Started stock

winnie&bezza

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, finally got some done after having hardly any time at all but got the stipling done on stock which I must say wasn't too hard. Used a 4" nail ground with a shallow point and lightly tapped it quite fast all over keeping same force on each tap. Nearly finished the fitting of butt pad and then the big sand ready for oiling which I can't wait for but I'm definitely not gonna rush it.

image_zpscwvw2pzc.jpeg

image_zpsi0ae0c3a.jpeg

image_zpsm6rbydip.jpeg

image_zpsmfyncifw.jpeg

And I forgot to add that I really am open and would be grateful for any ideas if you can see where I could make it better or if it looks naff in any way!

Cheers oowee. Haha I wish I could and I would love to but I'm gonna be limited for a while as working in week then I've got private work on weekends for the next 5 or 6 weeks :-(

Haha I can dream on marksman, people a lot better than me at it. Obviously that would be a dream job, set up at home doing stocks but I think that wouldn't be feasible income wise but maybe if I fancy doing it when I'm older as I'm only 29 then if financially I could do it then I might. I don't know but is it something you can earn a living from?

Haha I can dream on marksman, people a lot better than me at it. Obviously that would be a dream job, set up at home doing stocks but I think that wouldn't be feasible income wise but maybe if I fancy doing it when I'm older as I'm only 29 then if financially I could do it then I might. I don't know but is it something you can earn a living from?

I got a stock of here: https://www.customstock.co.uk/customshop/

Wanted a thumbhole on my tx200 cost £277 with extras (Rosewood Cap and skip checkering) was the CS800.

Really amazing stocks obviously done with machines so hard to compete.

Yours isn't far behind considering it was all done by hand!

Edited by Marksman1997

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Evo,good to have your opinion. I'm trying my best and yes I've decided to leave it thick ha. Atb

Also Evo as you have more knowledge in this field, would you know how much a custom handmade stock would cost purely out of interest?

depending on the quality and with no metal hooks etc they can cost anything from £250 right upto gary cane stuff which is over a £1000,

the stock you have made is looking superb mate so much so I might even have a go at making one for my s510 for FT,

you certainly want to stick with making them that's for sure as you have shown the patience and also the commitment to do a cracking job,but most importantly you have taken pride in what you have made,

well done mate and thanks for sharing also

atb Bob

depending on the quality and with no metal hooks etc they can cost anything from £250 right upto gary cane stuff which is over a £1000,

the stock you have made is looking superb mate so much so I might even have a go at making one for my s510 for FT,

you certainly want to stick with making them that's for sure as you have shown the patience and also the commitment to do a cracking job,but most importantly you have taken pride in what you have made,

well done mate and thanks for sharing also

atb Bob

Cheers Evo and yeah the prices are what I thought. Some or most of the cane stuff is brilliant and far from what I could ever do but I presume they use machines. All I can say is do it, it's so satisfying watching it evolve in front of you and just imagine going down to your HFT club and someone saying that's a nice stock where did you get it and you can reply ' I MADE IT' :-) I'll definitely carry on and I've decided to do one for my R10 when I get the time. I've learned from this one and I know I'd do certain things a different way,in a different order and to make it better.

Thanks for kind words and I'll keep posting when I do more.

Cheers