Steel/Lead cartridges comparison.

We have been asked the following;

"I currently use 12ga 30gm No6 shot lead cartridges for pigeon, I am considering moving to steel, please could you tell me what the comparative load for steel is.

I appreciate pigeons can be shot with lighter loads and smaller shot, but this is my preference".

30g steel 5 (2.8mm) would be eqivilent in power at 40 yards and would pattern 10% or so better (in reality closer to 6.5 lead).

Steel 4 are roughly same as lead no 5 and whilst fine for duck, pattern a bit sparsely for pigeon and carry a lot of excess energy for sub 40 yard shooting, though people do use them.

I tend to shoot open chokes and therefore prefer more pellets with adequate energy than fewer pellets with high energy.

If i could pick a load, it would probably be an ounce of no.5 steel. I have recently shot a number of pigeons with 32gm 4s. They kill extremely well. I have taken a fair few pigeons cleanly at well over 50 yards using them. The downside to these is that the recoil is a lot harsher than my usual ounce of lead 7s.

If i could pick a load, it would probably be an ounce of no.5 steel. I have recently shot a number of pigeons with 32gm 4s. They kill extremely well. I have taken a fair few pigeons cleanly at well over 50 yards using them. The downside to these is that the recoil is a lot harsher than my usual ounce of lead 7s.

I don't feel them in my big gun Motty , but they are very effective ,but a little hard to shoot with because they shoot fairly tightly.

What kind of pellet count do you get with 32 grams of #4s?

Guest cookoff013

It very much depends on what is meant by "comparative load" and whether or not the shooter wishes to have the same effective maximum range (energy) with steel as offered by lead.

What he said but with lashings of jam on top.

It's all about compromise but with an added insider information. Certainly 7/8oz can be used. 4s still give a good pellet count. And if push came to shove a 28g #4 would probably see 90% of shots getting the target.

Wymberly and I did a steel comparison chart. I think he and I came to the same conclusions.

For my money if a steel shotsize was to be selected then go up 3shotsizes for game 40yards at 1400fps MV. That's for an uncompromising switch.

For a decoy load then easily 24g 1400fps #4 would do. That combo sounds abutt right.

I'm actually about to test a few loads. These should pass. I have one HP load to be tested too.

What he said but with lashings of jam on top.

It's all about compromise but with an added insider information. Certainly 7/8oz can be used. 4s still give a good pellet count. And if push came to shove a 28g #4 would probably see 90% of shots getting the target.

Wymberly and I did a steel comparison chart. I think he and I came to the same conclusions.

For my money if a steel shotsize was to be selected then go up 3shotsizes for game 40yards at 1400fps MV. That's for an uncompromising switch.

For a decoy load then easily 24g 1400fps #4 would do. That combo sounds abutt right.

I'm actually about to test a few loads. These should pass. I have one HP load to be tested too.

If I were to use anything less than one ounce in steel , it would have to 3mm. 3.3mm will give low pellet counts.

Guest cookoff013

If I were to use anything less than one ounce in steel , it would have to 3mm. 3.3mm will give low pellet counts.

That's pellet count. Not pellet count on target.

Pattern some!

I have been using a certain 24 gram home load i have tried it with #3 #4 #5. and boy dose it kill well i shoot it throw a p/m code black duck as with every cartridge you have to be at the right end of the bird. I am currently using the same load with #3 for duck over the flight pond killed 10 ducks up to now NO divers and it worked with #5 on the pigeons bit settled on #4 just so i had that little more down range energy. It shoots and kills just as good as the 28 gram load that i was using

I don't need to pattern them , I have shot more patterns than Ned S the 82 year old reloader of sizzling steel shot or whatever he said.

Ned s , now there is a guy that cracks me up , I was only reading the other day about his loads .

How about these.

I use 1 oz of steel 4's in a 3 inch Cheddite hull at 1864 fps and 1964 fps in my 935 with a Terror choke. At 3500 ft where I hunt this load will penetrate to kill to 65 yds. Like others I also will shoot them immediately with 7/8 oz of 4's at 1764 fps or 1 oz of 3's at 1650 fps. The 4's will kill to 58 yds and the 3's to 62 yds. Ned

Ned s , now there is a guy that cracks me up , I was only reading the other day about his loads .

How about these.

I use 1 oz of steel 4's in a 3 inch Cheddite hull at 1864 fps and 1964 fps in my 935 with a Terror choke. At 3500 ft where I hunt this load will penetrate to kill to 65 yds. Like others I also will shoot them immediately with 7/8 oz of 4's at 1764 fps or 1 oz of 3's at 1650 fps. The 4's will kill to 58 yds and the 3's to 62 yds. Ned

Yep. And people believe you need to shoot steel like that. It's a load of squit and totally unnecessary.

I am very happy with the steel loads that i am shooting at the moment and cant see me changing any load maybe just the shot size. That little 24 gram of #3 dropped a Canada goose cleanly on its fourth flight around the pond and me knowing what i had in the gun was a bit reluctant but no it dropped dead at around 35 yards.