sons 2nd outing

wisdom

A couple of weeks ago my youngest son (17) expressed an interest in going shooting.My guns had been idle for over 3 years so I thought why dont we go and shoot some clays.

The offer was put to him and he jumped at the chance.A couple of weeks ago we went t Blackpool sporting clays.I used to shoot there years ago and as ever we received a warm welcome.He started with my old webley and scott single barrel and he hit a few.Went through a box of 25 and was really keen.Safety was drummed home and he followed everything to the letter. Today we went again and he used my over and under.Hit a few again including the odd pair. He was looking at getting a skeet vest todayand is really bitten by the bug which I am really pleased about. It has rekindled my interest too.

when we got home I showed him how to clean the guns and he cleaned the one he used thoroughly.Its going to be a regular thing now and I am really pleased that he has taken to it.Also it gives me a shooting partner.

just thought id share it with you.

Lovely story, and it's lovely to re-kindle your enthusiasm for shooting too.

From a son's perspective:

I grew up not really spending much time with my dad as he worked in the city and was gone from home before 6:30am and home after 9pm nearly every weekday and on a weekend he was busy catching up with things.

It was only after me having kids and him being a Grandad that he really started to sort things out, less work and more time at home with our kids, and then I proposed we did some clays and have got him into it.
We have done a few rounds together now and this is great father and son bonding time in my opinion. This is a way of spending some quality time together but doing something fun and where you can add banter and help each other - we ALWAYS end up going to the pub after to talk about the shooting and laugh at the misses and the hits etc... in fact, here was my thread on it.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/304367-a-proud-moment-the-other-way-around/

It sounds like your son will be really into it, and I hope that you have many more rounds together.

I take my 11 year old step daughter out with me now, rabbit shooting, and our relationship has gotten much stronger since we do this important 1 on 1 time.

Out stand I cant wait until my son is old enough to shoot with me.

How old is your son now? Got long to wait?

Great read - a bit of father/son bonding is always good, and if it gets you a keen shooting buddy, even better :)

Doing some informal clays next week with No 1 son (same age as your lad), to get his eye in again ready for some outings on the bunnies.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

I'm glad he's interested in the clays. And even better is that he can clean the guns too!! We shoot Blackpool a lot so you might see me and the wife.

Our son also comes with us on almost every outing but as he's only 20months old he tends to sit in his pram with his ear defenders on!

He does say "pull" now and again though when he sees the guns! :)

My son is just coming up to his first birthday so has a good while to wait yet, but soon as I found out it was a boy the first things that came into my head where shooting and playing all sorts of games together.

What do you think is a decent age for a young one to start learning gun safety and shooting.