A trip to Rules restaurant in London

Mentalmac

Hi All,

A while back I put a thread up about the Jugged Hare restaurant in London and how I thought it was good to see a game orientated restaurant etc... (Thread below)

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/305470-jugged-hare-london/

Many people from here recommended Rules of London as well, so I finally found some time to take some colleagues to here to eat yesterday in the hope of finding us a grouse to eat. And we weren't disappointed. So I thought I'd share the experience in case anyone on here hasn't heard of Rules restaurant in London and would like to go, it's worth a visit.

I must say if anybody does want to go to a game serving restaurant in London, then this is a good one to visit - however, to me I would say I couldn't pick one above the other with the Jugged Hare or Rules, both were equally good to me - really nice food and place to be, the concierge on the door was great too, knew some great local pubs to visit, including one which is down a small alley just opposite which has some good beers and is a really cool old school building.

We ended up having London Pride served in silver tankards, which was a bit of fun and incidentally appears to make it taste nicer (completely in my mind no doubt!)

I ended up having spiced quail for starters, Grouse with game chips and vegetables, and the Stilton for desert - a really nice meal and I didn't want to eat for a time after!

And if I can recommend one thing, it has to be the Cropwell Bishop Stilton, which was amazing and is spooned onto a plate from a large pot and a good selection of biscuits etc...

I was talking with the staff after (about an idea we have work wise which will involve them) and I think I shall return later in the year to see the rest of the menu when the season is in full flow. All the game comes from their estate (The Larrington Estate).

Grouse (there is two in here as my colleague also had the same as me)

5CA91F26-4E55-451D-AAF7-DF5D7FF9DFEC-298

The Stilton I was going on about:

9AB9E3FD-2E6F-4472-B864-9BFC2463772A-298

So, get yourselves down there for a nice meal out!

That Stilton looks wonderful.

It was absolutely delicious :-). I was a real fatty and ate it all haha

Is it two for a tenner ?

haha, I wish it was!

+1 Rules is my favourite London restaurant - used to work just round the corner on the Strand. Ideally located near Covent garden.

Oh yes, and Purdeys is only a few mins away for a good oogle at what I can't afford!

Guest rimotu66

Looks great but I can feel my gout starting just looking at the pictures :oops:

There prices do not seem to bad for a once in a while treat but £6.25 for a pint of Guinness :no:

Looks great but I can feel my gout starting just looking at the pictures :oops:

There prices do not seem to bad for a once in a while treat but £6.25 for a pint of Guinness :no:

lol some of the people in there looked like they had been before, a few times too many.

Oh yes, beer was expensive in there.

go to rules around christmas time and have their roast goose with all the trimmings.....awesome.

often serve teal/woodcock etc too........brilliant restaurant...although bill always seems lumpier than expected...could be the wine list which is v v good too......

It's the oldest restaurant in London and it's an old fashioned, silver service, fully tarted up maitre'd "et voila" experience - You're not dining in Wetherspoons!!!

How much was the grouse? Saw it at £36 in a restaurant yesterday

Did they direct you to the Lamb and Flag or the Harp? Both excellent pubs, with the Harp probably the better of the two

Guest rimotu66

It's the oldest restaurant in London and it's an old fashioned, silver service, fully tarted up maitre'd "et voila" experience - You're not dining in Wetherspoons!!!

Agreed and I think there food prices are ok for a treat once or twice a year for something special , but £6.25 for a pint is just a rip off. Each to there own though.

Edited by rimotu66

I love Rules! :)

Been a couple of times over the years for various celebrations and have always had fantastic food and service, plus its a proper old school restaurant. Definitely one of my favourites!

Last time I went I had a wood pigeon salad to start which had caremelized walnuts in it, divine!

go to rules around christmas time and have their roast goose with all the trimmings.....awesome.

often serve teal/woodcock etc too........brilliant restaurant...although bill always seems lumpier than expected...could be the wine list which is v v good too......

mmm the bill part is always the hardest haha.

But yes, Christmas there does sound good - will certainly investigate again for then :-).

Did they direct you to the Lamb and Flag or the Harp? Both excellent pubs, with the Harp probably the better of the two

Oh yes, the service is great - really helpful and knowledgable waiter we had, Welsh chap. Thought the beer in tankards was novel too.

It was £34 for the grouse meal, pretty close haha :-)

We went to the Nell just down the alley opposite for a quick one before our meal as we were early and then to the Harp after for a couple :-).

I love Rules! :)

Been a couple of times over the years for various celebrations and have always had fantastic food and service, plus its a proper old school restaurant. Definitely one of my favourites!

Last time I went I had a wood pigeon salad to start which had caremelized walnuts in it, divine!

Yea, love how old school it is - haven't been to one similar in a while - quite enjoyed the service.

I wonder how often they change their menu's :-)

It's been at least ten years since I last went to Rules. The jugged hare was very good indeed, but the tourists ruined the experience for me. We were sat next to a group of middle-aged Americans who were just the worst. :(

Perhaps I was unlucky.

LS

I can understand what you mean to be honest, the tables are fairly close set in the Jugged Hare - no tourists when I went, more suited city workers so guess I was lucky :-).

Have heard of the restaurant but never been. That Stilton looks fantastic! May have a look in next time I'm in London.

Oh yes, never had better Stilton than that - really pleasant. It's nice and a good experience - and good to support a game serving traditional restaurant. hopefully more and more will start adopting decent game dishes in the future.

£2 a brace for grouse at the moment at game dealers !