Best 4x4 sub 3k

NorfolkAYA

You do not say how much your budget is if it is less than 5k I would say get a Nissan X-trail diesel they come out top of all soft roaders they drive like normal cars do and the four wheel drive is said to be better that the mk 1 freelander without all of the problems not forgeting loads of room in the back for dogs and stuff.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

For that sort of money or less, I would be looking at a Frontera 2.2 diesel. Quicker and more economical than same age Discovery. One of the cheapest cars to run, I have ever had - we have had well over 100.

We had one to tow a box trailer, for motocross - some years ago. Towed a ton like it wasn't there. Great across a muddy paddock.

Edited by Gordon R

Have to agree with Gordon r. I've had 3. 1 LWB, 2 SWB. Albeit, all petrol. The mk1 SWB was just as good as the mk2 SWB off road, although I preferred the mk1 4 wheel drive system. The LWB had the turning circle of a barge, and the 2.4 petrol was gutless, as was the mk 1 petrol. (The old 2 litre cavalier engine I believe) My current SWB MK 2 2003 model has the 2.2 eco tech engine. Pulls well, is great off road, despite mr really needing off road tyres... Fuel economy is ok on the road, when you keep the revs around 3.5k. It does pull well if you have to cane it, but the fuel gauge drops as quick as the speedo needle goes up when you do! Off-road, it's pretty good, even with road/winter tyres.... But it uses a lot of fuel in 4x4 mode off-road. On average I'd say 24-27 mpg.

It's a good post, as I drive the 2014 Ford Kuga, and only use the Frontera for shooting, but want to hand over the Kuga to the wife and get something around 3-4K for shooting and general road driving. My thoughts were Honda CRV, Nissan X-Trail, or the Suzuki Grand Vitara.....

• 4 weeks later...

Had a swb 19 petrol frontera best off road I ever had go anywhere,now have a 06 x-trail for last 5years

Great bit of kit with back seats down like having a van.get all my pigeon gear in dogs dead birds and a mate no probs,it takes 5 men and all there gear clay shooting at times.also used for towing large caravan and the 2.2 engine just eats up the hills and really stable too.mpg ok but I do drive it like a car and it goes well,

It's ok across stable fields and grass but when things get really muddy not so good only have road tyres on .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a jimny, they are fantastic off road, even without a diff lock, even Suzuki dealers will tell you they're better off road than the vitara, not great on road though, noisy, bouncy and slow, you get used to it though.

The space is an issue, fine for two people and gear, three at a push, but you'd never get four in without a roof box. If I'm putting guns in at least one of the back seats needs folding.

Saying that though I don't think I'd trade it for anything short of a defender, they're not for everyone, but some, me included, love them.

I know of a couple with a 4 litre Lexus v8 fitted and sitting on Toyota Land Cruiser axles, think mini bowler wildcat, absolutely terrifying.

No disrespect to Jimny owners but are they really THAT good, I can imagine them being great off-road I had a 1990 vitara that was great but the thing I don't understand with the Jimny is size.

Can you even fit a 30" barrelled gun in the back or a rifle with mod fitted in a slip?

Just take one off road mate,that's what I did one morning & went straight out to bought one on the afternoon (fully loaded)took the back seats out and got all the kit in no bother ( howa 1500 243 with sonic mod @that's a big mod).

Gave up shooting but didn't want to part with the jimny so traded it in for a newer standard one & just put a set of A/T's on I just use it as a 2nd car for fishing.

With the back seats down I can get 2 seat boxes and all the kit for both myself and the boy in.

I agree with the above,only 4x4 that would temp me to change would be a defender but they are stupid money for a one that's going to be reliable.

I built are raised floor for this one as I didn't want to remove the rears (just fold them down).It converts in a minute from seats up to floor down.

On my last jimny I took the rear seats out perminently and put in level rear floor.You either love them or hate them, I hated them until I had the chance to take one off road.

One bit of advise if you go looking especially at sub 3k.Look around the headlight under the bonnet and lift the rear carpets under the rear seats (seat belt meets the chassis).If you get a clean one get it pro cleaned and undersealed £260.I found a 2008 with 23k on the clock @ a Suzuki dealer with 3yr Warrenty and dropped it straight off to get undersealed (took 2days).

post-30855-0-63871100-1460654324_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Another tip if you go looking for jimnys at the cheaper end of the market, don't buy a soft top, and don't buy a soft or hard top with the indicator stalk on the left hand side of the steering wheel, you want the indicator stalk on the right, the ones with the stalk on the left and all the soft tops were made under license in Spain by Santana, they're not bad, but the build quality on the ones that are built in Japan by Suzuki themselves is better, and there won't be a price difference because of it so you may as well get the better put together one, Santana went out of business in 2004 I think, (edit: it was 2011, but stopped making the Jimmy in 2009) so as long as it's newer than that it won't be an issue, just something to keep an eye out for.

Another edit, I'm not doing well here: It appears I've got it wrong with the indicator stalk, that worked with SJs but some Spanish built cars had them on the right as well with the Jimny, so you'll need to check the vin number, should start J/SA for a Japanese built car, it'll be V/SE for a Spanish one.

Edited by Jamesey1981

One on auto trader at the moment @£2245.High miles though 116k but ok if service history.I'd try and stretch to £3500 should bring the miles down to about 50/60k.I paid £4500 for mine 58plate with 23k and full suzuki history.Plenty out there just find the best for your budget.Stay away from modified unless you checked insurance 1st, its not such a ploblem finding insurance but when it comes to resale you have a very limited market.I've had a fully loaded one and to be honest unless your hardcore green landing then there really is no need.

post-30855-0-07388100-1460658170_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

I've never got mine stuck either, did change the tyres to general grabbers though, but decent all terrain tyres is the only mod you need to do. Only other thing that I would advise doing is running hoses off the diff breathers as high up as you can if you're going to be around a fair bit of water, they can suck it in and it gets into your diff oil, can get a kit to do that pretty cheap and as long as you park so you can take advantage of the ground clearance you won't need a ramp.