Cuffley Area

Cosd

You'll be expounding the virtues of Hoddesdon next!!

Ah yes, the sparkling jewel in the anus of the A10 corridor, only bettered ever-so-slightly by the fantastic fried chicken, kebab and pizza mecca that is Cheshunt! 20 years ago Broxbourne was still quite pleasant really, and you could almost fool yourself that you were on the edge if the countryside if you cared to journey a little way into Brickendon and Bayford.

I make you right now though.

Ah yes, the sparkling jewel in the anus of the A10 corridor, only bettered ever-so-slightly by the fantastic fried chicken, kebab and pizza mecca that is Cheshunt! 20 years ago Broxbourne was still quite pleasant really, and you could almost fool yourself that you were on the edge if the countryside if you cared to journey a little way into Brickendon and Bayford.

I make you right now though.

i used to live in hackney as a lad and my dad used to take us to cambridgshire week ends in his morris 8 fishing on the grt ouse the route out of london was tottenham w/cross cheshunt turnford broxbourne hoddeston ware all on the old rd they were like villages then the A10 dual carriage wasnt built used to take 2 3/4 hours then. that hill outside wormely was a nightmare in the ice.

i used to live in hackney as a lad and my dad used to take us to cambridgshire week ends in his morris 8 fishing on the grt ouse the route out of london was tottenham w/cross cheshunt turnford broxbourne hoddeston ware all on the old rd they were like villages then the A10 dual carriage wasnt built used to take 2 3/4 hours then. that hill outside wormely was a nightmare in the ice.

Small world. When I first moved to London I lived in Clapton (or as I liked to think of it the cistern and flush to the toilet that is Hackney). I would imagine when you were a nipper it wasn't all that bad, certainly only a handful of people got shot/stabbed a year as opposed to the handful a week it seemed there was when I moved there! :lol:

I had relatives in Enfield and, as you say, remember the trip from Norwich down the old A10 to go and visit them. Even Enfield didn't seem too bad all those years ago.

Edited by mick miller

Small world. When I first moved to London I lived in Clapton (or as I liked to think of it the cistern and flush to the toilet that is Hackney). I would imagine when you were a nipper it wasn't all that bad, certainly only a handful of people got shot/stabbed a year as opposed to the handful a week it seemed there was when I moved there! :lol:

I had relatives in Enfield and, as you say, remember the trip from Norwich down the old A10 to go and visit them. Even Enfield didn't seem too bad all those years ago.

Family came from the Enfield area - used to have nurseries all around Cuffley and Turnford from after the war, and engineering company in Hoddesdon. Knew most of the pubs there when I was growing up!

Edited by MrM

hi mick.

it wasnt too bad, i lived on london fields in a prefab, we had all the park and a lido, my mate used to live mildenhall rd clapton back of the pond, that was 46 to 72 i then went up market and bought a house in edmonton. the only killings we had in hackney were from proper gangsters.luckily my dad was a country boy and never was happy in london and took me to the country at every oppertunity teaching me to shoot and fish, we were best friends till he died 9 years ago at 90.

Family came from the Enfield area - used to have nurseries all around Cuffley and Turnford from after the war, and engineering company in Hoddesdon. Knew most of the pubs there when I was growing up!

most of the nursaries were started by the italians that stayed after the war.

Ha, my family are from Hackney. The ol' man used to live in Stonebridge flats just round the corner from Haggerston Square, 'til he met my mum and moved to Broke Road off Kingsland Road until I was 5 when we moved out to Chigwell.

I have fond memories of being fascinated by the live eel stall in Broadway Market.

hi mick.

it wasnt too bad, i lived on london fields in a prefab, we had all the park and a lido, my mate used to live mildenhall rd clapton back of the pond, that was 46 to 72 i then went up market and bought a house in edmonton. the only killings we had in hackney were from proper gangsters.luckily my dad was a country boy and never was happy in london and took me to the country at every oppertunity teaching me to shoot and fish, we were best friends till he died 9 years ago at 90.

most of the nursaries were started by the italians that stayed after the war.

Yes, there were a number of nurseries that had several Italian families running them especially around Cuffley - grew cucumbers and tomatoes! remember my father telling me about how he would take the lorry down to Covent garden for the crack of dawn!

Mostly all sold for building now.

Edited by MrM

There are still quite a few remaining in that part of the Lea Valley.

Yes, there were a number of nurseries that had several Italian families running them especially around Cuffley - grew cucumbers and tomatoes! remember my father telling me about how he would take the lorry down to Covent garden for the crack of dawn!

Mostly all sold for building now.

Ha, my family are from Hackney. The ol' man used to live in Stonebridge flats just round the corner from Haggerston Square, 'til he met my mum and moved to Broke Road off Kingsland Road until I was 5 when we moved out to Chigwell.

I have fond memories of being fascinated by the live eel stall in Broadway Market.

i used to walk through broadway market every day to work in hackney rd then i got a bike and cycled some days i would have to get off and push because the smog was so dense, there was a working mans cafe where you could get a 2 course dinner for a shilling or 5p i was only 15 then and my mum used to get me to pick up a pound of broken biscuits sometimes on my way home.they pulled the prefabs down about 1965, we went from there to the dizzy heights of hackney wick. chigwell WOW that was posh, some of my mates were relocated to chingford hatch i thought that was posh too, it was a day out to visit them and go to the forest.