Shooting a dog thats worrying livestock

The landowner by permitting someone to graze their sheep on his land on an informal basis does not make the sheep owner an occupier, nor, for that matter, does a formal short term grazing agreement.

The landowner remains the occupier and as such, his dogs worrying sheep on his land are exempt under the Dogs (protection of Livestock) Act 1953.

The grazier in this case, has no right to enter the land and shoot the landowner's dog or anyone else's for that matter unless he is so authorised by the landowner.

Although it may be lawful for a farmer to shoot a dog worrying his live stock I would suggest this us the very last option. At the very least it is bad pr for shooting and the farmer. It should also be remembered that dogs are to many members of their family. You don't want to go around making life long enemies for killing someone's dog. Better to educate the owner.

Over the last forty years I have shot several dogs that have been worrying our sheep always as a last resort with there owners never present always rang police straight away and never had any problems.On one occasion about 25 years ago we had 100 ewes and lambs turned out for the summer on our ings and marsh land one day we went round them and found a dead lamb that had been eaten with just its head and skin left this did not bother us to much because you can loose a lamb and the foxes will eat it.The next day when we went round there was another dead and over the next 2 weeks we picked 10 lambs all the same we went round all hours and never saw any thing I even sat up all night be hind a tree nothing came.Then one Saturday morning I had been into the village and was coming back to the farm over the other side of the river I could see all our sheep huddled together in a corner went home and got dad and brother and our shotguns there were two large hedges that ran from the road down to the ings dropped them off dad went down one hedge and brother the other I went in the landrover to were I had seen the sheep and came a cross another dead lamb no sign off a dog. I checked the rest of the sheep just then I heard a shot in the distance drove round to dad and a fox hound and come down the hedge to him a bb stopped it in its tracks and it still had wool in its mouth. We looked in its ear because all fox hounds have to be tattooed to show which hunt owns them this had a M in its ear for the middleton hunt. Went back home and rang the kennels up the kennel huntsman denied all knowledge of it till we said it had there mark in it he then said the master of the hunt would come and see us which he did and he paid us for our losses. It turned out they had lost this hound 6 months ago when out hunting over thirty miles from us and nobody had seen it from that day to the day we shot it but there had been a bit in the local paper about a farmer 20 miles away who had lost some sheep and he was blaming a puma or big cat.

I guess it must have been lost and starving which is why it turned to eating lambs.

Lol.

My last one was two dogs baying calving cattle. Two delinquents they were, they would attack me and others when marauding.

There owners were of the hippy types, dealing with heavy stuff was just beyond them man!

The final straw came when they were running cattle heavy in calf, some calves were lost and the herd was panicky.

It only took one of them to be buried and nothing was ever said!

The most interesting part is the survivor is a staffy, I would of never guessed they can match a whippet for speed or jump a 4' fence! Amazing it was to see!

This sums it up well, its a fine balance and all other options should be exhausted first, I think some are too quick to suggest shooting as the first option, what I feel they fail to take into account is that alot of people see there dogs as family members and not a commercial interest which is what sheep at the end of the day are to a farmer. Also its worth noting (no matter how wrong it is) that alot of dogs which are left to run about are likely owned by scum who may very well look for retribution leaving the farmer to pick up the pieces when his equipment etc gets vandalised, shooting a dog is defiantly not something I would take on for a third party and something I think is best left to landowners themselves after exhausting every other option.

Although it may be lawful for a farmer to shoot a dog worrying his live stock I would suggest this us the very last option. At the very least it is bad pr for shooting and the farmer. It should also be remembered that dogs are to many members of their family. You don't want to go around making life long enemies for killing someone's dog. Better to educate the owner.

This sums it up well, its a fine balance and all other options should be exhausted first, I think some are too quick to suggest shooting as the first option, what I feel they fail to take into account is that alot of people see there dogs as family members and not a commercial interest which is what sheep at the end of the day are to a farmer. Also its worth noting (no matter how wrong it is) that alot of dogs which are left to run about are likely owned by scum who may very well look for retribution leaving the farmer to pick up the pieces when his equipment etc gets vandalised, shooting a dog is defiantly not something I would take on for a third party and something I think is best left to landowners themselves after exhausting every other option.

I don't know that it would be lawful for the farmer to shoot the dog in this instance. It's not his land. Is he allowed to shoot anything there?

Oops! Just read a reply answering this question. Ignore me. :)

Edited by walshie