Started stock

winnie&bezza

See what you mean and it may be the limiting factor in the size of the Bullpup you could make. It will mount far enough forward to make a short Bullpup but it would have to be mounted lower with the handgrip below where the cocking arm moves when you break the barrel so probably only a inch and a half lower down.

Hope you make it :yes::good:

Edited by figgy

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers oowee. Oh definitely a keeper. That rifle was used on my first ever hunting expedition and shot my first rabbit with it. Think I had 2 that day. It will never be sold for that reason and to add a stock I've made myself makes it even more so. Thanks.

Edited by winnie&bezza

does anyone one know if its possible to put a left handed bolt on this gun. Bought it when I shot right handed but left eye gradually became more dominant.

its possible to put a lefy hand bolt on any rifle, is it a s410 ? if it is I,ve got a left hand bolt here you can have bud, it was fitted wrongly to my mates s410 right hand gun,,the only problem I see with you changing to left hand is its not an ambi stock its right handed so I cant see the point doing it

What finish are you applying? The mixture your French polisher made up, best London finish?

I'm not to sure yet figgy. I kind of want to make up the oil myself. I don't really want to use a commercially bought oil as I feel it's cheating when I've done it all from scratch. Thinking about doing maybe a BLO and tung oil or Danish oil mix. Open to ideas!

Drop Old Farrier a pm see if he will give you the hand rubbed oil recipe he was given for his stock he had made. I was kindly given some off Sage100 and refinished three stocks with his mix.

Beautiful finish achieved and a real labour of love, hand palming in the oil daily.

It was made up by Dennis and he has used it for decades. It's a linseed oil base with shellac in it and driers. Don't know the formula sorry.

Here is my 682 stock I refinished, I left the colour completely natural as I wanted to see all the burls and grain.

post-15874-0-86609100-1462210439_thumb.jpeg

Edited by figgy

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all, finito!! All done and dusted. After all the advice and procedures kindly given about oiling, I decided to use osmo Polyx hardwax oil (cheating and you might disagree with using it) that the French polisher I know gave me and he said it's very good stuff. It was the semi Matt one and in the pics it looks a little more glossy than it actually does. It gives a nice sheen. Zeroed earlier and 4 shots in a 20p sized circle at 25yds so happy with that. Thanks all for all the advice and kind comments given and especially FalconFn who sent me the piece of ebony for butt cap. Thanks.

Edited by winnie&bezza

Fantastic work W&B! Looks superb, well done for such a top notch job. :good:

Cheers FFN. When I started u really didn't know how it was going to turn out and if I could do it but even though there is flaws and it's not perfect, it's come out better than I thought it would. Thanks again for ebony.

Looks good

Wonderfull to do it all

🤗🤗🤗🤗

All the best

Of

Cheers OF. Thanks for advice regarding finishing and kind words. ATB.

Seriously jealous here. Looks awesome honest.

We use that oil on window frames etc and it's good stuff .

The only thing it needs is cabinet dings lol

Now the floor is yours haha. Your turn! Thanks. Yes it seems good stuff and dries in good time. Don't talk about dings! But yes it's gonna get em.l no doubt.

:good: nice job you must be made up with how it's turned out.

Thanks figgy and yes even though there's a few things that annoy me like the air gauge hole not dead straight I'm very happy. Taking it out on my new permission tomorrow morning for a go on the corvids around the farmyard.