Corvid Shooting

Big Al

The corvids have been hitting this area pretty hard for a while. I took 42 here a couple of weeks ago. Others have been shooting it too. The result is some pretty streetwise corvids.

I had to set up a hide in a less than ideal position in order to remain hidden. The car was not parked in the usual spot. These are pretty clued-in corvids.

I have been shooting a Beretta 687 sporter most of the the summer. It has 2.75 inch chambers so I switched to my Brownings which have 3" steel proof as the duck season is just around the corner. The result was some pretty shabby shooting - especially to start with. It got better as I went on.

Anyway, that's the excuses over with. I shot 24 mixed corvids.

Some nice Shots there all the same Big Al. You where miles behind that bird at 320 but dont know how that crow didnt crumble at 350 as you looked bang on and the gun was swinging nicely.

Need to loosen up a bit Sir as the ducks will be going a bit faster than them Corvids..lol.

Out myself in the morning for a mixed day on Some stubble..expecting a decent bag..No gopro as yet so a photo will have to do.

Looking forward to some of your Fowling footage later on.

SG

Some nice Shots there all the same Big Al. You where miles behind that bird at 320 but dont know how that crow didnt crumble at 350 as you looked bang on and the gun was swinging nicely.

Need to loosen up a bit Sir as the ducks will be going a bit faster than them Corvids..lol.

Out myself in the morning for a mixed day on Some stubble..expecting a decent bag..No gopro as yet so a photo will have to do.

Looking forward to some of your Fowling footage later on.

SG

Cheers SG.

I actually prefer a fast moving target! Less time to think, more instinctive. And I was seriously over thinking the corvids.

I hope to get a go-pro someday too. The chilli sport cam will do in the meantime.

Have a good season Sir!

Edited by Big Al

Cheers SG.

I actually prefer a fast moving target! Less time to think, more instinctive. And I was seriously over thinking the corvids.

I hope to get a go-pro someday too. The chilli sport cam will do in the meantime.

Have a good season Sir!

Yeah' I think most of us would shoot better at fast moving targets as you say more instinctive and natural' Move,Mount ,shoot is the way for most of us.!

Going for a look at a gopro tomorrow around my Wife's price range' A gopro hero 3' .

Have a good one yourself and look forward to more of your Vids

Atb SG

Good video al. I've actually got an invite to lough neagh in the morning, so looking forward to that. Keep the videos coming!!!

Thanks. Have a good one on the lough. I won't get down til evening flight.

Not to shabby some good shooting there well done and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for that.

I think the crows get wise through the season. If i look at my kill rates they rise to july when the young are out and then drop off after that as the birds get wise. Some places i don't shoot often so the birds should not be so wary but they are the same as other places shot more often.

Good video thanks for taking the time to make it. Shooting for most of us comes and goes like the birds me thinks :) .

Currently i am struggling with the ones that fly away low to the ground.

I think the crows get wise through the season. If i look at my kill rates they rise to july when the young are out and then drop off after that as the birds get wise. Some places i don't shoot often so the birds should not be so wary but they are the same as other places shot more often.

Good video thanks for taking the time to make it. Shooting for most of us comes and goes like the birds me thinks :) .

Currently i am struggling with the ones that fly away low to the ground.

Thanks for the reply. You are right -form comes and goes. Changing guns certainly doesn't help either!

If you're looking for a good sports cam in the "GoPro" type, take a look at the SJ4000

All the GoPro mountings fit it, and they can be got for around £20-£25.00 posted off ebay.

The reports on them are VERY good.

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver, and have now ordered an SJ4000 as a back up and second view cam.

Check the comparisons out on YouTube, for the money you can't go wrong

Main thing is though you were out.

Had to take my dog to the vets for an op today, and when I got back was chucking it down with rain, so no shooting today,maybe tomorrow

Edited by Redditch

That was a good video with some excellent shooting.

I found myself expecting birds to come over the tree most of the time and even had the safety catch off ready. :)

Thanks. They were swirling around a fair bit. It was hard to know which to face. Some of the "cut" footage could make you seasick!

If you're looking for a good sports cam in the "GoPro" type, take a look at the SJ4000

All the GoPro mountings fit it, and they can be got for around £20-£25.00 posted off ebay.

The reports on them are VERY good.

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver, and have now ordered an SJ4000 as a back up and second view cam.

Check the comparisons out on YouTube, for the money you can't go wrong

Main thing is though you were out.

Had to take my dog to the vets for an op today, and when I got back was chucking it down with rain, so no shooting today,maybe tomorrow

Thanks for the tip. I will look into that. Hope your dog is ok. I might try an evening flight to open the season ...

Thanks. Have a good one on the lough. I won't get down til evening flight.

Thanks for that.

Had a great morning on the lough, was my first time on it so it was a good experience. Didn't get a massive bag, 5 mallard, 3 tufties & 3 others between 3 of us but good to be out.

Thanks. They were swirling around a fair bit. It was hard to know which to face. Some of the "cut" footage could make you seasick!

Thanks for the tip. I will look into that. Hope your dog is ok. I might try an evening flight to open the season ...

Cheers, operation went okay, now back home. She had a lump on her tit, appears to be a fatty lump, but felt more fluidly. Anyway the vets have it in for a biopsy, so awaiting the results on that.

Wish this rain would go away LOL, need to be at the corvids as got some cut barley and wheat fields.

The ducks I won't be at till maybe the end of the month. Need a good tide, and it needs to be colder for my area

Edited by Redditch

Had a great morning on the lough, was my first time on it so it was a good experience. Didn't get a massive bag, 5 mallard, 3 tufties & 3 others between 3 of us but good to be out.

That's a pretty decent start.

I didn't get much action but I did manage a mallard drake to open the season. I am very pleased with that. It was the only chance of the flight so hopefully my shooting is on the up too!

The SJ4000 is an excellent camera. I haven't used mine while out shooting yet, but have tried it elsewhere to test the video footage. Well worth the low retail price. :good:

Amazon is about £65 . It looks like a great out fit and could be the way to go. I have a birthday coming up next month .....