DO NOT WATCH IF EASILY OFFENDED

thats some sharp shooting there tommy...............very impressive :yes:

:good: but.. A couple of those shots looked a little bit dangerous to me shooting over the crest of a bank. You know the area better than I do, but surely you can't be 100% certain that nobody is coming up from the other side :lol:

SS :lol:

i would appreciate it if anyone has stupid comments like this to email me first before posting on the open forum. i'm not a newby to the world of shooting as a lot of you will know

Whoa there, I only asked the question and you answered it mate. You know the land as I stated better than I do, but I live by the rule that if you can't be sure what's going to pop up behind/in front of/ over the top of where your shooting, then don't. I wasn't saying that you were dangerous, I said it looked dangerous to me.

I don't feel it was a stupid comment either. I queried Kip270 about a similar thing and he kindly posted pics to show me. If you don't ask you don't get, and I would have thought if you were a responsible Shooter (Which you seem you are) then you would be happy to prove it regardless. If I can see that footage and think that imagine what somebody who truely doesn't know might think.

I'll stand by what I said, Good Shooting BUT..............

End of debate.

SS :P

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

]

we wanted to get some decent footage so we sat on a hill 90-110 yds away from the gorse but could still see the other banking incase we got a long shot

the furthest shot i had was 364yds but the battery died and yes i hit it stone dead. the 278 yds=30-06 285=223

load = 27.5gn varget 55g vmax fed brass & primers= aprox 3,150fps through my 18.5"barrel

got rid of the wildcat mods using a-tec now much lighter field stripable aircraftgrade alli awesome :good:

That's great TT but are you dialing the scope in for those long shots or like myself just aiming higher (If I get the chance :lol: )once the distance is pinged .

Aircraft grade ali !...........good to see the wife's still treating you mate :yes:

I had some good results with 25grn Vargret & 50 grn Hornady V-Max but opted to go with 24.2 grn NI33 instead output 3500fps :lol:

ive

no i dont dial in the compesation i just hold over/under and allow for the wind etc depending on the range. ive a point blank range to 230yds (3"target) so no need to hold over till i get past that range

"Good music" i thought you would like it kip :good::good::wub:

my mate was coming with me this evening but had to cancel due to other commitments. we were to try and get a buck on film being shot.

as it was i went out myself but never seen any deer but managed a fox whilst woodland stalking. on the estate where we stalk we have to shoot all foxes on site no matter what time of the year. so i did. the rifle is unloaded and mag removed. pics look **** with the bolt open!!!

489281.JPGmy 6.5x55 another awesome tool

very accurate shooting tommy foxes round your way must be waving white flags if your hitting rabbits at them distances :good: Would your have to make many windage adjustments or bullet drop corrections at the further distances eg 278 yrds?Some of them shots would be fairly tricky without that rangefinder id say :good:

very accurate shooting tommy foxes round your way must be waving white flags if your hitting rabbits at them distances :good: Would your have to make many windage adjustments or bullet drop corrections at the further distances eg 278 yrds?Some of them shots would be fairly tricky without that rangefinder id say :good:

yes mate anything with a smaller than 3" target zone has to be compensated for after 230yds. in a 10mph wind the 55g bullet will drift 1" @100yds

the range finder is invaluble whilst out long range shooting its no good guestimating, you need to know the true distance

my longest shot to date is a rabbit @547yds with the 223

airgun bbs

now ive been banned for life for no reason

this is what it said when i went back on :good::good::wub:

You have been banned for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

this is the only shooting site that dosent want you to shoot nowt but paper targets!!!!!

Totally over the top reaction in my opinion. Overzealous moderating seems to be the norm over that way, and people complain about ours!

I moderate on a few forums and in this kind of instance, if the video was deemed unsuitable, you remove it and PM the person explaining why and what will happen if it happens again.

If they repeat or ignore then perhaps a short posting ban, any further repeats off you go.

To ban someone for this is quite absurd, however they have 10's of thousands of members so why would they care about just kicking someone to the kerb like this?

Their loss mate :good:

Whilst I can't see the video (at work but will at home tonight) and just read the comments from yourself and others about the distances the shots were taken at I hope less experienced shooters do not try shooting at these distances until they are competent with their combo as even CF rifles can just injure.

I have been a FAC holder for a number of years and I would not risk shots at that distance as I know I am not capable, I am not criticising you (jelous actually that you can do it) at all but just suggesting to others that no matter how good your comb is if your are not a good shot you can miss

I don't see the risk. He knows his land and each shot had an adequate backstop.

Any hit anywhere on a rabbit from either rifle is a dead rabbit.

