Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi I have just read this whole thread. That is some impeccable workmanship. Thanks for the time to go through it with us all

cheers for that....glad you enjoyed it...........the engine that you saw is very similar to the engine that VIKING will put back in his landy....so you can watch the 2 being put together... :good:

im waiting for my mate to come back from holiday as he has a compression tester set.........so im not going to put the injectors back in till ive done the compression test and posted that....also i need to buy a oil pressure gauge.....so you will have to "hang around" VIKING for the moment to get your daily fix... :good::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

thats what i think when im wondering around with a fag in my mouth, had enough accidents in the garage without burning it down, might switch to derv then as when i got bonnie she had a full tank that iv emptied in to a drum :good:

parafeen is good for cleaning.........but if you clean bare metal it will go rusty after a while....so using desiel is better.....

Ditchman i've just spent a very entertaining evening reading this thread, you really are a craftsman. I used to run a H reg 110 HiCap pickup for work and we also had 2 ex mod landys knocking about, they were looked after by a man known to me as 'Big Jim' who was the man on Bisley camp when it came to all things mechanical, but I bet you could teach him a thing or two. Anyway, I look forward to the next installment. Keep up the good work.

P.S. as you like mowers, I have a Hayter Hayterette with the 4.5hp briggs and stratton engine on it that you are welcome to. It is in several bits, I just want it out of the shed to be honest. I'm fed up tinkering with it and buying spares and it still not working! I like engines but i'm not in your league!

All the best

Adam.

cheers for that adam..............not doing anything at the moment as the shed is sooo damn cold...and i get cold very quickly...so as soon as it warms up a bit i will be back on the case......i will have to say no to the mower at the moment as the shed is full up with mowers waiting to be collected by various mates.............keep watching and i will finish the enjine off asap................you will have to watch VIKINGS thread to keep your hand in........(he has a space heater in his shed)

cheers

ditch

Come on folks,

Everyone chip in for some gloves, hat and set of thermals....!

cheers for that adam..............not doing anything at the moment as the shed is sooo damn cold...and i get cold very quickly...so as soon as it warms up a bit i will be back on the case......i will have to say no to the mower at the moment as the shed is full up with mowers waiting to be collected by various mates.............keep watching and i will finish the enjine off asap................you will have to watch VIKINGS thread to keep your hand in........(he has a space heater in his shed)

cheers

ditch

cheers

ditch

"Fuelled" by this thread I've just acquired a non runner Ransomes Marquis mower (engine as yet unknown) to attempt to do up.

But, as you said, not in his weather! Plus I'll be largely working outside.

that sounds interesting...i will have to google it to see what it is.....

just had a quick google....its been around for quite a while ...it could have a 3.5hp briggs and stratton or maybe a modern Honda....not much to go wrong...cog and chain drive...the bearings will be easily available....could be a nice little project

advice................dont bend down to mend it....put it on a bench or table....pics please when you start...............start the topic as "The Pigeonwatch Mower thread"....and i will add to it .. :good:

Edited by ditchman

that sounds interesting...i will have to google it to see what it is.....

just had a quick google....its been around for quite a while ...it could have a 3.5hp briggs and stratton or maybe a modern Honda....not much to go wrong...cog and chain drive...the bearings will be easily available....could be a nice little project

advice................dont bend down to mend it....put it on a bench or table....pics please when you start...............start the topic as "The Pigeonwatch Mower thread"....and i will add to it .. :good:

No, not a B&S or a Honda, I suspect it's British and about 40 years old. It's a four stroke and, interestingly(?), "lies back" at an angle of about 60º to the horizontal.

Agreed, it's going up on a bench or an old sturdy table, all I have to do is source one, free or cheap.

I will start or join in a new thread once I get going, that's it I'm off, sorry for derailing/hijacking.

might be a "Villers"...........if it has compession should be fine....the points will need doing so the flywheel will have to come off with a cheap set of pullers...

There's compression but no spark. The donor told me that, whilst kept in a garage, it hasn't run in about 20 years! Plus it leaks oil from the sump.

I'm guessing that a broom handle, an 18" crowbar and a pair of pliers are not the tools I'm looking for.....................

There's compression but no spark. The donor told me that, whilst kept in a garage, it hasn't run in about 20 years! Plus it leaks oil from the sump.

I'm guessing that a broom handle, an 18" crowbar and a pair of pliers are not the tools I'm looking for.....................

Oh, if it's a Villiers, that's all you need, or possibly a Meccano set spanner too.

Possibly not Villiers if it's a fourstroke though

JAP did a four stroke, it could be that

your biggest weak spot on any 1950's machine or earlier is the magneto, you either are lucky and have one that works or one that requires being rebuilt by a bloke somewhere that charges £2000 per hour and takes a week to mend a single mangeto

the engine and gear box are easier to have problems with

JAP did a four stroke, it could be that

your biggest weak spot on any 1950's machine or earlier is the magneto, you either are lucky and have one that works or one that requires being rebuilt by a bloke somewhere that charges £2000 per hour and takes a week to mend a single mangeto

the engine and gear box are easier to have problems with

you are certainly right about the biggest problem being the mag on an engine of that age.........sometimes the problem is the flywheel needs to be re-energised....but that can be done with the plug out and using an electric drill for a few mins......