.177 or .22

pavman

You have been given a chance to shoot bunnies by farmer, you don’t have a FAC and noise is a problem, you have an old .22 spring action air rifle. what is the opinion of our air gunners as to the pros and cons of .177 and .22 at 12 ftlbs, do any of you take many bunnies with either if so what cal works best in your opinion.

Thanks pavman

You have been given a chance to shoot bunnies by farmer, you don’t have a FAC and noise is a problem, you have an old .22 spring action air rifle. what is the opinion of our air gunners as to the pros and cons of .177 and .22 at 12 ftlbs, do any of you take many bunnies with either if so what cal works best in your opinion.

Thanks pavman

Personally, if I was starting again with the knoweldge I have now I would choose a .177 PCP. .177 is a lot more flatter so makes field shooting imo easier as its more forgiving if you incorectly judge the distance. Althou if you are going to buy an air rifle, I would consider going FAC and getting a FAC one, they are cheaper 2nd hand and more power will be ideal for shooting rabbits esp.

Thanks pavman

I've been using my .177 S200 for the past couple of months and been raking the bunnies in. I have a .22 also but its waiting for a decent scope.

The .177 also has a flatter trajectory than a .22 making it more forgiving of range estimating mistakes = easier to place a pellet accurately.

Dont get me wrong, my Falcon .22 knocks a rabbit on its *** well and truly (but you have to know your distances) But as I say, the S200 has been dropping them just as easily recently, it's all about pellet placement at the end of the day IMO.

You'll probably get someone along telling you to check previous threads now as this is older than the Big Bang / Evolution debate ;)

Chestnut old not this again! ;)

I would advise that the old springer in .22 would good enough if properly serviced. :good: If one wanted to take it onboard seriously I would suggest a PCP and a possible upgrade into FAC.

Either way, it would always be .22 as this ones fingers are to big to be fumbling a .177 pellet. :good:

Actually there are other very good reasons too. If you upgrade to PCP, you'll get more shots per fill in .22 and the heavier grain pellet is more stable in the elements. It also transfers all of its energy to the target. Whereas .177 pellets are known to continue through and therefore not deliver all the energy.

IMHO .177 is an easy winner at 12ft lb Pavman.

Are we talking speed and penetration?

Lets not expect a reply from NTTF as he knows nothing about either ;)

Due to the speed .177 pellets fly flatter further. Imagine luanching a tennis ball then shot put, which travels further & flatter, the tennis ball its lighter and has more speed. Due to the fact it is lighter and therefore travelling faster it is more likely to penetrate this is then further increased by the smaller cross sectional area as smaller points (needles, knifes etc) penetrate easier. At 12ftlbs, although i use a .22 my next gun would DEFINATELY be .177 even if it involved a trade in. However, should I go FAC then .22 (due to the extra power the fac allows).

But as I said earlier pav you actually be financially and power wise better off going down the FAC route. If you alreaady own a guncabinet for your SG's then just apply for a FAC air rifle and you will find one cheaper 2nd hand than the equivilant 12ftlb model. So then you can tell the Mrs you saved money & got a better gun! :good:

Thanks pavman

.22 rimfire ;)

well take a hard look at it

the larger pellets of the .22 due to having a lagre surface area will hit harder, but due to them being bigger they will not fly as far due to a larger air resistance, and also not penetrate as deep.

the 177 will penetrate deeper and fly futher, giving a hit as hard as the .22 at the longer range

as the barrel in the 177 is smaller the same 12ft/lb of preasure are concentreate on small area, and therefore the overall preasure will be released quicker. take it as a garden hose, put your finger over hald the hole and the preasure is greater, but still coming from the tap at the same rate

i would have 177 myself

:good:

:lol: 22 all the way i have both fac and non fac and would nt go to 177 for any money,my answer and reason for that is know your gun,know your trajectory and finally spend time shooting them so you can know the first two.in my opinion 177 is for those guys who cant get their heads round pellet drop and like the flatter flying pellet,remember the old saying PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT :good:

:good: 22 all the way i have both fac and non fac and would nt go to 177 for any money,my answer and reason for that is know your gun,know your trajectory and finally spend time shooting them so you can know the first two.in my opinion 177 is for those guys who cant get their heads round pellet drop and like the flatter flying pellet,remember the old saying PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT ;)

shot since i was very young always shot with a 22 no problems with the 22 hit most i was shooting at as said learn trajectories 177 greater killing distance :lol: when you have no fac and no hope of getting one to me 177 gave me that edge

Have shot with both over 30 + years also spring and PCP - shot two bunnies half an hour ago - one with Falcon Light Hunter .177 - 12 lb ft ( went straight through heart lung - sometimes a problem with .177 - it don't know it's dead 'til itb gets to its hole!) - the other with BSA Ultra in .22 - bowled it over well - pellet stayed in - both at around 45+yds - both are cleaned and filleted, wrapped in bacon ready to cook in cider tomorrow - get a decent scope!!! you won't hit much if ya can't see it! good luck