1. I did not say he did not anywhere in my post

2. About the hit, I dont think so. Easy to take back leg or legs off and the rabbit get away.

Fair comment about risk, since I don't really see any I assumed you must have meant something else.

Either way I don't think comments like you made have a place in a thread like this. The lad is experienced, he's got top of the line kit and he can clearly shoot. Posting warnings to others here just kind of detracts from the post. You know you can't do it, so just leave it at that? No?

Or should we start replying to every picture and video with a warning not to do it if you are not capable? Smacks of common sense, does it not?

Whilst I can't see the video (at work but will at home tonight) and just read the comments from yourself and others about the distances the shots were taken at I hope less experienced shooters do not try shooting at these distances until they are competent with their combo as even CF rifles can just injure.

I have been a FAC holder for a number of years and I would not risk shots at that distance as I know I am not capable, I am not criticising you (jelous actually that you can do it) at all but just suggesting to others that no matter how good your comb is if your are not a good shot you can miss

i totaly agree with you on that one mate. it has taken me a long time and loads of practice to get to know my rifle and my capabillity's.

if people want to do this kind of shooting please make sure your cal is up to the job in hand and most of all that they are capable of the same

be safe if in doubt dont take the shot it will be there for another day :good:

markm you are capable if you practice practice practice

do what i did, set targets out at different ranges use a lrf to get the true distances. put these targets out to as far as possible thats safe to do so aim smack on at every target then you know how much to compensate at the different ranges. write the poi down then you will have it with you the next time you go out.

keep doing this untill you are confident to shoot live quarry, even then slowly increase your range untill you feel your at your limit. dont be tempted to go straight out on to live quary.

hope this all makes sence

very valid comment markm thanks. hope you enjoy the vid

tom

Fair comment about risk, since I don't really see any I assumed you must have meant something else.

Either way I don't think comments like you made have a place in a thread like this. The lad is experienced, he's got top of the line kit and he can clearly shoot. Posting warnings to others here just kind of detracts from the post. You know you can't do it, so just leave it at that? No?

Or should we start replying to every picture and video with a warning not to do it if you are not capable? Smacks of common sense, does it not?

Been wiriting this for the last hour as I keep getting disturbed.

Sorry but I don't see what you mean by "I assumed you must of meant something else" What then?:good:

All I was trying to say was just because you have quality gear don't mean you can shoot like a competent

shot, I am not taking way or detracting from the post, I was complimenting and admitting I could not do it as i am not capable.

I was suggesting to other who might think - "I can't wait till i get my......... and shoot at that range or like that. Common sense dictates all, you live on a different planet to me.

i totaly agree with you on that one mate. it has taken me a long time and loads of practice to get to know my rifle and my capabillity's.

if people want to do this kind of shooting please make sure your cal is up to the job in hand and most of all that they are capable of the same

be safe if in doubt dont take the shot it will be there for another day :good:

markm you are capable if you practice practice practice

do what i did, set targets out at different ranges use a lrf to get the true distances. put these targets out to as far as possible thats safe to do so aim smack on at every target then you know how much to compensate at the different ranges. write the poi down then you will have it with you the next time you go out.

keep doing this untill you are confident to shoot live quarry, even then slowly increase your range untill you feel your at your limit. dont be tempted to go straight out on to live quary.

hope this all makes sence

very valid comment markm thanks. hope you enjoy the vid

tom

Thanks for your kind words and I am really looking forward to watching the video tonight.

I have shot CF for a number of years and I am simply not capable for long range shooting, I will shoot foxes with .243 up to 100yrds and roe up to a maximum of 150yrds (estimated distances by counting steps out and has never been much past these). Whilst I put a quiet a few shots through the rifle in a year I am simply not capable unless on a proper bench. I do use a bipod but its not the same. My groupings are around 2 1/2 inches for 10 shots at 100 yds, take that out to 200+ yds and you are starting to get big groups, its not my gear (trust me its been proved) but me.

Opps sorry for half taking over your thread, pin no problem mate, no need to PM but do so if you wish, I do understand where you are coming from.

Do you think the moderator has improved your shooting?

yes mod's do improve your shooting in some cases it can improve BIG TIME

they reduce muzzle flip, recoil so there fore its bound to improve your shooting (if fitted right)

a lot of people can /do flinch when squeezing the trigger coz they know there is gonna be a loud bang. this is a very hard habit to get out of. the mod reduces this by a long way all you basically hear is the sound barrier crack. in this case it can improve some ones shooting BIG TIME

i personally wouldn't own a rifle that wasn't screw cut for a mod

but horses for courses if people are happy with how and what they shoot so be it. if it ain't broke dint fix it :good:

a 100yd group with the .223

the bold squares 1"

482871.jpg482872.jpg