A Day of ups....and a down.

Scully

Went to pick up a few guns and trade in others today at Malmo and have been looking forward to this day for ages.

Had put a deposit down a couple of months ago on an older model Perazzi I have been looking for for some time, but couldn't pick it up due to a lack of cabinet space as one of the guns I was to collect is for a mate but he still hasn't received his new tickets which means he can't have it, but as anyone will know, waiting for a new gun is like torture, and today I'd had enough so went down anyway.

I was to pick up a mates Grand European and a Smith & Wesson pump for me, both of which I had some work done on, and the gun of my dreams, a Perazzi MX4C, and had taken down a Winchester Model 12, a Mossberg 500 and my Tikka T3 Varmint which I belatedly and reluctantly decided was going also, so removed 'scope and mounts accordingly.

Anyhow, borescope down my T3 barrel revealed it is corroded in the last 6 inches towards the muzzle which was like a kick in the teeth to be honest; as Alex said, the rest of the rifle was immaculate. Couldn't understand it at all; I have never stored it with the mod' on after firing and it has never even been slipped after use without removing the mod', has been well looked after and groups like a thingy with a PHD in groupiness, so have no idea what's gone on there. It may have been like that when I bought it, but without the benefit of a borescope I'd never know. So that was that, the T3 was coming home with me.

I have no doubt I could probably sell it to an unsuspecting RFD or privately, but now I know what the barrel is like could I sleep well at night? Nope, unfortunately not. I'll keep on using it 'til it starts to pattern like a skeet gun then have it rebarrelled.

While I was doing a deal re' the other guns and making myself a coffee, another bloke came in wanting to trade in his CZ, and I'm afraid it was the same story for him after the borescope went down it, despite him claiming it was a very accurate rifle. He took it with the same good grace I did; no choice really; you can't expect a dealer to buy a gun that may damage their reputation.

Anyhow, Brian and me took the Winchester and Perazzi outside for a bit play, I bought some cartridges for the forthcoming season, and came home.

Well chuffed with the Perazzi, though I don't understand the choke system and will probably buy a couple from Teague.

Malmo are great people to deal with and Brian told me at the CLA when I bumped into him, that he'd possibly priced the Perazzi a bit on the high side after I told him I'd seen the same model for sale at another dealers, but for quite a bit less, so contacted him to discuss it, and sure enough, dropped the price significantly. Great service and a great shop; would recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Scully

Enjoy your Perazzi Scully,looks a very nice gun.

Thankyou. Was a tad sad to let the Model 12 go but Brian has added it to his collection of Winchesters so it's gone to a good home.

lovely looking gun mate! I've bought my last two guns from there and will be buying my next from there also whenever that may be :) superb shop!

And many thanks to you also. Yes, it is a superb shop, and the little 'gun cave' through the back is simply eye wateringly fascinating. Have spent many an hour in there; you have to, otherwise you'll miss something. :)

I always use Malmo these days...

I never trade in guns anymore I sell privately as I took a T3 in 223 that had fired 27 shots in total to a gun shop and they said the barrel was worn out... It was a brand new gun out of the box and 27 rounds in total fired!!!!! So I don't even bother these days with that...but a big thumbs up for Malmo..

Nice gun scully is it a dedicated clay gun or for all your shooting

Thankyou. It is a dedicated Sporter with an adjustable comb, but I don't shoot a lot of clays nowadays so it will be used just as my others are; for a bit of everything really. Not sure if I'd like to trail it right round our rough shoot as even with no middle rib it's still a good heavy Sporter, but it will certainly get used on syndicate days, in a hide and the occasional trip to Crabtree shooting ground, and of course bolting bunnies when the weather gets cooler. :yes:

Do you full scrub the T3 out after each outing?

Or what's you clean programme.

I would like to say it gets a good clean after each outing and a final run through with an oiled swatch, but obviously not as good as I'd thought. Either that or I've omitted to clean it altogether. I'm wondering if condensation has formed from taking it into a warm house from a cold evening and for some reason I've put it away and forgotten to clean it, or thought I had.

It's just in the last 6 inches apparently, exactly where you would expect condensation to form within heat retained by the mod, but it has never even been sleeved with the mod' on, never mind stored like that.

Mate has a Sako 75 which is donkies years old. He has had it from new, it is never cleaned and is stored in a draughty old farmhouse with the T8 on, which vents spectacularly when fired at night. He has shot more foxes with it than I've had hot dinners (Fellsheep farmer) and it is pinpoint accurate with weights from 55 to 85, without change of zero. He laughed when I told him about mine, which is only around 5 years old, having been owned by me for 4, and said in that case he certainly wouldn't be putting a borescope down his.

I suppose the moral of the story is, either don't buy a secondhand rifle without the benefit of a borescope; don't try and sell your rifle to anyone WITH a borescope, or make sure you buy new and clean it religiously after use. Oh, and buy a borescope, just to make sure.

Will put picatinny rails back on, rings and 'scope, and just use it 'til it lets go and then rebarrel it. It's still a good gun, just worth **** all. :yes: