Driven day with daughter on go-pro duty

I hope the link works i have been struggling to post pics and vids for a while, We had a let day at a local estate before the season ended, my eldest who is 7 was champing to come out with us so to make it interesting i gave her the go pro.

Sooo 1st drive i only go and shoot one in front that lands on her head!! She seen the funny side eventually. Needless to say i was in hysterics for a wee while!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00l5o9d6kwibmkj/D47B1D5AE4F212FFAC1FED747B6F6784.mp4?dl=0

Edited by novice cushie shooter

There were pickers up about 40 yards behind the gun line who send dogs for wounded birds either as the drive is happening or some mark where it has landed and send dogs for them when the drive is over! No row started its a good question to somone not experienced driven shooting.

There were pickers up about 40 yards behind the gun line who send dogs for wounded birds either as the drive is happening or some mark where it has landed and send dogs for them when the drive is over! No row started its a good question to somone not experienced driven shooting.

Thanks for that

kennym

On the face of it, it seems funny but many a person has been seriously injured by falling game. I remember a friend who shot a duck out of a flight. He carried on to swing through for another but didn’t consider where the first bird was. He is a big hard man probably 15 stone. The mallard that he had shot hit him in the head and shoulder area. He was knocked off of his feet and flattened to the ground. The gun had taken most of the impact and the stock had been snapped in two. The top tang and the trigger guard hard been bent to right angles and the second barrel discharged. He wasn’t permanently injured but he looked like he had gone a round or two with Mike Tyson and his young son that had been standing next to him narrowly escaped being shot by the second barrel. If the little girl had been hit in the head she could have been seriously injured. She had a lucky escape.

I know it could have been different but i look back and have a laugh with her about it rather than what could have possibly happened. Am sure a woman got killed by a falling pheasant breaking her neck a long time ago. Its a lesson that you should always have your wits about you and be aware.

It is quite incredible how much impact force there is when a bird comes down. I remember pigeon shooting over decoys from a dried up pond which had trees growing around it. I shot a pigeon that was coming in at a fair speed and it hit the sapling that I was standing next to. The sapling was about 5>6 inch diameter and it shook with the impact. I was surprised at the way the sapling shook and I tried to shake it myself and as hard as I tried it didn't move at all. I remember about the woman that got hit by the falling bird. but there have been others. I wonder what force would be for different species. I don't fancy getting hit by a Canada or similar.

• 3 weeks later...

I obviously know how serious this can be, however upon Novice Cushie Shooter turning and seeing his daughter was ok, it is ok to make it a laughing matter in my opinion - in fact, if he hadn't then she could have been really frightened and made the whole day go downhill.

My friend was showing me some pictures took on his mobile of a pheasant that had landed on a windscreen of a truck on the gameshoot he is on, smashed through good and proper

Falling birds are a dangerous issue and we are all at risk... Over the years I've been hit twice, both times in the hide by falling pigeons . As a younger man I boxed a fair bit and I can honestly say it's like getting a good jab ....However I was out today after some pigeons and didn't even shoot one cartridge .... The only injury I had was a broken heart !!!