels