Browning medalist

14Supersport04

Ok, I'll play.

The ONLY reason I persist in labouring the point of the Medalists heritage is because I do not like seeing people being conned, and I'll keep labouring the point for as long as people call it a Browning and there are people out there parting with their hard earned in the belief they are buying into the Browning name.

There are still RFD's advertising Medalists as Brownings. Whether this is through deliberate deceit in an attempt to make a sale or whether through ignorance, I have no idea, but there is no escaping the fact the Medalist is NOT a Browning. The cynic in me suspects the 'Browning' Medalist will command a higher resale value than the FIAS Medalist.

DO NOT buy a Medalist in the belief you are buying a Browning; you aren't. It never has been a Browning. It is a FIAS Medalist; always was, and Browning have never had anything to do with the design, manufacture or sale of the gun whatsoever.

Some people seem to regard this fact as a slur on the Medalist, but as far as I'm aware there is nothing wrong with the gun whatsoever. They are popular and well made.

If you feel your Medalist has been devalued because of this fact then this is something you need to take up with the person who sold you it and advertised it as a Browning, and this was one of the factors which clinched the deal.

ok so why are real browning not list as miroku browning which they clearly are.

ok so why are real browning not list as miroku browning which they clearly are.

I have no idea; possibly marketing, or something to do with keeping funding for the two guns separate? I don't think Browning actually own Miroku, but rather license the company to manufacture non-Belgian made Brownings, but I could be wrong. It's a question you'd have to ask Browning.

The Winchester 101 was also made in Japan, through the Olin Corporation I think (as was the Indy Shadow and Classic Doubles) to more or less the same design, which was a Browning design. It was still a Winchester; designed, marketed and funded by Browning.

As I've already said, the same can't be said of Brownings input to the Medallist.

Thanks this also makes an interesting read all about the Miroku/browning relationship http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?id=511

Very interesting and thank you. I have just acquired a Browning Centennial 1878-1978 catalogue in which the Citori is shown. I do not recall the British models being as good looking as the ones shown especially the Grade V.

I have tried Googling Miroku and all I get is a cartoon character.

That page also provides a link to brochures from 2010 to 2014.

I now know why the Citori does not appear in the EU brochures....well it does but they have dropped the name, its the 525 and 725 models. Brochure 2012 depicts the NEW Citori 725.

Edited by B25Modelman

I think that In the US all Miroku guns are marketed by Browning under the Citori label as you see very few actual Miroku's advertised .

Browning has been a largely marketing company having their designed products manufactured by others since the days of JM Browning as though one of the Worlds leading gun designers he did not have the money or ability to set up the manufacturing base needed .

Medallists have never been marked up as "Browning " guns and were as previously stated marketed in the UK by the then Browning UK before it was taken over by Browning/FN as with Gunmark now GMK as a way of circumventing EU competition rules .

It was budget gun to complement a range of other products . When FN took over and set up BWM the Medallist question was problem as they did not want any thing to do with it and there were questions as to whether it would continue as part of Browning or stay as a separate entity run by the British BWM as I understand it now is .