First day this season on the grouse..

Archie-fox

Afternoon all

First day of the season on my moor for the grouse, so I met scoloplex (Richard) at 9:30am for a walk round to see if we could bag any grouse...

It was a nice sunny morning and reports were that it would be a poor season for grouse but the moor looks like it's held up well, I think we must have seen 40 or so, some small ones but also some really good ones Richard had his wire hair visla along to see how he performed on the moor, well he wasn't disappointed as the dog did really well flushing and retrieving I'll let Richard do a rite up on the day but here is a few pics..

4A1CC355-1AAB-45F0-AC58-B091AC028B16_zps

30973CE2-FF20-4733-8832-BB19AE71D527_zps

3577B085-7BA0-4720-9E02-46031E059C30_zps

Ended they day with 3 in the bag so not too bad..

Rich.

Edited by Archie-fox

Well what a day! An absolutely fantastic experience that far exceeded my expectations. My only communication with Archie fox was via PM, and I had for some reason imagined that the day would consist of walking miles across bleak Pennine top white grass sheep walk hoping to bump into an occasional grouse. And that would have been absolutely fine if that had been the case, as all I hoped for was a shot a grouse and the chance to work the dog.

Well we certainly walked for miles, and it was Pennine top, but it was beautiful heather moor with plenty of red grouse and far from bleak. We had our first shots within a few minutes of starting, but the first few grouse we encountered either rose on the edge of range or well out of range. Both of us had unsuccessful shots and my dog was a bit subdued, I do not think he really knew what he was looking for, and was not working as hard as I had hoped. After half an hour or so and our first tea break a single grouse flushed that bit nearer, and I got a shot at about 35 yards which dropped it into the heather, crashing through a sheep wire fence in the process. The dog found it quickly and picked a lively bird and I had my first ever red grouse safely in the bag!

After that my dog Otto was far more tuned in, quartering further, winding grouse and going on point when the grouse held steady. More grouse were shot at and missed before a single flushed at twenty yards and flew to my right presenting a classic crossing shot to be dropped stone dead into a clump of heather. It was amazing how well they are camouflaged as neither of us could see it even though we had marked exactly where it had fell and it took Otto,s nose to pin point it deep within the patch of tall heather.

Another clean kill of a bird breaking to my left on the walk back topped off the outing, although it was only afterwards I realised it had been a perfect chance of a left and right as two had flushed, if I had only remembered to fire the second barrel at the right hand bird! We arrived back at out initial starting point and had another tea break, took a few more photos and I took the time to soak it all in, 1 very happy gun and his dog walked off that moor! Thanks again to the very generous Archie Fox for giving us this opportunity.

I would post some more photos from the day but the file size is too big from my iPad?

Edited by scolopax

• 4 months later...

Looks like saddlesworth had some good days on there many years ago half walking half standing . We also had to shoot mountain hares as they eat heather.At the end of the day you were ready for bed. Dipper

could i have any more details at this place? im after rabbits hares etc and need to know who to contact, cheers