28 bore cartridges.

I am using Fiocchi 24gm 6s and 5s at the moment and have had woodcock, woodpigeon, rabbits and pheasant with them. However for general vermin control I find 21gm 6 and 7 is fine for squirrels, rabbits, decoying pigeons and crows. Even had several foxes with them

This season I have used the Gamebore 27 gramme wool wad 6 shot and found them to be excellent. Expensive at 400 odd quid per thousand but good performers through my gun/choke combination.

For decoying I use Hull 23 gramme 7s. Also good.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Yes I shot for many years when I was starting out with a 28 bore. I still have a 20 in my cabinet, which I will use on occasion. It's the same with 20's on a game day, people happily stuff 32g+ cartridges in a 20 and others comment "x is shooting well, oh and did you know he's only using a 20 bore". I can only think that is why people do it. It takes away the raison d'etre of a lighter gun, and is more about willy waving.

Yes I shot for many years when I was starting out with a 28 bore. I still have a 20 in my cabinet, which I will use on occasion. It's the same with 20's on a game day, people happily stuff 32g+ cartridges in a 20 and others comment "x is shooting well, and he's only using a 20 bore". I can only think that is why people do it. It takes away the raison d'etre of a lighter gun, and is more about willy waving.

I see your point but it doesn't account for people who spend the majority of time shooting alone. Worrying about other people's motivation is a waste of time.

Not sure I would shoot much over 23 grammes through the average 28bore side by side but with my Miroku the recoil is hardly noticeable.

I take your point too. Most of the replies were talking about the appropriate lighter loads here, I wasn't really addressing anyone in particular on the topic. It's just a trend I have noticed in the field. Could also understand if it was your only gun, and on occasion you needed a punchier cartridge. But there are some that do it day in and day out.

To be honest I think it's the magazines as much as anything that project an image that smaller calibre guns are inherently inferior. As those of us who use them know, that's not the whole story.

• 10 months later...

Hi i have shot a 28 for many years realy underated gun, some people laugh when you stand on a pheasant shoot with a 28 but they are deadly in the rite hands, i tend to use anything from 21 gram up to 24 gram the eley vip is a good cartridge, best pheasant cartridge was the bornaghi 24 gram in continental 7 shot but im not sure if you can still get these.Gamebore also due a good cartridge not sure i would ever use there 27 gram cartridge much better on the recoil stakes with the 21 gram loads,also found the plastic wad catridges are a better bet for high pheasants hope this helps.

I still never understand why people want to shoot a 28 bore and then put a full ounce load through it - which used to be the go to game load in a 12.

Is it so that the ill-informed think that their standard of shooting is somehow superior?

Well said. It's the common American trait of magnumitus. Like getting a 410 and stuffing an ounce of lead up it. 28 bore = 9/16oz (16gm) this is a nice load.

This is a good read about smallbores. .>> https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.fourten.org.uk/RiseoftheSmallerBores.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiHhImvqZ_QAhWHBcAKHT-tBZsQFgg1MAM&usg=AFQjCNFkbBIeSwb3fZe9ExYakfFXey2vBA&sig2=wPflWxzaMJvcwRDOnkXNqg

Edited by fortune

Hi i have shot a 28 for many years realy underated gun, some people laugh when you stand on a pheasant shoot with a 28 but they are deadly in the rite hands, i tend to use anything from 21 gram up to 24 gram the eley vip is a good cartridge, best pheasant cartridge was the bornaghi 24 gram in continental 7 shot but im not sure if you can still get these.Gamebore also due a good cartridge not sure i would ever use there 27 gram cartridge much better on the recoil stakes with the 21 gram loads,also found the plastic wad catridges are a better bet for high pheasants hope this helps.

Old thread(!), but I'm glad someone finally mentioned them.

Eley VIP is a good cartridge for 28 gauge and surprisingly cheap (at my local shop anyway). 21g/#6 is a nice, traditional 28 gauge load. I've thought about using the #7s from time to time but still haven't made the switch. They'd probably work just as well.

As always, I agree with the comments about stuffing an ounce down tubes that small. Very silly. If you want to shoot an ounce of shot, buy a 16 gauge. :)