Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

You do yourself a disservice ditchman. You are a clever man when it comes to engines! :good:

It's a cracking refreshing thread! And while I'm here, you lost me with, "matching journal caps". What are they, and what's there purpose?

when i start to put it back together i will explain all......regards "journal caps".........your crankshaft sits in the block...ok ? it is held in postion by bearing/shells/caps............im trying to give you the most simplistic name discription....which is not always correct

when they cast the block...it needs to be machined .....the caps will be machined as well, which form the other half of the bearings....they will be machined "oversize....so then they will be bolted onto the other half of the journal (where the crank sits...in this engine 5 journals/bearings).......then a reamer (like an adjustable drill) will drill out all the journals in one go....this is called "line boring"....everything is bored in line in one go.........

these caps will be marked 1-5....and must ALWAYS be returned to the same position....as they are now "matched to the bottom half".......................... :good:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw the picture of your "honer/glaze buster". I thought it would be some industrial machine! I presume the "buster" is attached to a drill of some type?

thats right...............the big industrial ones are used for "boring out plenty of meat accuratly".......this is a glaze breaker or glaze buster....it is strightly not a honer but to some extent does the same thing....

when i start to put it back together i will explain all......regards "journal caps".........your crankshaft sits in the block...ok ? it is held in postion by bearing/shells/caps............im trying to give you the most simplistic name discription....which is not always correct

when they cast the block...it needs to be machined .....the caps will be machined as well, which form the other half of the bearings....they will be machined "oversize....so then they will be bolted onto the other half of the journal (where the crank sits...in this engine 5 journals/bearings).......then a reamer (like an adjustable drill) will drill out all the journals in one go....this is called "line boring"....everything is bored in line in one go.........

these caps will be marked 1-5....and must ALWAYS be returned to the same position....as they are now "matched to the bottom half".......................... :good:

I'm with you now. Just about.... :lol: Keep the pictures and updates coming. It's a great thread! :good:

thats right...............the big industrial ones are used for "boring out plenty of meat accuratly".......this is a glaze breaker or glaze buster....it is strightly not a honer but to some extent does the same thing....

That's cleared that one up for me to! Cheers ditchman! :)

Actually not so different, it still goes suck, squeeze, bang, blow :good: Slightly different shape though I will admit, and the Landy engine will be just a tad heavier to move around :rolleyes:

I was actually going to say that they are the same in so far as suck, squeeze, bang, blow but thought this thread had enough innuendo earlier from naughty Ditchman.

Very different shape and very much lighter although maybe not quite as light as a bag of sugar :)

thought i would add this pic as it shows a strange "nock or keyway" cut into the flywheel............it is "timing lock"..............when you time the engine...you generally start off by "locking" the engine into a postion called Top Dead Centre....TDC.....to do this you screw in a bolt which has a spring loaded plunger...into the flywheel casing...gently turn the engine until it SNAPS into this keyway....then the engine is at TDC....piston #1 is at its greatest height before it starts to descend....then you work out the relevant postions for all the other cogwheels...according to the specs of the engine........

Bear in mind that notch is actually the ep (exhaust peak) of cylinder 1. If you time the engine to tdc, it will lock up. The Haynes manual uses the wrong terminology but as long as you use that notch to time it, that's ok.

This doesnt matter unless you have the engine apart, decide the fly wheel is wrong, use a dial gauge and degree wheel to scribe the flywheel then try to time it and find the engine locks up. Like, erm, my friend did.

went to the dentist today.............jaw infected....feel really down.....antibiotics...for 7 days..then back to dentist....teeth out....then back again for false ones ..........

......i will clean them with "cilit bang"............so i will look like the blokes on the telly..........

god i hate been ill........ :unhappy:

What, no pictures of your teeth?

the teeth that are giving me the problem are fine...no cracks or fillings...its just in the last year when i bite down on something hard'ish...it sets off my jaw and then an infection ...result bloody toothache....so im fed up with this happening.....and the dentist is going to take them out ...let the gum settle down and then fit me for a bridge....and proberly take out a couple of front ones that have been broken over the years and mended...................

i tell you now i have had allsorts of horrific injuries over the years, and i still think that toothache in all its various forms is the worst..........

so the only pics of teeth you will see are the ones on gear cogs...!

i tell you now i have had allsorts of horrific injuries over the years, and i still think that toothache in all its various forms is the worst..........

Toothache and earache are definitely up there as the worst sort of pain, especially toothache in the molars. Anything that causes the trigeminal nerve to jangle. That is the main nerve that runs up the side of your jaw/face/ear and is known as the "suicide nerve" as the pain is so pervasive that very many people have despatched themselves to escape from it.

On a less gloomy subject will be interested to see how the journals are when you split them, hopefully all nice and straight and no dishing or barreling.

A V8 block as a table base is common and a crankshaft as a table lamp could make you a few quid, people would pay good money for that sort of engine based furniture. Would be a ****** to feed the cable through.

all the bearing surfaces look good, nice to strip things down and not have to open the wallet again.

yeah............im getting close to assembling it now...........just got to remove the camshaft and the drive for the vacumn pump and oilpump..........the seals on the drive have carbonised so they need to be replaced..........but it looks like we might be allright (for a bit now)..............