Exercise bike

steve_b_wales

There is no need to complicate things

Losing weight is all about calories.

3500 calories is 1lb in terms of body weight

Work out your Basic metabolic rate x your activity factor ( Google it)

Then if you deduct 500 calories a day from that you will lose 1 lb per week.

This is without exercise.

As some people have correctly said you cannot starve yourself as the first thing your body will do is panic and try and retain everything it needs to survive......fat and water.

And here is a tip

If you drink a pint of ice cold water....your body will use quite a bit of calories to warm that water up to body temperature.

Ade

There is no need to complicate things

Losing weight is all about calories.

3500 calories is 1lb in terms of body weight

Work out your Basic metabolic rate x your activity factor ( Google it)

Then if you deduct 500 calories a day from that you will lose 1 lb per week.

This is without exercise.

As some people have correctly said you cannot starve yourself as the first thing your body will do is panic and try and retain everything it needs to survive......fat and water.

And here is a tip

If you drink a pint of ice cold water....your body will use quite a bit of calories to warm that water up to body temperature.

Ade

Thanks.

Sorry but that's incorrect out of date thinking.

You can say that about everything to do with dieting.

This week sugar is the new enemy no 1 but fat is OK to eat.

It's the most boring statement in the world, but to binge won't achieve anything long term it's all about lifestyle not yo-yo-ing.

Anyway, enough of this, I am off out to walk the dog :)

You can say that about everything to do with dieting.

This week sugar is the new enemy no 1 but fat is OK to eat.

It's the most boring statement in the world, but to binge won't achieve anything long term it's all about lifestyle not yo-yo-ing.

Anyway, enough of this, I am off out to walk the dog :)

Watch the video, see the list of phd accredited folk responsible for this research. This research is shaping government guidelines.

Watch the video, see the list of phd accredited folk responsible for this research. This research is shaping government guidelines.

I also can list PHD accredited folk saying what I said, alongside thousands of people who've done it and found the same.

Foods high in sugar at every calorie dense. Eat too many calories and you get fat!

Why don't you drive to the gym, go upstairs on the escalator and then go on the exercise machines there?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but good health is all about eating less and moving about more as we get older. Exercise bikes look so boring, get a real bicycle and use it regularly, that way you'll save some cash and get healthier at the same time. There's no need to clad yourself in Lycra, just wear normal clothes and get some lightweight breathable waterproofs for when it rains. - it works for me.

Then drop him off at the canal so he can get home again !

Actually a rowing machine is a fantastic machine, and I love using one... BUT...

1) You can't use your hands for anything else (forget putting the ipad on and flicking thru the news)

2) It does your hands in if you use it seriously. I mean /seriously/ -- blisters, calluses, caluses cracking etc. I know, I was a bit of an addict for a while.

3) takes about 40 square meter just for itself

So I passed on one at home. the exercise bike is the less troublesome pice of equipment you can get, with all the reservation we mentioned before.

Weight loss is 20% exercise and 80% diet , I really hate the term "dieting" as it implies a short change in habits in order to achieve a goal when really you just need a permanent change in lifestyle to achieve and maintain your goal. I cut out sugar in tea and coffee and dropped 1 1/2 stone over a few months despite what the fatties say it's all about what goes on your mouth, cut the calories and you will loose weight, if your not loosing weight you are consuming too many calories

BTW I'm more into fasting. That and a morning cold shower everyday for years.

I know the 'skipping meal is bad' mafia is around and all that (sponsored by Mr Kellogs), but heck, I've been doing it for years and it works so what. I'm french, I love cooking, and I hate counting calories. I don't want a 'half steak' if I eat. I want full fat milk because it tastes fantastic. I want proper butter.

When I want to lose weight, I just stop eating for a few days. The first day is hard(ish) and it gets easier afterward...

You get a 'mental high' on the third and fourth day, and I usually start eating again on the 5th. Mostly that means I have a good meal on sunday night, and have another good meal on friday night, and in between I have water, some juice in the morning, and coffee!

I know, not everyone cup of tea, but I lose 1Kg a /day/ doing that... and I do that perhaps once every other month, and that keeps me pretty nice and tidy in my jeans without having to 1) feel bad 2) become a beancounter.

BTW I'm more into fasting. That and a morning cold shower everyday for years.

I know the 'skipping meal is bad' mafia is around and all that (sponsored by Mr Kellogs), but heck, I've been doing it for years and it works so what. I'm french, I love cooking, and I hate counting calories. I don't want a 'half steak' if I eat. I want full fat milk because it tastes fantastic. I want proper butter.

When I want to lose weight, I just stop eating for a few days. The first day is hard(ish) and it gets easier afterward...

You get a 'mental high' on the third and fourth day, and I usually start eating again on the 5th. Mostly that means I have a good meal on sunday night, and have another good meal on friday night, and in between I have water, some juice in the morning, and coffee!

I know, not everyone cup of tea, but I lose 1Kg a /day/ doing that... and I do that perhaps once every other month, and that keeps me pretty nice and tidy in my jeans without having to 1) feel bad 2) become a beancounter.

I know fasting works (mostly due to compliance and lower overall calorie intake) but if your goal is FAT loss and not just weight loss I'd probably not advise going so extreme as you would lose lean body mass as well (muscle).

If your happy with that for your individually though then good on you :)

I disagree with the muscle loss. Once you run out of fat you very likely do, but there's more than enough fat on most blokes to go around and 'feed' you for a few days. I'm quite a muscular person, and fasting very quickly defines muscles a lot more, and removes some fat /from/ the muscles but it's a lot harder to start breaking down muscle than burning the fat around.