Maxam Imperial Trap 28g Cartridge ?

My local clay shoot supply them to shooters that need something on the day. My experience of them (from what I see others shooting) is that they do the job but they are fairly "dirty" (maybe due to the storage facility who knows) and there have been a few primers failed but they're cheap so a bit of trouble can be expected.

Not my favorite cartridge and not something Id use personally. I dont mind spending a little more to get my "usual" cartridge for clays.

Edited: I believe they're made by eley

Edited by ghosthunter

• 2 weeks later...

There really isn't any bad cartridges these days.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were made by Rio via maxam group.

Drop em cheap on the market !

Do you know where you can get them round Newmarket?, there is not a lot in it but the Country store in Pampisford want £145 for a 1000 whilst others want £132 - £135.

All the shops are now putting the prices of them up. It's getting to the point where it's not worth putting up with the defects I've found for very little saving. If I'm saving less than £20.00 a thousand and have to drive to get them it's not a saving.

If your local place has them at 145 try them it'll cost more to try and save less than a tenner.

Just paid £142 at Rugby Gun.

Not had a problem with these and plenty of empty cases in the bins at the grounds I visit to suggest they are becoming popular.

previously shot Powerblues which are now £176 (fibre) so its a £34 saving or 1250 for 1,000 money.

So far, 2,000, shot and no duds. They have a bit more kick than PBs but they are quick enough and I can easily swap between Imperials and PB's without any need to rethink lead etc.

A.

I used lots of them at the Essex Masters and my mates comented on the noises coming from my gun. Said it sounded like I was using up old fireworks and party poppers. Must admit after shooting around 120 of them my head was ringing a bit so I swapped back to Superfast plaswad until I came to a close pair and use a couple of the Impeials I really noticed the kick and recoil then. You get used to whatever thumpy cart your shooting untill you try a soft cartridge again. My semi auto loves them.

Edited by figgy

I used lots of them at the Essex Masters and my mates fomented on the noises coming from my gun. Said it sounded like I was using up old fireworks and party poppers. Must admit after shooting around 120 of them my head was ringing a bit so I swapped back to Superfast plaswad until I came to a close pair and use a couple of the Impeials I really noticed the kick and recoil then. You get used to whatever thumpy cart your shooting untill you try a soft cartridge again. My semi auto loves them.

Superfast are hardly soft!

Superfast are hardly soft!

they're that soft they won't cycle my Benelli Semi Auto properly. We all react to different types of recoil differently. I find Superfasts as soft as Comp X. But find Imperials kick like the old Kent Velocity carts used to. I find the sharper fast impulse harder than the heavier shove heave of slower burn powders to cope with.

It always surprised me how many find Superfast cartridges kicky, the Lyalvale Power Red 27g kick a lot more to me. I feel it both my shoulder and cheek. When my head feels like I've banged it and rings when I fire too many of that type of cart. It's time to put them through a different gun and to use a different cartridge to carry on.

they're that soft they won't cycle my Benelli Semi Auto properly. We all react to different types of recoil differently. I find Superfasts as soft as Comp X. But find Imperials kick like the old Kent Velocity carts used to. I find the sharper fast impulse harder than the heavier shove heave of slower burn powders to cope with.

It always surprised me how many find Superfast cartridges kicky, the Lyalvale Power Red 27g kick a lot more to me. I feel it both my shoulder and cheek. When my head feels like I've banged it and rings when I fire too many of that type of cart. It's time to put them through a different gun and to use a different cartridge to carry on.

I had major issues with fibre superfasts kicking me when I first started shooting. Moved on to gamebore velocity and all was fine. I now enjoy shooting the maxam imperial traps.

28g comp X barely kick at all.

Edited by BrowningB525