Is a DSC needed

30-06hunter

Hello Everyone.

Ive been Hunting White Tail Deer in Canada annually for the past 5/6 years.

So not exactly new to the concept.. but I'm thinking of doing it here at home too.

my question is, do i have to take and pass the DSC's or is that just to get people who have never shot at a deer before

up to speed with how things are done.

If i book myself onto a Stalk will they ask for a DSC?

Many thanks

It shouldn't be but has come in through the back door. Dsc1 is generally required to stalk alone on pay for the day stalking and level2 for most fc and the like leases

I don't think this is how it should be because level 1 is only an introduction and proves very little and certainly cannot rate against a man who has been at it for years and done a good job

We have our shooting organisation to thank for this non legislation as they make a lot of income from it all

Btw I hold both one and two and past my level 2 about 15 yrs back

Dunno if u have ur own FAC or borrow guns abroad but some police forces are now asking for it to get a deer legal calibre for first time.

Like everyone has said if ur only doing guided stalking no need, or even if u manage to get some ground direct of a farmer, BUT more and more land agents,forestry companies, estates and syndicattes are insisting on dsc1 as an absolute min and more and more are now wanting dsc2 sometimes along with first aid (FC)

Like kent said above it has sneaked in and genie is now well and truely out the bottle and u need tickets for everything, it will become more and more needed so if ur youngish it probably would be worth doing it

It is quite a good course and u will learn stuff about deer even if u have stalked for years (possibly about safety??) but it is only a course covering the basics and does not turn u into a master stalker like some seem to think.

Not a great believer in courses but it probablty is quite a good thing esp as more and more people seen to be coming into shooting/stalking that haven't been brought up with it so anything that gives u a basic gun safty must be a positive..

Dunno if u have ur own FAC or borrow guns abroad but some police forces are now asking for it to get a deer legal calibre for first time.

Like everyone has said if ur only doing guided stalking no need, or even if u manage to get some ground direct of a farmer, BUT more and more land agents,forestry companies, estates and syndicattes are insisting on dsc1 as an absolute min and more and more are now wanting dsc2 sometimes along with first aid (FC)

Like kent said above it has sneaked in and genie is now well and truely out the bottle and u need tickets for everything, it will become more and more needed so if ur youngish it probably would be worth doing it

It is quite a good course and u will learn stuff about deer even if u have stalked for years (possibly about safety??) but it is only a course covering the basics and does not turn u into a master stalker like some seem to think.

Not a great believer in courses but it probablty is quite a good thing esp as more and more people seen to be coming into shooting/stalking that haven't been brought up with it so anything that gives u a basic gun safty must be a positive..

Hi i have my FAC which amongst others include 243 and 30-06 for which i use in Canada. but are open, not restricted to Canada for example.

I guess taking a DSC wouldn't hurt in this case and would probably open a few more areas to me. if not at least let me meet a few like minded people in the area.

Thanks for the info Guys.

If anyone is thinking of going to Canada for a hunt, then feel free to ask me about the permits and outdoors card etc.

Edited by 30-06hunter

Hi i have my FAC which amongst others include 243 and 30-06 for which i use in Canada. but are open, not restricted to Canada for example.

I guess taking a DSC wouldn't hurt in this case and would probably open a few more areas to me. if not at least let me meet a few like minded people in the area.

Thanks for the info Guys.

If anyone is thinking of going to Canada for a hunt, then feel free to ask me about the permits and outdoors card etc.

Where abouts in Canada do you hunt buddy?

yes a bit cold.. last hunt it was -10 one day. but the deer move a lot to keep warm and with the snow its a good days tracking.

A buddy of mine i hunt with lives in Guelph thats not far from hamilton, but we drive about 8 hours north to the hunt.

Sounds fabulous. I have relatives in Canada now....maybe one day.

you should get yourself over there.. total different way of thinking about hunting over there. and the shops ! i usually come back with all new gear at half the price you get it in the UK and better quality.

and flying with a rifle is pretty straight forward.

this is a usual Haul for a week.

Don't the bears think this is their birthday party if they find this haul? :lol:

you should get yourself over there.. total different way of thinking about hunting over there. and the shops ! i usually come back with all new gear at half the price you get it in the UK and better quality.

and flying with a rifle is pretty straight forward.

this is a usual Haul for a week.

Impressive. Any more pic's of the countryside?