Steel/Lead cartridges comparison.

Ned s , now there is a guy that cracks me up , I was only reading the other day about his loads .

How about these.

I use 1 oz of steel 4's in a 3 inch Cheddite hull at 1864 fps and 1964 fps in my 935 with a Terror choke. At 3500 ft where I hunt this load will penetrate to kill to 65 yds. Like others I also will shoot them immediately with 7/8 oz of 4's at 1764 fps or 1 oz of 3's at 1650 fps. The 4's will kill to 58 yds and the 3's to 62 yds. Ned

1500 fps is the best speed that i have found for steel loads. although 28 gram in a 3" doing 1800 fps would"t mind testing it out lol

1500 fps is the best speed that i have found for steel loads. although 28 gram in a 3" doing 1800 fps would"t mind testing it out lol

1800 is what the new remington hypersonics are suppose to be doing , but all I seem to read about is smashed up guns.

I think anything from 1400-1500 is more than ample in steel , a good few factory loads are nowhere near that and still do the job.

1800 is what the new remington hypersonics are suppose to be doing , but all I seem to read about is smashed up guns.

I think anything from 1400-1500 is more than ample in steel , a good few factory loads are nowhere near that and still do the job.

37 gram of #B or #BB is devastating on the geese lol but i found it a little harsh on the pigeons thou it did drop them lol

Just my thoughts I think steel needs to be doing 1400 fps plus for shooting further than 35 yards. I have loaded steel to a claimed velocity of 1600 fps and patterns have always been good, would be interesting to see what you get at 1800 fps. Have not used buffered steel loads yet because patterns don't need it.

Just my thoughts I think steel needs to be doing 1400 fps plus for shooting further than 35 yards. I have loaded steel to a claimed velocity of 1600 fps and patterns have always been good, would be interesting to see what you get at 1800 fps. Have not used buffered steel loads yet because patterns don't need it.

Depends how far you want to shoot with big pellets.

Buffered BBB give me 60 to 70 % patterns at 60 yards. You can't do that with normal loads.

If you want to shoot fast steel , that's entirely up to you , but to me it's pointless and gives no benifits other than the buzz of shooting it.

It definitely doesn't need to be that fast.

Totally agree about the fast loads around 1500 is fine, and with bigger pellets speed is less important .I loaded some 1750 ft/sec loads and they kicked like a donkey , wasted a lot of powder ,had low shot count and was like a flame thrower in the dark lol

Edited by allanm

Totally agree about the fast loads around 1500 is fine, and with bigger pellets speed is less important .I loaded some 1750 ft/sec loads and they kicked like a donkey , wasted a lot of powder ,had low shot count and was like a flame thrower in the dark lol

Interesting to note that your 1750 fps loads opened up the pattern, my 1600 fps load has a good pattern. Lots of variables to consider but maybe a steel pattern is blown at 1750, could be my claimed 1600 is not anywhere near 1600 out of my gun. I just load to the data and assume I'm getting the claimed velocity, the loads work for me, I'm to far from the proof house to put them in for testing.